Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good subdomain script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good subdomain script?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited September 2012 in Help

Hello,

So I got my .asia domain and someone suggested that I should provide a subdomain service which I thought would be a good idea. Don't want it to be among a million domains in afraid.org so I thought I should do it on my own.

Basically I just need something for which a user would be able to register for a subdomain and point it to his/her own domain/IP (like a CNAME/A record).

Anyone has seen something similar before?

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@zhuanyi Get a VPS server with MyDNS and build something yourself? Simple MySQL queries to update the DNS records on your end.

Never actually had a look around MyDNS, but you can do that right? ^^

• if you have WHMCS that would be easy for you to manage it. i have one (sub)domain free for cPanel order. and they can manage it from cPanel.

bornin.asia ? :D

• @Mon5t3r said: bornin.asia ? :D

you got it sir :)

• @Mon5t3r said: if you have WHMCS that would be easy for you to manage it.

Kinda expensive for that kind of set up considering it would be at least 30 bucks a months and honestly I don't want to charge anyone for a subdomain...

• Is there any cms in Softaculous available for this?

• @zhuanyi said: Kinda expensive for that kind of set up considering it would be at least 30 bucks a months and honestly I don't want to charge anyone for a subdomain...

okay i misread your original post then.. :D like what AsadHaider said, use mydns since it use mysql for storing all dns data. check on howtoforge, they have mydns control panel but i'm not sure if it still in develop or not.

• Why not use the hostingtool, setup subdomain hosting with kloxo and minimal storage like 10mb or $hits? This way they can do a bit more with their domain and your search is over. You can also offer premium hosting if needed ;)

• there was something named "myred" ....

• i think they changed its name

milliscripts.at

• @tridinebandim said: i think they changed its name

milliscripts.at

I've used this like five or more years ago, it's for website redirection/subdomain hosting not DNS hosting.

Requirements to run milliscripts Redirection 1.4 - php 4 - php 4.1 or greater!!!

I think they stopped developing it :P

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited September 2012

i tried it a few years(yea more than five) ago too,

but may help, just a starting point for google search etc. :)

there was a php script for cpanel subdomain creation too

• @tridinebandim said: there was a php script for cpanel subdomain creation too

If someone has cpanel,there are a lot of option available for free such as boxbilling, ALP etc.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: If someone has cpanel,there are a lot of option available for free such as boxbilling, ALP etc.

but even CPanel cost quite a bit :)

• I like this idea, bookmarked for later.

cPanel from @CVPS_Chris for $5 a month <3

• @Legendlink $5? Do share..

• @AsadHaider Oh gosh this was many many months ago they have it for $5, I believe in their recent offer it is $7.50.

• @Legendlink Aww ok :P Yeah I'm getting a server with the $7.50 license, it's still pretty damn cheap!

• i think for cPanel you can use their pluggable dnsadmin module http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/SoftwareDevelopmentKit/PluggableDnsAdminModules

Thanked by 1Legendlink
  • @Mon5t3r said: i think for cPanel you can use their pluggable dnsadmin module http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/SoftwareDevelopmentKit/PluggableDnsAdminModules

Yes, this comes default with CP....

Well, I guess my point is, I don't expect to generate any revenue on this project (just for fun, really), and if I do not get any revenue, I should not be spending 7.50 per month for it (I have a VPS from them so I would call that sunk cost), right?

• i was referring that link for AsadHaider and Legendlink :D

well it is easy for you to manage those stuff if you know a little about php and mysql (for mydns).

• @Mon5t3r said: well it is easy for you to manage those stuff if you know a little about php and mysql (for mydns).

I guess knowing MySQL is the easy part (I had to use MS SQL a lot in my previous job)...PHP? Next to none haha :)

We'll see how that goes, may be I'll just decide to pay @jshinkle a bit more :)

• LOL yeah sometimes i'm stuck with my own PHP script too :P

i think i can create the "base template" for your need, but don't ask me about the security :P don't have enough time for playing around with it.

• @zhuanyi read my comment regarding kloxo. Also another one just noticed Dhcart. Should be exactly what you need.

• shaunpudshaunpud Member
    edited September 2012

I've been creating something similar and have come up with this using a wildcard in bind;

# apt-get install bind9

# cat > /etc/bind/named.conf.local << EOF
    zone "." {
         type master;
         file "/etc/bind/root.zone";
    };
    EOF

# cat > /etc/bind/root.zone << EOF
    @ IN SOA . bornin.asia. (
         2012091501     ; serial YYYYMMDDnn
         86400          ; refresh (  24 hours)
         7200           ; retry   (   2 hours)
         3600000        ; expire  (1000 hours)
         172800 )       ; minimum (   2 days)

IN NS ns1.bornin.asia.
         IN NS ns2.bornin.asia.
         *. IN A 12.34.56.78
    EOF

# /etc/init.d/bind9 restart

Then with your index.php read the $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], look up your database and redirect using;

header('Location: '.$db_result);

• @shaunpud said: Then with your index.php read the $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], look up your database and redirect using header('Location:'.$db_result);

This, however, is HTTP-based redirecting. The TO wants DNS-based redirecting, afaik.

• shaunpudshaunpud Member
    edited September 2012

@japon said: This, however, is HTTP-based redirecting

Yeah that's true, sorry I should have mentioned that.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: read my comment regarding kloxo. Also another one just noticed Dhcart. Should be exactly what you need.

That's actually what I am trying, got Kloxo installed last night, will install Boxbilling/hostingtool when I have time tonight, which one is better? Boxbilling seems to have a really nice interface

• I am not sure about boxbilling but last I have checked, hostingtool has something for kloxo. @kujoe can confirm.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

When I was a dev, TheHostingTool only supported cPanel and DirectAdmin (barely).