Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8 RTM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 8 RTM

u4iau4ia Member
edited August 2012 in General

I know most everyone is a Linux user, but I also know some people here use Windows too. Anyone download and install the Windows 8 RTM that was released today? I just installed on a laptop, all I can say is "meh..."
I think it might actually be quite good on a tablet however. One nice thing, it seems to be a little more keyboard centric than previous Windows versions.

Comments

• TazTaz Member

Windows 8 on a tablet = Good choice.
    Move to regular PC =win7 ain't broken yet.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Used it for a week, went back to Windows 7.

• gianggiang Veteran

I think the most useless feature in Windows 8 for PC is METRO :\ Downloading from MSDN rightnow :D

• win8 + pc = frustration.
    win8 + tablet = may be good, but me ain't trying

• u4iau4ia Member

@subigo said: Used it for a week, went back to Windows 7.

I am going to give it a shot on my laptop, not confident that it will stay though :)

• I might get a Microsoft Surface tablet.

• Windows 8 uses so much less RAM than my Windows 7

• u4iau4ia Member

@birdie25 said: I might get a Microsoft Surface tablet.

This is actually one Microsoft product I'm looking forward to.

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • The Microsoft Surface Tablet's do indeed look interesting.. Is this the future for laptops? Laptops with touch screens?

• TazTaz Member

Laptops with touch screen been there for a while. I think HP had em. But surface took it to a whole new level.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx ?

Didn't know about that. Closed the webpage as soon as I saw that shitty keyboard. There is just no way I am replacing my laptop with something like this, even on the go. I have no problem in using my laptop in a cafe/airport.

Also hope that metro interface can be disabled, as it looks incredibly un-usefull for doing some actual work on that.

I, myself am a Windows guy (.NET programmer myself), but can't say I am exsited about that new release.

• @winston said: Windows 8 uses so much less RAM than my Windows 7

dose that matter if you have 12gb ram or more ? =)

• PatsPats Member
    edited August 2012

@Randy said: dose

hit that 'e' before 's' lah.. you gonna kill LET softly with over-dose.. :p

@Randy said: Windows 8 uses so much less RAM than my Windows 7

dose that matter if you have 12gb ram or more ? =)

it may mean - less bloated or less useless services running, so maybe more efficient :D

Thanked by 1klikli
  • pcanpcan Member

I tried the free RTM evaluation version of Windows 8 enterprise on a KVM VPS. You can download the ISO from here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=258844 . Extract the ISO content on a folder of the VPS drive using the 7Zip application, then start the setup. You will need about 10 Gb of free disk space (16 Gb of space if you download the non timebombed technet/msdn iso). You also need at least 512 Mb of Ram with 1 Gb swap. Remember to turn on PAE on VPS control panel: see this Microsoft technical note for details http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh975398.aspx .

The 32 bit version could be installed only over 32 bit Windows 7, and could stop with a 0x0000005D error message if the processor flags on the host are different from Microsoft specifications. To solve this issue see https://www.vdvyver.net/2012/06/installation-note-for-windows-8-on-kvm/ . I had no troubles at all with the 64 bit ISO. On Prometeus Proxmox VPS, or if you enabled Virtio on VPS control panel, the Windows 8 setup will pause and ask for virtio drivers: use the Fedora Virtio Windows 7 drivers.

Windows 8 RDP is a lot better than Windows 7: to appreciate the improvement, use the Windows 7 or Windows 8 remote desktop utility and set the speed to "Wan 10 Mbps". For a remote desktop application, this improvement alone is worth the upgrade. The whole "missing start menu" debate is a complete non-issue. Download and install the free Classic Shell application, then forget the (useless?) Metro things: you will see them only at login screen.

• I'm installing it on one of those OVH Beta dedicated servers to test