Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secure Dragon VPS review w/ benchmark
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Secure Dragon VPS review w/ benchmark

edited August 2012 in Reviews

This is going to be a short and sweet review of Secure Dragon.

Looking for a low end box, Secure Dragon stood out due to their prices and the positive reviews. I'm a skeptic and I rarely associate cheap services with 'quality services'. Granted, I have only been a customer for a short amount of time but I'd say I've been more than impressed so far.

Started off with their 096 plan, I went ahead and pre-paid for 6 months. Things went well, I was using it for a dev LEMP stack that didn't really get used. Then I recently upgraded to their 0128 plan of which has been benchmarked.

Support hasn't really been needed, though I did shoot SALES a message after-hours with a question about upgrading. I think I got a response back in 10 minutes or so, more than acceptable. Since I submitted it to sales I didn't really expect to get an answer until the next morning, so getting a response with the answer so quickly was nice. I've never had reason to contact them about anything else.

View the benchmark results

Honestly, I'd pay more for my VPS as it's (so far) rivaled that of more expensive providers. If you're looking for a cheap VPS, check out Secure Dragon.

Comments

• Good review. I have a SecureDragon VPS I use as a VPN, and it's the only VPS I have where I've never noticed any slowdown at all, and it's always been up and available when I've needed it. I second the motion that the quality of the service rivals much more expensive providers.

• I did run a remote desktop on it for a short time, mainly because I've never ran a remote desktop anywhere before (or had any need to, still don't) and it was surprisingly responsive. I've used providers in the past where SSH lags real bad. Viewing a remote desktop on a 128MB machine was impressively smooth.

I've also rebuilt my VPS a ton of time as I was testing out a bash LEMP installer I was working on for my personal use. Anytime I made changes / updates to the script I'd just reinstall the OS and it'd only take like 60 seconds for it reload. Can't complain with that either.

• SecureDragon is the only VPS provider that I've used for any length of time that I haven't had to submit a support ticket to for anything. I use my VPS there as a syslog server and monitoring server and haven't noticed a single hiccup. It's pretty obvious to me that they're doing things right.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Ant they have stock

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Yeah - I totally agree with you, MannDude. SecureDragon are excellent and have top-notch services just like you'd expect from a premium provider. They are one of the guys in this industry that is so serious about what they do. I don't think @KuJoe ever sleeps but meh, who cares if they provide an excellent service. Well done SD!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

All of you rock! These kinds of threads are the reason we've been working on giving something back to the community. We've been working on some monthly contests/giveaways for current clients and a public raffle for both guests and clients. We'll start to utilize our forums and we'll be starting a newsletter also for monthly or bi-weekly communications (not sure how often people want to hear from us).

• did you draw that? its cute ^^

• @Randy Do you ever surf 9gag or 4chan? :o

• @budingyun said: Do you ever surf 9gag or 4chan? :o

obviously not :)

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited August 2012

@Randy Go get some fun there. :p

• @budingyun said: Go get some fun there. :p

Your avatar already made my day :)

• DeorDeor Member

Just lost an hour of my afternoon on 9gag, now its time to go home, result! Many thanks for your contribution today @budingyun

• flyfly Member

pretty good benchmarks. the unixbench seems a bit low, but not terrible.

@fly said: the unixbench seems a bit low

Yeah, it's the result of the older CPUs and the single core for each VPS. Luckily they work great for what they are used for and as long as our loads stay low I'm happy. :)

• @fly said: pretty good benchmarks. the unixbench seems a bit low, but not terrible.

More than adequate for what I use the VPS for, which is really nothing right now. May not be the best for a resource heavy application, but then again I'd rather have a dedi for anything heavy anyways.

Plus, I paid $10 for 6 months of service. I'd say that's well worth it.

• Even sweeter with their new pricing!

Not to mention that the new pricing is applicable to current clients and is applied to their current accounts!

@KuJoe TWO THUMBS UP

• I like SD too

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said: Yeah, it's the result of the older CPUs and the single core for each VPS. Luckily they work great for what they are used for and as long as our loads stay low I'm happy. :)

This is exactly my attitude. If it works, it is good, if it comes with the right price, is better. I dont need to win any race, to show off my VPS is the best, even tho I am pretty old in the industry and I know quite a few hosts.
    SD doesnt have the best hardware, best network, best price, best support, best specs, but it ranks high on all of those criteria and this is really rare these days.
    Good job Kujoe !
    M

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho

Thanks all. We worked hard to be able to get our pricing down for our LEBs and ULEBs and have some good things in store for our 256MB and 512MB OpenVZ plans. :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

damm you are making me want to get a box lol :S

• there's "Thanks" button in every comment, no need to write it down here :D

i know SD have a great management with all their stuff. i still have an old hardware too and it's going badly :P well done KuJoe and his SecureDragon!!

• We just moved some of our backups to SD, got a sweet yearly deal on a backup server + 25 off coupon - ended up being like $18 for BU25 plan.

Thanked by 1djvdorp