Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much would you donate to an Open-VZ panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much would you donate to an Open-VZ panel?

subigosubigo Member
edited August 2012 in General

nah... nevermind.

Comments

• If you keep getting emails and PMs about it, wouldn't that imply that there is demand for it?

• @NickM said: If you keep getting emails and PMs about it, wouldn't that imply that there is demand for it?

Yeah, plenty of people demand it... but putting money towards it is something completely different. Not a single person who has emailed/PM'd me has been willing to put any kind of real money behind it. A control panel is almost a full-time job and people think I'm going to waste my time for a few hundred dollars... not going to happen.

• As a end user happy with solus nothing :P

• Rewritting SolusVM into better code would be great :P

• @apollo15 said: Rewritting SolusVM into better code would be great :P

SolusLabs will eat you.

• Welcome to the real world!
    Ok well based on what you said subigo you are just looking for someone to paid you a full time job. I think you are right 100% you are just wasting your time and our time!

Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first.

Good Luck!

Thanked by 2Zen Wintereise
  • subigosubigo Member
    edited August 2012

@SDH_TREXTOR said: Welcome to the real world!

Ok well based on what you said subigo you are just looking for someone to paid you a full time job. I think you are right 100% you are just wasting your time and our time!

Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first.

Good Luck!

lol... what?

You realize I wrote an Open-VZ panel in the past, correct? The ONLY reason I even talk about it, or bring it up, is because I get messages EVERY SINGLE DAY from people on this forum asking me to create another one.

I'm not looking for a job. I don't need your money. But if people are going to really ask me to undertake something as time consuming as a control panel, they better be ready to back it up.

There's no way on Earth that I'm going to spend 8+ hours a day working on something for free. There's a reason there are only a handful of panels to choose from... and those that exist, only exist for one of two reasons. Either the creator wanted to charge people monthly and turn it into a business (solusvm) or the creator needed to create it for their own personal reasons (ovz-web-panel).

Nobody in their right mind is going to start a project like this just because a group of people on LET demand it and might throw a few hundred dollars at it. I don't run a VPS company more, so I have no reason to work on it myself. If people want me to spend my time on it, they better make it worth it. You guys want an PHP based ovz-web-panel alternative? You better have a few thousand dollars to throw at it. You want a SolusVM alternative? Talk to me when you have at least $10k ready to throw at it. Until then, either make it yourself, hire an Indian programmer to do it for $500, or stop sending me non-stop messages about it.

• Start a Kickstarter. Tell people about it. You'll determine the amount of demand.

Thanked by 2Andri marrco
  • $0.00 - $200.00 /mo. depending on how good it is? If its commercial grade and we switch to it I'd probably donate at least $50 a month.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If it gets commercial grade, as mentioned, I am willing to donate atleast 15-20$ per node that uses it. I think it is more than reasonable... However if you start developing it, I will try to throw down something before the release as well.

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited August 2012

@subigo said: hire an Indian programmer to do it for $500

I Lol'd. But still, damn that's is that even possible?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I wouldn't mind donate some

• I think this is good idea:

@Soylent said: Start a Kickstarter. Tell people about it. You'll determine the amount of demand.

And people will know how much you need, mate.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

Agree with kick starter just because if it doesn't raise the money, it doesn't raise the money. If it raises a fair amount but not enough, post it as is on github with an open source license and call it a day. Maybe add a feature. Right now, technically, BoxCtrl is not available. It's been uploaded a couple places, but it has no public presence. Giving it that is still doing something.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited August 2012

@subigo

To be honest I doubt you're going to receive enough upfront. You'll probably receive $500 or so in donations. But there are a lot of hosts that would be willing to pay monthly after the finished product is available.
    In my opinion, most hosts here would feel more comfortable paying monthly, as that way they'll know you'll continue to be around (to provide support and update bug fixes). Where as if it's a once off project, you could abandon it at any time... I know that's not what you're after but this is the way I see it happening.

@subigo said: I don't run a VPS company more, so I have no reason to work on it myself. If people want me to spend my time on it, they better make it worth it.

I know the predicament you're in, but you're showing a lot of interest in this project. If you didn't want to create a panel then you would simply ignore the emails and PM's like most others do :p

• Fine. I created a Kickstarter project. It takes up to a week to be reviewed and posted. If they allow it, I'll post back here. If they don't, consider it dead for good.

Thanked by 1martip07
  • @subigo said: Fine. I created a Kickstarter project. It takes up to a week to be reviewed and posted. If they allow it, I'll post back here. If they don't, consider it dead for good.

Just post a Paypal donation link if it's not approved, I am sure people will be more than happy to contribute. :)

• Would depend on the code quality.

• @Zen said: You do realize that if you make an alternative to SolusVM you can practically steal their customer base?

You do realize that I'm not doing this to steal a client base or start a business, right? I'm doing it because everyone keeps asking, everyone keeps saying it needs to be done, but nobody gets off of their ass to do it. Well, pay me and I'll go do it for you. Don't pay me and I'll continue to not give a fuck either way.

Seriously. I do not care if it happens or not. If I get paid, I'll do it just like I would do any other job. Otherwise, long live SolusVM or whatever panel you use.

• @Zen said: Then don't do it, you're complaining about people asking to do it but not backing it, implying some sort of financial need - if there isn't any then just don't do it and stop being a drama queen.

Yeah, Heaven forbid I get paid to put my life on hold to do 300+ hours of work (just for starters). Financial need? Shit yeah there's a financial need. I'm not running a charity and I'm not going to make a control panel out of the kindness of my heart.

Every month a new "solusvm alternative" thread pops up and it goes in the same circles over and over again. Nobody does anything because it's time consuming and a lot of work. Well, I'll put in the time and work, but I'm not going to do it for free. In the end, it's just another case of LET wanting everything for nothing. The hosts around here might be willing to lose money by offering retarded prices in exchange for clients, but I sure as hell am not.

You know what? Screw it. This thread just makes me realize how happy I am to actually be out of this ridiculous industry. I don't know what I was thinking by offering to do it in the first place.

Enjoy SolusVM, $0.50/month VPS containers, living off ramen noodles, and the next "solusvm alternative" thread that is sure to pop up. This industry has been beaten to death. I'm out.

• @subigo said: You know what? Screw it. This thread just makes me realize how happy I am to actually be out of this ridiculous industry. I don't know what I was thinking by offering to do it in the first place.

You need to hop on a jet plane and go somewhere and relax. There is nothing wrong with having a financial requirement to motivate you, the public display of it makes you look petty though, and I've always viewed you with a bit more composure.

Enjoy SolusVM, $0.50/month VPS containers, living off ramen noodles, and the next "solusvm alternative" thread that is sure to pop up. This industry has been beaten to death. I'm out.

SolusVM functions, it has it's fair share of bugs, and seems every other panel out there does as well, so right now it sucks less.

• @subigo said: Yeah, Heaven forbid I get paid to put my life on hold to do 300+ hours of work (just for starters). Financial need? Shit yeah there's a financial need. I'm not running a charity and I'm not going to make a control panel out of the kindness of my heart.

We're ok with that. I think the problem is no one is ready to fund you whilst you develop it that's all. Once it's done they'll be ready to purchase it. We all want an alternative, but it has to be ready. Not that I have doubts in you, but how can we know that this won't fail and it will be better than SolusVM? I doubt any business would take such risks.

I see most startups and those doing things for profit will have to fork out their own time to get it done and as others have said to take this risk. If you're whole-heartedly into it then please do so.

Lots of people scream that they want alternatives. Try search for things like "Apple sucks", "Android alternative", etc... they are everywhere. However, the % of people willing to fund someone or a team to do it without even a proposal of what it is minus it's a panel would be impossible.

Good luck!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

Honesty if we were in a position to do so, I'd approach a few other hosts and try to gather some real funding for development, because like you said, plenty of us want a solution that doesn't exist and we know you're capable and willing with the right (and appropriate) incentive. The savings for a host of decent size could be huge.

Maybe that's an idea for large hosts that are interested, or maybe that's me saying I'll gladly approach you at a later date when I've more to offer. Either way I appreciate you exploring the possibility of continued development.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • where is your kick starter ?

i have seen your panel, its neat and clean

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I think there are a few motivation which drive the continue research for a solusvm replacement
    1) lack of features / bugs
    2) price model. $10 are easy to start with, but hundreds/thousands make you consider alternatives :)
    3) closed source code

If you are serious about this then prepare a features plan, some mockups, time and costs estimate, etc. then go out raising funds (better out of the hosting world) ;)

Asking for casual contributions can be useful only if you are willing to develop the code in any case for your own satisfaction or needs ;)

Thanked by 1Liam
  • @subigo said: You know what? Screw it. This thread just makes me realize how happy I am to actually be out of this ridiculous industry. I don't know what I was thinking by offering to do it in the first place.

Let's put it this way, how about I start a VPS company, use your panel, and you pay me 100 hours' worth of effort for setting up the machine and starting the business and then you get half of the profit? Will you do that?

I do not think there is anyone who doubt you will be able to code up a Solus alternative, but honestly, will it be perfect? Will it be so great that even if Solus charges 10 bucks per license and you charge 200 upfront people will still use yours? I do not know. Heck, we don't even pay the big boys like Microsoft and Oracle for development until they come up with a product, why should we pay you that much?

Not trying to be an ass but @subigo, while you may be smart and talented, it is your time to learn not to be arrogant.

• @subigo said: Yeah, Heaven forbid I get paid to put my life on hold to do 300+ hours of work (just for starters). Financial need? Shit yeah there's a financial need. I'm not running a charity and I'm not going to make a control panel out of the kindness of my heart. [more whining snipped]

Then don't do it. What the fuck did you even start a thread for? A lot of us code because we like to code. 99% of my projects I work on because I enjoy it. It's a hobby. I know the majority of them will never even go live, but on everything I do I learn at least one crucial thing that'll help me on one of the projects that does.

If you have the time and skill and inclination to write a control panel, then do it. You don't need validation. If you'd come here and said, "I really want to work on this as my next project, but I can't afford right now to take that much time away from paying clients to work on it. Are there people who'd be willing to donate to it?" I'm sure you'd have gotten some bites.

Thanked by 3Zen Inglar Pats
  • CoreyCorey Member
    edited August 2012

YDGH has offered $50/mo in donations and a free dedi for this project. I've seen other people also offer $50/mo in donations at least..... (When @subigo was offering server management for $50/mo ). The way this is going now makes me sad.... he's trying to make a job out of it when he said in the first place he WASN'T going to make a job out of it and just wanted a little compensation for spending some time on this and a little less on what he's already doing. He said SCREW IT in the first place because noone wanted to buy his Server Management packages to fund this but then people said they would rather donate..... and now he wants even MORE money? It's pretty simple to LIMIT yourself on the time you spend on this project every month so talking about 8 hours a day blah blah blah is pretty moot.

@subigo said: You do realize that I'm not doing this to steal a client base or start a business, right? I'm doing it because everyone keeps asking, everyone keeps saying it needs to be done, but nobody gets off of their ass to do it. Well, pay me and I'll go do it for you. Don't pay me and I'll continue to not give a fuck either way.

Seriously. I do not care if it happens or not. If I get paid, I'll do it just like I would do any other job. Otherwise, long live SolusVM or whatever panel you use.

I'm pretty sure people are asking you because of the first thread you started when you said you were going to offer server management packages to fund this.

Besides that this guy already has an openvz panel right? Wouldn't he just be cleaning up the code and adding features to the panel that already exists?

Much like everyone else said..... why not take a risk and develop this and make money from it? You seem to require that you get paid more than what it's worth anyway.... so what's the big deal about making it a business?

Thanked by 2Zen dmmcintyre3
  • @Zen said: I think this is a classical case of typical coder mentality... I've ran into it so many times in the past 3 years I think it has self-validated itself as a stereotype.

Not sure what you mean, because I've been paid over $20/hr+ at previous jobs doing PHP and I'm still doing YDGH as well (which is a risk).