Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Analysing TOS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Analysing TOS

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
edited August 2012 in General

Thoughts on a site like this
http://tos-dr.info/

Not mine, got the link today and was interested to hear your opinions.

Thanked by 1Asim

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

It's interesting.

For example:
    under Facebook, "You must use your real name" gets a thumbs-down
    under Delicious, "Your personal information are an asset for business transfers" gets a thumbs-down,
    under SoundCloud, "Use of cookies and third-party cookies (opt-out)" gets a thumbs-down.

Maybe it should have been named "ToS;DR w/ Emotional Commentary"?

• AsimAsim Member

@Damian said: Maybe it should have been named "ToS;DR w/ Emotional Commentary"?

(y) lol

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

Not knowing how it works but somehow there should be some type of filtering when adding thumbs up/down and what you write about it.

• I don't think it works at all, people add the content manually.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

Just thought of another point: if you're really that concerned about it, why would you trust a third-party website to tell you the points that the third-party website thinks are important?

This is a reason why our AUP/TOS specifically does not have a tl;dr section: the entire document is binding(relative to our service), and ALL of it is important.

I think the site is directed towards sites with 16494352849 pages of legal mumbo jumbo that noone really understands.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: under Facebook, "You must use your real name" gets a thumbs-down

That website gets a thumbs down from me if it's seriously trying to suggest that a company should not be collecting a client's real name.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@KuJoe said: That website gets a thumbs down from me if it's seriously trying to suggest that a company should not be collecting a client's real name.

Uhm, why should a company be trying to collect a users real name?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

For a site like Facebook i think its understandable. But e.g. Github doesn't need my real name.

• TazTaz Member

@joepie91 said: Uhm, why should a company be trying to collect a users real name?

@Taz_NinjaHawk Try responding to the actual question instead of acting like an ass.

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@joepie91 sorry If I came of rude. Your name is your identity, something that identifies who you are and separates you from any one else. Now, If I as a business going to deal with you and going to provide you a service, I should atleast know who am I dealing with just like you as a consumer should know who you are dealing with.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Your name is your identity, something that identifies who you are and separates you from any one else.

Yes, however, that is not limited to your 'real name'. A nickname is just as much of an identity.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Now, If I as a business going to deal with you and going to provide you a service, I should atleast know who am I dealing with just like you as a consumer should know who you are dealing with.

I can't see how that is necessary unless there is a reason to require some sort of trust that cannot be gained otherwise. And I really don't see how Facebook (or any other website, FB is just one example) needs to 'trust' his users.

Requiring a name can absolutely be necessary in some cases - for example, I can definitely see the need when talking about a hosting company - but it shouldn't be assumed that this goes for anything.

• TazTaz Member

Well my response was in terms of company. Not some average ABCD website. But I do agree with you to a certain point.

• namename Member

Nice to see there still have Services with Class A on the world.

• I'm not sure, but i think the "No Right to leave the service" clause is invalid in some/most EU countries as the local laws override it.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I'm not sure, but i think the "No Right to leave the service" clause is invalid in some/most EU countries as the local laws override it.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking. As far as I am aware, not allowing people to opt out of a service is illegal pretty much everywhere. I'm not sure if they mean you literally can't leave their service, or just that they will not remove your data or something along those lines.

Probably your account will be inaccesible but all data will be saved

• Very nice website. :)