Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom billing/control panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Custom billing/control panel

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited August 2012 in General

Hi

If I started up as a hosting company, I wouldn't have the money at first for something like WHMCS or SolusVM. I know I could use hypervm or similar but the custom feel (like 6sync) is better. Are there any good free systems (not boxbilling) that have the custom feel, or how hard is it to build one? Preferably with a VPS control panel integrated.

Thanks!

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I could, but custom is better

• I agree, with zen.
    for custom billing at least $1000
    use whmcs unbranded with custom template

• VictorVictor Member
    edited August 2012

@dominicl said: I could, but custom is better

wut?

@dominicl said: I wouldn't have the money at first for something like WHMCS or SolusVM

• Do you mean to create it by yourself or what?

Inglar, yes I did. I suppose I could use whmcs and hypervm or something

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

You dont seem to know what you want really, unless you got money to spend on a custom billing software get WHMCS. HyperVM is kinda outdated why would you want to use it?

if you dont have money how do you expect to pay for a server? start with a reseller and start off from there

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Please don't take offense to this but seriously, you're asking how to setup Apache vHosts, you can't even look for a simple tutorial or read Apache's documentation, somehow I don't think I'm alone in wondering if you have enough experience to start a host. There's a reason I'm not running a VPS host, I want to gain experience first, because I know I'm not ready, I know I want to hurry myself - but ruining my reputation is easy to do when I hurry, just a thought.

• Maybe you should start with web hosting first? Gain some experience then add vps hosting.

edited August 2012

Previously, I worked with a provider and assisted people and got familar with Linux, and other distrobutions and think this is a starting point, which I can advance at over time

@dominicl said: I've had loads of experience with managing servers with openvz because of where I used to work. Every day I had to manage them! I've installed it countless times before and am experienced with it.

How about general Linux? I'll assure you, you will have a few problems once in a while.

edited August 2012

Sorry can't quote, on my phone.

Infinity - I manage servers every day, all Linux based.

Liam - As said above..in previous post.

edited August 2012

@dominicl said: Infinity - I manage servers every day, all Linux based.

Then why couldn't you read the very simple and straight forward documentation for httpd? I'm sure most people managing Linux servers have had to read documentation before.

Thanked by 2klikli tux

@Infinity said: Then why couldn't you read the very simple and straight forward documentation for httpd? I'm sure most people managing Linux servers have had to read documentation before.

I thought it was harder than it was. After reading the docs, I managed to do it straight away and it works fine.

@liam said: I wonder what @bluevm thinks of that accusation?

From what I can see Justin is experienced and skilled with linux at the command line level and does not solely rely on managing the node from hypervm...

I wasn't trying to put them down in any way, sorry. I was referring to what @Randy said: "HyperVM is kinda outdated why would you want to use it?". I think HyperVM is good for what it does, although it may not have the nicest design ever.

There is also Cloudmin, but I've never used that one before.

Thanks.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

From the looks of it - you have 100$ or less and are trying to save every buck, just like your other thread for running a vps node with a single HDD. I am not sure that you even have enough to run it for 1 month, not to talk about more than that. I want to asure your that it is not so easy to gain customers, and you would not be getting enough for the first couple of months. SolusVM + WHMCS cost like 25$ together. If you can not afford it, just don't start and don't even think of starting a new venture... Besides, summer is almost over.

edited August 2012

Alex, I do have more than $100 to put into this, and I realise that it's not going to be easy to gain customers at the start. It would certainly not be a summer host and it would be a long-term venture, like Liquid-Host ;) I understand that WHMCS and CE cost about $15 per month, and SolusVM about $9 per month (if i choose to use SolusVM).

Regards,
    Dominic

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

hostbill is 100 $

@Randy said: Wrong hostbill cost 100+

Oh yea, they used to have a monthly license but switched to yearly. Forgot about that - you can't buy it monthly anymore.

Anyway, I think you get the message I'm trying to get out.

edited August 2012

@dominicl said: like Liquid-Host ;)

Nice strategy.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Stick with the reseller idea. You don't have enough experience yet to run a host. I say this in a friendly manner, but saying you have experience doesn't qualify as experience, I believe it has been stated that you are under 18 you do not have many years experience in Linux. It's not even just about potential customers, it's what you'll do to your own confidence and wallet that are of concern.

I am sure you have some experience, but the questions you have asked in previous threads are direct indications of gaps in vital knowledge including, but not limited to, an inability to google effectively. Again, I say this not to tear you down, but to warn you as a friend.

@jarland - I understand what you're saying, but I have worked at a host (on here) before and was managing Linux, OpenVZ based servers with SolusVM nearly every day and gained a lot of experience from that. I manage Linux servers every day, as I said. I am more experienced with managing Linux-based servers than Windows! Haha.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well regardless, if you end up doing this you have my support as a fellow LET community member and I'm happy to advise where I can. Just like @Randy who we all thought started too early but were willing to assist, because good people don't desire to see well intentioned people fail. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

Now for my advice. Get SolusVM. Don't think about it, don't entertain other options. If you planned on making $20/m profit on rented hardware (for example), cut your profit in half and do yourself a huge favor. BoxBilling also seems great, any reason not to use it?

@jarland - Thanks for that, and yes I will get SolusVM I guess. It's much easier and probably will be better in the long run. I should be able to get the costs back of at least the billing system and Solus after the 1st/2nd month.

Thanks.

• @dominicl said: costs back of at least the billing system and Solus after the 1st/2nd month.

Your're not aiming high are you :P

• LowEndAmbition.com

• @dominicl Talk to @Randy, he already owns domain, whmcs, solus, you don't need anything else.

• Yes i agree with @liam here. and please take my advice and resell vps and use a reseller account. consider yourself lucky that your parents is willing to support you with this.
    . get yourself a job. age dosent matter when it comes to job

If you wish to get severs and deploy vps

@jarland i wil be back;-) not as a reseller ofcuz;-)

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

Vps reselling can cut cost

@Randy said: age dosent matter when it comes to job

Yes it does....

@liam - I have done that ;-)

@Randy - I believe you're 15 or 16 too..and had TheHostingSquad.

As I said, previously, I worked with a provider and assisted people and got familar with Linux, and other distributions and think this is a starting point, which I can advance at over time. You don't need 100% linux experience and don't need to know every command in the Linux dictionary in order to start. As I said, I do have enough experience to start off, as I have managed my own company in the past, and have been management for a long period of time at another.

• What's wrong with boxbilling now?