Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adjusting the price on LowEndDedicated ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Adjusting the price on LowEndDedicated ?

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
edited September 2012 in General

I want to start a central thread about the maximum price on dedicated that would get listed on LEB, currently $30/month.

Not many providers can offer a dedicated today at that pricerange (and if you buy it, most of time you would be better of with a vps in that pricerange).

So opinions please on what would YOU consider a valid pricerange when to call a dedicated offer "Lowend"?

• less then $50
  • $50 - $100
  • > $100

Don't consider these as the only options to choose from :) I want your opinion!

Comments

• Max 50 Euro in usd

• 50 USD seems valid, since nobody but OVH can match the $30.

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • Less than $75, or somewhere around that.

I've seen E3-1230 machines w/16GB RAM go for $55

• 50-100 sounds good. its reasonable

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Maybe you could have two 'leagues' of dedicated servers,

The point is to not invite a flood of really low-spec servers for the price close to the upper limit.

Also with the site being called LowEndDedi maybe you could leave out the second category altogether. But on the other hand, (1) there might be not enough offers in the first category; (2) the Hetzner page above is such an awesome deal, why not post it and similar offers, many will find this useful -- but it would not fit under the first limit.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

$70 (10 time the max for a vps) will make room for some good deal. Calling for crap isn't a good idea on hardware ;-)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • I vote for $49 (7^2)

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • I vote for $30 :p

• I vote for the Less than 50$. With 30$ you can get maximum an Atom with 2 GB ram ...

• I'd vote for $70ish.

• $50 but more importantly some kind of adjustment system for setup fees and other hidden costs (insane bw overage, etc).

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

$50 max.

• Around $50 yeah.

• $50 max.

What happened to the hosts that months ago wanted to offer Raspberry Pi dedicated servers? Granted, this cheap linux board is not a true server, but it does run Debian and can be useful for some low-end tasks.
    As quick update for those interested: the latest Raspberry board revision fixed the known small hardware defects of the original board. There is still a bug in the proprietary network/usb driver (it loses network packets and Usb events on heavy CPU loads), to be fixed soon.

• I'd vote for $50.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@pcan said: What happened to the hosts that months ago wanted to offer Raspberry Pi dedicated servers?

@William (Edis)
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2641/we-colo-your-rpi-for-free#Item_13

Thanked by 2pcan djvdorp
  • Anyone else offering special price for Raspberry Pi colocation (UK maybe)? Has someone already tried the Edis offer?

• The question really is why. I am waiting for somebody to hack an iphone 5 and turn it into a colo-machine. I think it has more power.

• @24khost i would, if you sell me an iPhone for $35 ;-)

• @rds100 lol!!!

My thought is the raspberry pi colocation might be about the most inane thing i have ever heard of. The only thing they might be good for is doing email. Most smart phones are more powerful.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I think under $100.

• Yes, the raspberry PI doesn't make a very usable server, but it is hard to beat the geek factor of having a PI server.

• @24khost said: The question really is why.

A good question, indeed. My answer is: to host a disaster-recovery backup copy of sensitive data that I don't want to be on shared hardware. Raspberry Pi seems to be the cheapest solution, and it is easy to ship around.

• By the way i think there is an app for android which makes it a web (and others) server ;-)

• your better off setting up a vps somewhere and just using that cost you less per month i think.

• I'd say <$75 anything less is just a drone of atoms or kimsufi resellers

• @Jack yeah true like datashack but a majority of the time that's not the case. Either way wouldn't mind some cheap dedi's to store some files/backups.

• Burst has cheap dedi's alot of the time. Celeron D 347, 1gb ram, 80 gb hard drive = 49.95

• $50 or less

Thanked by 2TheHackBox Infinity
  • lol. Well it is cheap. That is what was said.