Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi 2G - Anything I should know about?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi 2G - Anything I should know about?

littleguylittleguy Member
edited September 2012 in General

Couldn't resist the 15EUR/month offer for a dedibox. I know it's Atom but 1TB space and unlimited traffic it's pretty sick.

Anyways, what is your experience with this plan, Kimsufi and OVH in general? Do you have any tips and tricks? Some concerns to think about?

Thanked by 1Tony_offshore

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Their support for some reason never answers me. And it is not truly unmetered.

Other from that - the pricing is a killer. I myself have a box and I am satisfied with them.

• As long as you order it from the french site, it's unmetered.

Don't expect anything but hardware replacement from support and you'll be fine.

I've been with OVH for years, with no issues. Extremely satisfied client here :)

• http://weathermap.ovh.net/
    http://status.ovh.net/

^ the best stuff from OVH beside their Manager v3 (i don't like that version 5).

network seems decent.
    support like what Alex said, (almost) never answer my ticket. but their monitoring and intervention quite good and promptly. they even faster than me when i want to restart my server for booting to "rescue pro".

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited September 2012

@Wintereise said: Don't expect anything but hardware replacement from support

I don't! This is my first dedi though. I understand it's single-disk. Other than regular backups, is there anything I can do to safeguard the data on the system?

Edit: If the disk breaks, can I expect to manually perform a full reinstall, or can you take periodical snapshots?

@Wintereise said: As long as you order it from the french site, it's unmetered.

Went to the UK site initially, but you can't pick a country other than the UK during the order procedure, so had to go via the French site.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@littleguy said: I don't! This is my first dedi though. I understand it's single-disk. Other than regular backups, is there anything I can do to safeguard the data on the system?

If you do regular backups, what else do you need? :)

Even if the drive fails, you will restore from a backup. You can monitor the HDD health, though.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: If you do regular backups, what else do you need? :)

I was thinking maybe they had a backup system with snapshots or something similar available. :) As for regular backups, is rsync the right way to go?

• I've got a Kimsufi 2G and I think it's great. Never had any problems.

• not quite sure but for OVH (not kimsufi) plan there's some small free ftp backup (100GB)

• Network is bad, never get more than 3MB/s uplink.

Otherwise it's good.

• @lele0108 said: Network is bad, never get more than 3MB/s uplink.

I can always get full speed here. you must be based in the US

• I been wondering is hardware replacement free or does it cost money

• @dragonballz2k said: I been wondering is hardware replacement free or does it cost money

That's free on every ovh server

• @DanielM said: I can always get full speed here. you must be based in the US

Yes, communication with US servers SUCK.

@dragonballz2k said: I been wondering is hardware replacement free or does it cost money

Replace hardware for free, usually in 24 hours (When I used them).

• @lele0108 said: Replace hardware for free, usually in 24 hours (When I used them).

Allthough in reality its about 3-5 Hours max.

• Cheaper (Mostly peering or own network) links to US obviously do suck. You get what you pay for, I'd call 3MB/s over a single thread extremely decent for the price you pay.

You also get 100GB of FTP backup space, @littleguy. Put that to good use.

Hardware replacement is free but usually takes a while ( < 12 hours though). English support is available, but sort of rare. You can get way better support if you can speak French.

• kornnflakekornnflake Member
    edited September 2012

-Do they still offer the 15EUR/month deal? Cant find anything here or on their site :(-

nvm found it ;)

• They do, yep.

• ovh's network in canada is beta at best atm still

• kalamkalam Member
    edited September 2012

@fly I don't believe that they'll be offering their Kimsufi line in Canada.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited September 2012

@littleguy said: unlimited traffic it's pretty sick.

It is not, you get throttled:

The traffic is unlimited. If you exceed 5TB/month for the Kimsufi 2G, 10TB/month for the Kimsufi 16G or 15TB/month for the 24G Kimsufi the connection will be limited to 10 Mbps. You can buy additional TB of traffic directly from your manager: £0.89 per TB. (Your connection will be restored after what you have exceeded has been taken >away).

We resold them (still have some active) at peak had about 70 ish and never really got a complaint. Their support is non existent, the management/billing panel is custom and SLOW AS FUUU. I mean it is in bad shape.

Never had an major issues, the bandwidth is congested, they are full of torrents, and outbound attacks. They are awesome tertiary backups or dev boxes.

• Isn't it 45EUR+VAT/quarter?
    Is there 15EUR/mo deal?

• On checkout they default to per quarter but you can change it to per month (13.99eu - 14.99else)

edited September 2012

@Jun said: Isn't it 45EUR+VAT/quarter?

The VAT calculation is also broken. If you try to purchase as a company (with valid VAT number) they still add VAT to the bill. This is wrong, companies inside the EU should not pay VAT.

• @HC_Ro said: the bandwidth is congested

Seeing some pretty bad ping times. :(

• It is not, you get throttled:

You do not if you order from France. The 5TB limit only applies for other sites.

I've done 32~ TB on these before, no fuss, no nothing. Though, you'll run into issues if you have more than one unmetered server under a single account. Don't do that.

Their bandwidth caps are account based, so if you get two 1gbit servers, you'll only share 1gbit between them.

• I've read somewhere that they'll charge you if you exceed 100Mbps?

edited September 2012

@shin said: I've read somewhere that they'll charge you if you exceed 100Mbps?

It seems (at least from my 2G box) that the port itself is 100 megabit, so you can't technically exceed that.

• Depends on what servers you have, yeah. For him, np.

• Intended use?

HDD's tend to vary in models; there's alot of crap drives thrown in, depends if you're going to be using this for a simple web server, or for something important, I used one for a seedbox and Deluge Web UI, was sweet.

edited September 2012

@eastonch said: Intended use?

Web host.

Here's a benchmark:
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2012/09/09/1E4SN3DLXgYg2KZI

Overall, I'm satisfied with the performance. Ping is a bit flaky, no doubt due to the amount of torrenting going on.

Thanked by 1serverbear