Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Android tablets? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Android tablets?

Comments

• @thharris said: Just get an HP touchpad they rock! Got mine for $150

That's no Android, is it ?

I advise you not to buy a cheap crappy tablet. The CPUs are way to slow for a smooth and joyful Android experience. Go with the Nexus 7 or one of the cheaper Galaxy tabs.

• Well, the CPU is good enough for video playback and for angry birds. What do you need faster CPU for?

• I dual boot android and webOS on my touchpad.

• @Freek said: Go with the Nexus 7 or one of the cheaper Galaxy tabs.

explained here

• @Freek said: I advise you not to buy a cheap crappy tablet. The CPUs are way to slow for a smooth and joyful Android experience. Go with the Nexus 7 or one of the cheaper Galaxy tabs.

But what about the Ainol Aurora II? The specs look pretty badass, and it's cheap (130 USD!)

http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo-7-aurora-ii-dual-core-1-5ghz-7-inch-ips-touch-screen-1g-ram-android-tablet.html

• @thharris said: Just get an HP touchpad they rock!

This. Managed to get one when they first went on sale, and CM9 is glorious.

• @thharris said: Just get an HP touchpad they rock! Got mine for $150

I actually enjoyed WebOS a little bit, unfortunate it lacks any apps though. I also got mine when it went on firesale. Performs pretty well if you ask me, little bulky for me though.

• @Cosmicgate and @Pats
    I got the information from @rm_ command on my older post.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=ainol+novo+7+tornados&catId=7&manual=y

I picked one with free shipping.

• Is there any cheap Android tablet ..on which we can access the webcam through flash .. something like http://chatroulette.com/(just an example)

• i have in my hand ainol novo 7 fire/flame.

bought it just for its screen resolution, and good enough that on 7 inch, full page pdf file is clear enough to read without need to enlarge the font (or zoom in).

however can't install google chrome (not compatible?), can use firefox though .... most probably need to flash it to dark elf (so it recognise as samsung device, so the uncompatible apps/game can be installed)

for email, web browse, and facebook/twitter ... already satisfied. and oh my main purpose, read pdf book/magazine ... superb!

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • nexus 7 for $199

• $150 for t-mobile galaxy 7, flash it then you have cell phone, kindle, game device, computer...

• After reading this thread, looks like ill be getting myself the ainol novo 7 fire from the local distributor this week. I was quoted $190 for it. Pretty cheap for a tablet if you ask me.

• Cosmic why not do extra 50 for the beast nexus 7?

• @nexus: there's no local distributor for the nexus. Ainol on the other hand offer after sales service( warranty claim, repairs etc) from the distributor. Besides, I like the fact that ainol has the hdmi port as I use my MacBook occasionally to watch movies on the tv at my gf's place.

• Guys .. anybody using this ainol 10 inch tablet ..or any other better option in your opinion.. http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo-10-hero-ii-10-1-inch-quad-core-tablet-pc-dual-camera-wifi-hdmi-bluetooth-gps-16gb.html

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited February 2013

@fresher_06 said: Guys .. anybody using this ainol 10 inch tablet ..or any other better option in your opinion..

The potential issue you might see is that it uses a Vivante (sp?) GC1000 GPU, which is relatively weak. Not particularly suitable for gaming, but if you don't do a lot, probably not a huge issue.

I have a Cube UG30T with the dual-core RK3066 CPU which uses a quad-core Mali 400 GPU, snappier and more rendering features. The newer quad-core RK3188-based tablets are starting to coming out, and look to be a pretty good value proposition.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I have an Acer Iconia A100 tablet with 7" display and Android 4.0.something that works fine, I am selling it for $140 because I don't need it. PM me if you want ;)

• ATM7029 aren't the best SoC around. I have no idea why Ainol switched to them. And @Microlinux is right, Vivante as a GPU on that SoC aren't good thing. It has worst support for 3D.
    If you are looking for a cheap tablet, get something with RK3066. They are proven to be fast and good enough for almost every task & app.
    But if you really would like a performance or the newest tech, either grab some chinese tablet on Samsung Exynos 4412 or wait for RK3166.

• my main usage will be to use it as a my apps tester machine.. with 10 inch screen.. if anybody has some cheap offers.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Pipo Smart S1 for under $90 delivered. Can't beat it for the price and it blows the Kindle Fire out of the water.

• @KuJoe It's not the 10.1" as @fresher_06 asking. And besides PiPo S1 has a cheap TFT screen with only 800x480 res. Very budget model, you can't compare it to Kindle Fire.
    The one PiPo what was comparable to Fire was PiPo U1 (and recent U1 Pro with HDMI) actually. Because it has IPS 1280x720 7" screen. I have one, and it's screen are really great. It beats Fire in that aspect. But it costs around ~$140 delivered worldwide. Still slightly better and cheaper than Fire. And much cheaper if you're not within the US, as in other places Kindle are more expensive.

• @fresher_06 if you aren't into exactly 10.1" you can try 9.7" tablets on new Allwinner A31 SoC. It's very recent quad core CPU.
    And if you need tablet for tests its good, because they have high-res screen, i.e. retina-like with 2048x1536 IPS screens. That way you can test&develop your apps for a maximum possible resolutions on market todays.
    Thats Onda V972, Chuwi V99, Ainol Novo 9 Firewire / Spark, Nextway F9X, more probably, just search aliexpress for "a31 retina". They are about $230 now, worths to spend additional ~$30-40 on them, than to get something with old screen&cpu.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@nstorm said: @KuJoe It's not the 10.1" as @fresher_06 asking. And besides PiPo S1 has a cheap TFT screen with only 800x480 res. Very budget model, you can't compare it to Kindle Fire.

I was replying to the OP who asked for 7" or larger. The S1 has a 7" screen.

It's still much better than the Kindle Fire. Battery lasts 4 times longer, wifi has better range, Google Play is a plus, better user interface, better performance, more thin, lighter, HDMI output, front-facing camera, and SD slot.

Kindle has better a more crisp display and better speakers, but that's about it. My 1 year old daughter likes it though so I let her use that instead of the PiPo. :)

• Since there are a number of pad/tablet enthusiast here, I have a question.

Is Asus MeMO Pad (entry-level, 7" inch Pad) any good? Is it worth it's price? - As, I am planning to get one myself.

• @KuJoe said: Pipo Smart S1 for under $90 delivered. Can't beat it for the price and it blows the Kindle Fire out of the water.

Pipo Smart S1 indeed is the best bang-for-buck 7inch tablet around (for a while) :)

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited February 2013

@KuJoe ic, got your point. But still U1 are nearly the same as S1 just with better screen.
    Means Fire < S1 < U1 )

• The cheapest you are going to find is the Aakash 2 for $20 Usd. Sadly, you aren't a Indian student.

• I have a Asus Transformer TF101 refurbished that I picked up from a Bestbuy store in December last year with the dock, turned out to be a really good deal since you can upgrade it to Android 4.3 and the CPU could easily be overclocked to 1.6GHz without any issue, plus you get a few more SDMC slots and a USB port on the dock for you to add a mouse and keyboard when you are at home (I found a keyboard a little too small)

• fresher_06fresher_06 Member
    edited March 2013

Just bought Pipo Smart S2, looks good , good battery life . screen is bit dim in brightness and sometimes u need to put an extra pressure .. but the device looks good.
    I have reflashed it with the latest firmware o get the root and few other benifites like 2 GB to install the apps and few more.. .. was a bit of hassle since i have MAC .. and u need loads of windows softwares fo flash . but successfully flashed it using the VMware image of Windows 7 on my mac.
    From the Google Play Store, I tried to install app which says that this app is not allowed in your country , so I thought of installing OpenVPN for android client (already have an OpenVPN setup on my VPS) .. initially it failed because of no "tun.ko" , got it installed by Tun Installer App .. configured the OpenVPN client .. but now i have stuck big time .. the open Vpn starts .. but it always hangs at

ROUTE default_gateway=192.168.0.1

god know whats wrong with this , but it never goes after that and it just restarts automatically by switch off with White screen ..

The same .ovpn file works on my mac as well as my N900 .. but here it just stucks ..

Does anybody have successfully ran the Open VPN on PIPO tablets .. or does anybody have faces the same issue

** One question -- is there any other way to install those apps in Android Apps which are not allowed in your country . apart from VPN..