Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

openstack released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

openstack released

flyfly Member
edited August 2012 in General

Comments

• nope. until rackspace release them to a different (read: independent) company/project.

Thanked by 2MrAndroid gsrdgrdghd
  • @fly said: ^^^ can solusvm die in a fire now?

no.

• I can't find any licensing information.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

They released it again? This has been available for a few years now.

• Controller Node
    -16GB RAM
    -144GB Disk Space
    -Dual Socket CPU with dual core or single socket quad core

Hefty specs for a controller node.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Spencer said: -16GB RAM

-144GB Disk Space
    -Dual Socket CPU with dual core or single socket quad core

Hefty specs for a controller node.

Not really, can be leased for 60-70$.

• @Alex_LiquidHost from where?! Gimee that providers info yo!

Also, Ubuntu Host? eurgh... Why not just Debian? Instead of making it controlled by a modified version of an already decent OS.

@eastonch said: @Alex_LiquidHost from where?! Gimee that providers info yo!

Also, Ubuntu Host? eurgh... Why not just Debian? Instead of making it controlled by a modified version of an already decent OS.

I generally get discoutns from my providers, however a quad core cpu with 16 gigs is absolutely achievable for 70$. Datashack, hetzner, volumedrive, serverstadium, dacentec and others as well.

• Alright.. Datashack... Volumedrive... Both are horrific providers which either just conk out randomly, or have horrible build times.

Hetzner cant provide that?

• @eastonch said: Hetzner cant provide that?

http://www.hetzner.de/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex4 There you go, for 50€/month.

@eastonch said: Alright.. Datashack... Volumedrive... Both are horrific providers which either just conk out randomly, or have horrible build times.

Hetzner cant provide that?

What is so wrong with datashack? I have so far had only 1 server with them, but they seem decent for the price you pay. U can not expect to get top-notch support for a couple of $$.

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said: What is so wrong with datashack? I have so far had only 1 server with them, but they seem decent for the price you pay. U can not expect to get top-notch support for a couple of $$.

Why not FDC?

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Why not FDC?

Same with them, however I heard a lot of bad things about them (more than datashack for example) lately.

Not saying they are good and suitable for production serevrs, but for sur ecan eb found at the price of around 70$ for testing purposes.

• TazTaz Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said: however I heard a lot of bad things about them (more than datashack for example) lately.

Well DUH! FDC been here longer than DataShack and are famous for their Card board servers and 0 fire protection :P

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2012

@eastonch said: Alright.. Datashack... Volumedrive... Both are horrific providers which either just conk out randomly, or have horrible build times.

I haven't had a single problem with my datashack server, and I have had it for a month.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2012

Datashack is great. Reviews are wonderful. Support is fast. Only way to avoid bad reviews is to avoid building clients. As for not expecting to get great things for low prices, I disagree. To me, offering a low price for something is actually suggesting to me that you can provide it for that price. Datashack does. Dacentec does. FDC does, but needs more upstream providers.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Not really, can be leased for 60-70$.

If you're going to be hosting an infrastructure like OpenStack I would hope you wouldn't be leasing your hardware. ;)

Thanked by 1Taz

@KuJoe said: If you're going to be hosting an infrastructure like OpenStack I would hope you wouldn't be leasing your hardware. ;)

Yo, I mentioned that I meant for test purposes 2 posts above :P

Honestly, I am not going to even think about production selling of openstack clouds at this point, but I admit I am curious to set up a low-end test enviroment for myself only.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited August 2012

Is datashack the DC without backup generator power? I remember seeing something about them being down a whole day this year on WHT.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1128543#post7966612

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@bdtech Initial impression of that thread is Joe's, where they apparently had some customers colocated.

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

@bdtech said: Is datashack the DC without backup generator power?

https://www.datashack.net/facilities/

"Backup power comes from an onsite generator farm. We operate both natural gas and diesel powered generators. In the case of diesel the generators can run for 48 hours without refueling. We maintain fuel contracts with multiple local companies to supply fuel. In the case of catrostrophic event, we have access to over 20,000 gallons of fuel stored in close proximity to the DC. "

• @earl thanks. Just saw the post saying a couple hundred of their servers would be down without power with just a few days notice.

• @earl said: we have access to over 20,000 gallons of fuel stored in close proximity to the DC. "

Nice!

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Why not FDC?

They don't have UPC. If the power goes out your server goes offline for a few seconds until the generators kick in.

• At least they have a generator then :) I've seen worse.

• earlearl Member

@bdtech said: @earl thanks. Just saw the post saying a couple hundred of their servers would be down without power with just a few days notice.

:)

@Corey said: Nice!

Yeah I thought it was quite funny when I first read that..

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: At least they have a generator then :) I've seen worse.

running hamsters?

• @prometeus said: running hamsters?

That would be "green hosting" :)