Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Backup Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Backup Server

SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
edited August 2012 in Providers

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'm assuming it is :)

We've be searching for a decently priced backup server, that I plan to use for SolusVM FTP backup use.
The best price I've found so far is from FDC Servers, http://fdcservers.net/specials.php. I'm looking at "Backup Server 2", (E5200, 4GB RAM, 2x2TB HDD, 1Gbps Port) for $99. It seems like they have pretty good reviews, but I'm here to see if there are any places that may offer a better deal than FDC.

Comments

• as far as i know Solusvm automated backup is a failed system

get OVH if you large disk space (ofcuz shitty connections)

• Choopa had a 8TB backup server deal for $60/month, not sure if its still available

Thanked by 1SimpleNode
  • @FTN_Kevin said: Choopa had a 8TB backup server deal for $60/month, not sure if its still available

THIS is a good deal! :)

• @Randy 100mbit is a shitty connection?

• @eastonch said: 100mbit is a shitty connection?

there are lots of abusers in OVH, i cant really expect much from it

• Holy shit FDCServers is expensive... $299 for setup of a 2TB disk? I'd rather build my own server and colo it.

• @Randy I'm getting LITERALLY capped 100Mbits on my kimsufi, there are abusers, but only on Kimsufi :]

• @eastonch Yeah, their base prices are good, but their upgrades are really expensive.

• @eastonch said: @Randy I'm getting LITERALLY capped 100Mbits on my kimsufi, there are abusers, but only on Kimsufi :]

i see.

@SimpleNode said: Yeah, their base prices are good, but their upgrades are really expensive.

what is your budget and specifications?

• @Randy Something around $100. Basically as much storage as I can get at that price, and hopefully something located near/in Dallas.

• flyfly Member

i've moved off my backups server from fdc to hetzner with hw raid. a lot cheaper, too!

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited August 2012

FDC backup server special 1 is really cheap. Can this only be used as backup? Otherwise its enough power for some nginx/php

• Or just get a Kimsufi for 18 dollars.

Thanked by 3rm_ djvdorp tux
  • SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited August 2012

@bdtech said: FDC backup server special 1 is really cheap. Can this only be used as backup? Otherwise its enough power for some nginx/pph

Additional HDDs are $229 for 2TB :/

• flyfly Member

one time, tho. so that would really pay off in about half a year

• @SimpleNode said: Additional HDDs are $229 for 2TB :/

Sounds totally reasonable. Have you checked the HDD prices lately?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136579

• @rds100 said: Sounds totally reasonable. Have you checked the HDD prices lately?

I guess so. I just don't like paying so much for things up front :P

• @SimpleNode said: Something around $100. Basically as much storage as I can get at that price, and hopefully something located near/in Dallas.

SM Atom D525 board with 2/4g ram
    SM SC-813 4bay chassis
    4x drive of choice - mdadm raid5

Colo in Dallas is $100 give or take

• Thanks, however I think I may just go for that FDCServers Backup server. I haven't really found a better deal.

• flyfly Member

hetzner !!!!

• @SimpleNode so let me get this strait, you are wanting to backup all of your vps customers to an external network on a regular basis? Hope you have a good connection/plan to pay out the rear end for more bandwidth you don't need.

• @miTgiB said: SM Atom D525 board with 2/4g ram

SM SC-813 4bay chassis
    4x drive of choice - mdadm raid5

Colo in Dallas is $100 give or take

+1

• @Corey said: @SimpleNode so let me get this strait, you are wanting to backup all of your vps customers to an external network on a regular basis? Hope you have a good connection/plan to pay out the rear end for more bandwidth you don't need.

This will be for the "Central Backup" function in SolusVM. I don't plan on doing automatic backups - our customers can use the central backup button when they want.

• earlearl Member

@SimpleNode said: This will be for the "Central Backup" function in SolusVM.

This is probably the best feature of SolusVM ! it's unfortunate that pretty much all providers have this feature disabled..

• @SimpleNode my experience shows that maybe 10% of the users actually use this function, although we enable it for everyone. So you probably don't need all that much backup space for this.

• @rds100 said: @SimpleNode my experience shows that maybe 10% of the users actually use this function, although we enable it for everyone. So you probably don't need all that much backup space for this.

I see. I kinda expected it to be more popular, as it's a extremely useful feature of SolusVM.

• earlearl Member

@SimpleNode said: I see. I kinda expected it to be more popular, as it's a extremely useful feature of SolusVM.

The older offers on LEB use to have this enabled.. I recall chicagovps, newwebsite virpus and alien layer to name a few.. it's just the newer provider's don't have this enabled I guess cause it chews up a lot of resources..

• There is another problem too. The latest SolusVM installer does not support installing central backup servers. If you don't have an old copy of the installer which supports it - you are screwed.

• @RDS100 I don't think its supported anyway, hence "Deprecated".