Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torrents
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Torrents

davidnzdavidnz Member
edited August 2012 in General

Any VPS Providers allow them?

Comments

• Legal or illegal torrents?

• Nope. We block torrents at network level.

• I know we allow legal torrents as long as you come to presales. If you just sign up and start using torrent programs with nothing on record of your account saying you are allowed to use it for X then you will likely get warned then suspended if no reply.

• TazTaz Member

Most provider do not allow leeching/seeding both in case of legal and illegal usage due to the random I/o spike. However, if you are simply planning to link torrents like piratebay but only legal ones, almost every provider should allow that.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

My clients are more than welcome to torrent. Legal only. I'm not going to police it, but if you get a DMCA notice then that's it, no more torrents for you. I think that's reasonable.

• offshore, thats all i can think of atm
    I saw some offshore hosts have vps for $5

• @joodle what's offshore for you?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: @joodle what's offshore for you?

OVH :D

• I Think he means that the host/dc simply ignore take down notices?

• isn't it that torrent eats too much iops?

Thanked by 1Taz
  • budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited August 2012

Some provider just okay with private tracker. Most DMCA complaint happen when user use public tracker.

• GaryGary Member

Depends how conscientious the user is. On a LEB you should really throttle things and keep an eye on your disk and BW usage.

"Offshore" is a term used on digitalpoint, wjunction and the shadier places hosts advertise. It's meant to mean "beyond the reach of the law" but as the Demonoid thing proved (they were hosted in .UA), the powers that be will get you no matter where you are.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited August 2012

I only allow them on European servers, saves having to deal with the DMCA. Although I only permit 'legal'.

• @Gary said: "Offshore" is a term used on digitalpoint, wjunction and the shadier places hosts advertise.

Offshore is a terrible word, because not everyones offshore is going to be the same.

• If you don't get (too much) DMCA, don't use 100/1000Mbit all the time and don't rape the I/O we don't care.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MrLabradoodle said: Offshore is a terrible word, because not everyones offshore is going to be the same.

Since nearly everyone is concerned about DMCA notices for pirating U.S. content, I'd say "off-shore" still means something, but that's just me.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • seedbox providers recomendations?

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited August 2012

@corpus said: seedbox providers recomendations?

>

Be respectful and get a vps instead. I do not want abusive seedboxes on my node :P

Thanked by 1klikli
  • TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited August 2012

@corpus said: seedbox providers recomendations?

This is not a VPS but http://whatbox.ca seems to be good.

• @William said: If you don't get (too much) DMCA, don't use 100/1000Mbit all the time and don't rape the I/O we don't care.

Out of curiosity, how do you limit your I/O usage? I thought most torrent download clients stage writes as each torrent piece is finished, so is it just seeding that's usually a problem?

• We don't, but we monitor it and if needed use internal tools to limit it on a per KVM (on KVM) or per process (on VRS) base.

• BuyVM does with their CA IP's.

• It's more for private. using something like torrentflux. to be able to access it from anywhere. my internet is crap so it's maybe one torrent a week

• @davidnz Get a BuyVM server - tell support you want to use torrents, they'll be ok with it.

• @DanialM omg virgin media throttling, then you pull the same move.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Some torrenters think they are on a dedicated server and do nothing to respect the neighbours on the same node :-(

• I haven't had any problems torrenting on BuyVM. Then again they are all legal and I'm not thrashing the disk or network.