Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS - Self-Hosted or Third Party?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS - Self-Hosted or Third Party?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited September 2012 in General

Another thread gave me the idea for this.

For my website, I use self-hosted DNS via this package:
1x 256MB OpenVZ VPS @ Front Range Hosting (Denver, USA)

It's running PowerDNS with a MySQL backend.

Comments

• For our sites we use DNSMadeEasy.com, they are probably one of the most reliable out there with 100% SLA as well :)

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

HOW MANY DNS THREADS??

...I do both.

• I do mainly self hosted with third party tertiary for some of the domains.

• Third party, self hosted DNS is a waste of your time & resources ... unless if its a component to your revenue stream or essential for your product/service.

Thanked by 1Patrick
  • I use Cloudflare for all my domains.

• Host our own, use namecheap for backup, configured cloudflare for backup backup.

• +1 for cloudflare

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

1 Primary NSD3 + 5 Secondary from dns.he.net. The primary one isn't even listed in the domain NS records. Works perfectly, and editing the zone file directly is much more convenient than dealing with some stupid web interface.

• I use CloudFlare for my DNS, but not the CDN/caching stuff. They are a great way to manage all of my domains in the same place with a pretty good and stable interface.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Third party. Easier and more reliable than any cheapo solution I'd come up with.

• @rm_ said: 1 Primary NSD3 + 5 Secondary from dns.he.net. The primary one isn't even listed in the domain NS records. Works perfectly, and editing the zone file directly is much more convenient than dealing with some stupid web interface.

I was thinking about using a model like this myself (eg 1 self-hosted primary + however many secondaries from other DNS providers)... works no problem w/o the primary NS in the zone file NS record eh? Interesting.

• 3rd party. I use AWS route53 because I only got 2 domains I need to host myself. $0.5 USD/month/domain. I used to host it myself with some free secondary dns but it is too much trouble.

• Well.. I'm using cloudflare and pointhq for dns service..

• I let my domain registrar handle it

• I'm just using name.com's DNS. It works fine.

• I use selfhosted anycast.

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • @william are there LEB providers that support customers injecting routes into Internet? Im guessing no for security/stability reasons. Can you suggest any low end options for self hosting an anycast service and handling the need for route injection for peeps not working at providers? The motivation for self-hosting is to learn (I realize I can just pay for the service but that's less fun ;))

• @cgraigb i doubt there is anything for $7/month or less, but still it is possible for a reasonable price. But do you have your own AS and at least /24 address space?

• @craigb don't do it, BGP is not for learning - Not on a global scale.
    You can cause extreme problems if you do wrong configurations, not only for you but for the entire internet.

Thanked by 2klikli gsrdgrdghd
  • @Willaim that only if your providers are lame and don't know how to do proper filtering :)

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited September 2012

@william yup, not planning to play Pakistan on the Interoutes ;). Assume I have more than a passing appreciation of WANs, routing and BGP but i'm totally new to anycast (read RFCs etc). What I'm trying to get at is how close can as a customer get to the implementation aspects?

• @MannDude said: I use Cloudflare for all my domains.

@NickBudi said: +1 for cloudflare

@wdq said: I use CloudFlare for my DNS

@Rikimaru90 said: I'm using cloudflare

• Hmm, started using dns.he.net for http://linuxvps.asia ... It works.

Anyone want to go in depth and tell me their opinions on he.net vs cloudflare for DNS?

• Haha, take easy my brother... We just love free stuff here..
    Besides, in mysight, orange cloud logo was cool... :p

@MannDude said: Hmm, started using dns.he.net for http://linuxvps.asia ... It works.

Anyone want to go in depth and tell me their opinions on he.net vs cloudflare for DNS?

Never used he.net DNS before since it always in a "beta", but really love to try it soon.
    But something have confuse me, from my country, access to he.net networks have some "up down up down" speed... how about their DNS service? (*keep thinking)

• This might be a stupid question, but what are the advantages of using a third party DNS? Is it that you can make changes to your IPs and that it will be updated instantly, so no need to wait for the nameservers to propagate?

• @wdq said: but not the CDN/caching stuff.

I wasn't aware you could completely disable the CDN/caching feature :O

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited September 2012

@Freek: Uptime. I let Route53 handle my primary DNS not because I can't (I can and do for any self-contained projects) but because I'd rather not deal with e-mail going down every time I screw up whatever VPS would host my nameserver.

• @MrDOS said: I'd rather not deal with e-mail going down every time I screw up whatever VPS would host my nameserver

You only have one nameserver?

External DNS hosting is a convenience if (a) you only have a handful of domains and are satisfied to let the registrar handle it, or use a free service, or pay a small amount for an entry-level commercial service; or (b) you have thousands of domains and have budgeted for a commercial service.

If you're somewhere in between -- with a few tens or hundreds of domains -- a self-managed, self-hosted solution is very worthwhile.

• Third party, don't have the time, or resources to maintain my own.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I prefer 3rd party as all my major sites are behind proxy's. I can't risk it with self hosted DNS services.

After hitting 30 million queries per month, switched from dnsmadeeasy to cloudflare to handle my DNS