Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another good offer from Uncle Sal!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another good offer from Uncle Sal!

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited August 2012 in Providers

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1184600

Note their Biz VPS has a HA set up with fast SAN storage, so the price is really good if you are looking for something to host a production site.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho

Comments

• flyfly Member

ovz :/

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

Told him long ago... He is afraid he wont be able to get his hands in the servers when something goes wrong.
    M

• @Maounique said: Told him long ago... He is afraid he wont be able to get his hands in the servers when something goes wrong.

He lives in the DC and sleep next to his servers? @prometeus :p

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi said: He lives in the DC and sleep next to his servers?

yes I do :P

The fact is that in the first years of our business we had servers all around the world and it was frustrating when we had problems on servers and it was difficult to talk with somebody on the DC.
    I still remember one hurricane hitting a DC in 1999, having everything down and no clue of what was happening while clients were writing and calling about their services.

Today things would be better, but I need some more time to change my mind :)

• @prometeus said: yes I do :P

How about hiring some emergency technicians who lives close to the DC? With your experience and reputation here I won't be surprised if you could even find some volunteer who wants to be on call when there is trouble :)

@zhuanyi said: I won't be surprised if you could even find some volunteer

indeed...
    M

• @prometeus said: Today things would be better, but I need some more time to change my mind :)

Hope you do. I've been going crazy trying to find another provider to match Uncle Sal just because we have a requirement to have a hot spare server in another DC in case those "storms" happen. Uncle's too awesome to be matched in Europe unfortunately. We still haven't found one.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@zhuanyi said: I won't be surprised if you could even find some volunteer who wants to be on call when there is trouble :)

Those things usually don't work long term. Hosting business is not just dd=LET=kindergarden hobbists joke. Many new lowendtalk/lowendbox dependable hosts don't know this yet but I am pretty sure that Sal know it better...

Thanked by 2Liam [Deleted User]
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@concerto49 said: Hope you do. I've been going crazy trying to find another provider to match Uncle Sal just because we have a requirement to have a hot spare server in another DC in case those "storms" happen. Uncle's too awesome to be matched in Europe unfortunately. We still haven't found one.

Italy is unlikely to be hit by such a storm. You should be safe with Prometeus, however backups should be taken, no matter who is your provider.

• Italy most certainly will be hit by the Euro storm in the next couple years. And that can easily take out whole datacenters. Of course it's hard to find a safe location for that...

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Italy is unlikely to be hit by such a storm. You should be safe with Prometeus, however backups should be taken, no matter who is your provider.

Wouldn't really mind if it's still in Italy I'd say if that helps - just like lots of providers have DC in different areas of US. So Uncle can still get a cab across to the other DC if needed.

• New job chances :D

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

At present the only off site resources we have are some servers used for backups and other secondary services.
    A new location will require first of all a new business plan (or at least some numbers on toilet paper) and a budget to cover initial costs and sustain the project. We are short on toilet paper at present, so figure... ;)

Thanked by 1jcaleb

@prometeus said: We are short on toilet paper at present, so figure... ;)

Some guy was carrying a huge number of toilet paper rolls. A friend sees him and asks why so much toilet paper ?

• I heard there are sh***y times coming...
      M
    Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @Maounique said: - I heard there are sh***y times coming...

Tell me about it LOL, even my VPS budget has to shrink a little

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@zhuanyi said: Tell me about it LOL, even my VPS budget has to shrink a little

Ah.. Well my food budget had to shrink..

• PatsPats Member
    edited August 2012

@prometeus said: but I need some more time to change my mind :)

giving you 6 months... enough or need more ? :D
    Mr Sal, i think you should put your flags nearby first, one at a time... UK, GER, NL..

@prometeus said: We are short on toilet paper at present

ah.. use the search.. there should be few low end offers on this... how much GB/TB? :p

• If my country becomes a province of Italy, will uncle sal put some servers here?

edited August 2012

@Pats said: Mr Sal, i think you should put your flags nearby first, one at a time... UK, GER, NL..

Neah, It will be Romania first !
    After all, Romanians are the biggest minority in Italy right now and the italians have even a seat in romanian parliament reserved for their minority here :)
    I am pushing this idea for a month already and even put a server in a dc here for uncle sal to test BW !
    M

• Besides the Romanian language and the Italian language share common roots so Romania would be the logical choice :)

• Which one will have better ping to Asia? :3

Thanked by 1Andri
  • Sicily sounds kind of cool too, although it is still Italy.

• PatsPats Member

@Maounique said: After all, Romanians are the biggest minority in Italy right now and the italians have even a seat in romanian parliament reserved for their minority here

after Romania extension, I think Mr Sal should go by popular Demand, you may put up a quick post to check in which locations people want..

• PatsPats Member
    edited August 2012

@jcaleb said: If my country becomes a province of Italy, will uncle sal put some servers here?

sure... take my word on that.. better start cleaning your room... :D

Thanked by 2jcaleb djvdorp
    edited August 2012

@rds100 said: Sicily sounds kind of cool too, although it is still Italy.

Uncle Sal is from Sicily :)

@NanoG6 said: Which one will have better ping to Asia? :

Well, please test it ! A traceroute and ping as well as testfile here at this IP:
    http://109.163.230.155/100mb.test

I am curious myself how that fares from various Asian locations. I doubt will be better than Uncle Sal's top notch network, tho. However it has DDoS protection.
    M

• Woaa it's 800ms

edited August 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Woaa it's 800ms

lol :D Definitely not a good idea for asia, however they offer l3 too, but that is 500 Eur a month, wouldn't fit my budget, was just a server I put up for backup and test. If Uncle Sal will decide to put some servers here, will probably take layer3.
    And speed ?
    M

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited August 2012

ninja edit--

I opened a special thread for this, please post there :)
    besides your < pre > are broken a bit :)
    M

• That's because the CMD messup. Forgot to edit the first ping