Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much would you donate to an Open-VZ panel? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much would you donate to an Open-VZ panel?

2»

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited August 2012

@Zen said: From my experience there are great coders, and then there are even greater coders with this very arrogant attitude (from my experience with..coders.. and even I am a coder myself but only for fun/hobby for the most part). Maybe I'm just unlucky.

When I go to a job interview I try to NOT sound arrogant but it's hard not to when they are 'questioning' your abilities when you arrive for the interview after they have read your resume. I've never personally hired a coder to do anything so I'm not sure about the general stereotypes :)

• @Zen said: Well that would make the difference to me (doing it accidentally or doing it because you honestly believe you are the best), someone taking personal pride in crapping on someone else's work, or acting as if his word is the be-all-end-all of opinions. Its almost as though half the coders I have ever worked with just don't have respect for each other and are constantly tagging on each other.

I have experienced coders tagging on each other in the workplace. One coder won't have as much experience as the other and think that you need to do it a certain way... and the other will think you need to do it the better way. From my experience even after explaining to another fellow coder how one way is better... they will prefer to do it the same way they always have and making coding a nightmare for the other coder.

This ends up being a competition of who can kiss the boss man's ass better so that the boss man that knows nothing about coding will side with one coder and make that a standard for the workplace.

Every job I've had none of the coders work 'together' they work AGAINST each other and separately.

• @Zen said: Pretty much what I was aiming for. Nice to know I'm not alone O_O

If I ever work as a coder again I'm going to make this clear to the boss man even the part about the 'kiss ass' that some people will do in the work place to get their way.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • 100-500EUR onetime?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

I think most of you missed @subigo's real motivation. I didn't get the impression that he wanted to work on this (at the point of this thread), I got the impression that he's decided to answer the constant requests that he continue working on this with a public statement of "Make this worth my while and I will." Fair enough, in my opinion. Although he originally stated he wanted to work on it, that desire seems to have passed before the creation of this thread. All good.

• From How much would you donate to an Open-VZ panel?
    to
    Talk to me when you have at least $10k ready to throw at it! > I was right you are looking for mulah! Anyone gets motivated with 10K

Is your choice bud

Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first.

Just do it !
    or
    Dont do it !

• how much you need?

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited August 2012

@tommy

@subigo said: You guys want an PHP based ovz-web-panel alternative? You better have a few thousand dollars to throw at it. You want a SolusVM alternative? Talk to me when you have at least $10k ready to throw at it.

Thanked by 1tommy
  • How are some of you not understanding this?

I do not now, nor have I ever, wanted to make a control panel a job. I do not want to make it a business. I do not care if a panel gets made.

I already do server management (for a LOT more than $50/month), so I figured I would use that as a way to fund development of a panel. Ten hosts all paying $50/month for some extra server admin help and in my free time I create a panel for them and support that panel... pretty good deal if you ask me. This way I am in no way making the panel my job, yet it gets made eventually. Everyone wins.

Instead, for whatever reason, the majority of you think I'm trying to turn a panel into a business. No. The ONLY reason I was even willing to create one, was because I've been asked so many times. At no point did I ever want to make it a job/business/something I am required to do.

If you guys are waiting around for a new panel to just pop up, it's not going to happen. Nobody is going to put that much time and effort into something like that when SolusVM/ovz-web-panel already does the job. If you people want a new panel, you're going to have to make it yourself or pay someone to do it.

Anyway, I'm not going to do it now. I'm never going to bring it up again after this post. I will not respond to PMs or emails asking about a panel in the future. Any interest I had in doing it is now dead. You guys are on your own.

• @subigo You should wait and see how your kick starter goes first (:

• @subigo said: I do not now, nor have I ever, wanted to make a control panel a job. I do not want to make it a business. I do not care if a panel gets made.

Then don't do it.

@subigo said: Anyway, I'm not going to do it now. I'm never going to bring it up again after this post. I will not respond to PMs or emails asking about a panel in the future. Any interest I had in doing it is now dead. You guys are on your own.

We'll somehow manage to go on living.

You're weirdly aggressive about this whole thing. I must have missed the thread where someone put a gun to your head and told you to code a panel you didn't want to code for no compensation.

Thanked by 3Zen NanoG6 alegeek
  • @Soylent said: Then don't do it.

Thanks for your permission. I won't.

@Soylent said: You're weirdly aggressive about this whole thing. I must have missed the thread where someone put a gun to your head and told you to code a panel you didn't want to code for no compensation.

Yeah, I'm aggressive. I'm fucking sick of all the cheap-ass people who have sent me over 100 PMs/emails in the last six months, who at the very thought of having to spend any money to get it developed, start bitching.

I guess that's what I get for even considering it. This forum is the pinnacle of the only industry in the world where a 16 year old can do the same thing as a hobby that a multi-million dollar company does to stay in business. I guess it's hard to fund a panel when the only real money you make comes from the allowance your parents pay you each week. It has become a joke.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@subigo Well in all fairness,

I wanted time to work on things I like...
    One of those things will be BoxCtrl (openvz panel)

We get now that you don't want to, but it came across differently ;)

• @jarland: I'd say its more of a love-hate thing for @subigo. He likes working on it, but hates all the pressure people are giving him for it.

Honestly, @subigo, do whatever you want. You don't need any community approval. If you need any financial support from any providers I'm sure if you approach them privately they're more than willing to help you out. People PMing you and asking you to do everything for free obviously don't understand how the real world works yet.

• So you decided you'd like to create a panel as a hobby, and you announced that. Then you get mad because people keep contacting you to ask you how that whole thing is going. Then you say you don't want to create a panel as a business, but you've done nothing but bitch about how no one is throwing money at you.

Get over yourself, get on with your life, and when people PM you give them a one line canned response about how you're not working on that project anymore. Stop martyring yourself on the altar of righteous indignation.

Look at my pain! I have been affronted! People I'm openly disdainful of are not paying me to engage in my hobbies!

• subigosubigo Member
    edited August 2012

@Soylent said: So you decided you'd like to create a panel as a hobby, and you announced that. Then you get mad because people keep contacting you to ask you how that whole thing is going. Then you say you don't want to create a panel as a business, but you've done nothing but bitch about how no one is throwing money at you.

Get over yourself, get on with your life, and when people PM you give them a one line canned response about how you're not working on that project anymore. Stop martyring yourself on the altar of righteous indignation.

Look at my pain! I have been affronted! People I'm openly disdainful of are not paying me to engage in my hobbies!

You're a fucking moron who can't read. Your mother should feel bad for not having an abortion.

• Not to derail, but the basic guts of our KVM stuff is F/OSS and on GitHub ( https://github.com/KnightSwarm/Squire ). Would still require someone to create a WHMCS module to connect with it if they wanted to actually use it, and is currently provided as-is without instructions or support.

• subigosubigo Member
    edited August 2012

@Zen said: LOOK! ITS LOGIC!

Proper grammar is not the same thing as logic. Your mother should feel bad for not having an abortion.

@Zen said: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand its gone again

"it's"

Fixed that for you.

• He wasn't correcting your grammar, since there was nothing wrong with it. His point was that you were this close to actually making some kind of logical argument, but you missed and managed to act less mature than the 16 year olds you seem to have such a problem with.

• @subigo you have lost all respect from me... You keep flipping sides. One minute it's something you want to do and are looking for a little funding so you can. The next minute we should all be thankful that you are bestowing your coding knowledge to this stupid panel.

@subigo said: I already do server management (for a LOT more than $50/month), so I figured I would use that as a way to fund development of a panel. Ten hosts all paying $50/month for some extra server admin help and in my free time I create a panel for them and support that panel... pretty good deal if you ask me. This way I am in no way making the panel my job, yet it gets made eventually. Everyone wins.

YOU JUST literally complained that $500/mo wasn't enough with no work required on your end (most of us are donating and not hiring you to manage our servers.)

Proof:

@subigo said: Talk to me when you have at least $10k ready to throw at it. Until then, either make it yourself, hire an Indian programmer to do it for $500, or stop sending me non-stop messages about it.

@subigo said: You realize I wrote an Open-VZ panel in the past, correct?

SO why is it such a big deal that you even get $500/mo when all you are going to be doing is updating your old panel and adding a few features?

Thanked by 1telephone
  • @Soylent said: He wasn't correcting your grammar, since there was nothing wrong with it. His point was that you were this close to actually making some kind of logical argument, but you missed and managed to act less mature than the 16 year olds you seem to have such a problem with.

Have you ever seen a picture of a platypus?

• You people have the comprehension skills of a three year old. Enjoy driving this industry even more into the ground. This forum and the hosts who use it will be gone within three years. I guarantee it.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited August 2012

Hehe! (^__^)
    :Giggles:

• @KnightSwarm_Phillip said: Not to derail, but the basic guts of our KVM stuff is F/OSS and on GitHub ( https://github.com/KnightSwarm/Squire ). Would still require someone to create a WHMCS module to connect with it if they wanted to actually use it, and is currently provided as-is without instructions or support.

Great stuff! Will be looking at this. We're interested in doing a KVM panel. No, won't be asking for money at this stage :) Purely as a hobby outside of any real job to get a better understanding of how it all works.

• 10k? I'll do it for 9 and I'll include KVM in it.

• @NickM said: 10k? I'll do it for 9 and I'll include KVM in it.

$9k? The best LET can do is... $123.23 and $30 in store credit. They've got "businesses" to think about.