Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you trust your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you trust your VPS?

DNSbedDNSbed Barred
edited August 2012 in General

1 I trust it and run serious service on it.

2 I trust it and run serious service on it, but take the backup everyday.

3 Just so so, run not that important service on it.

4 I don't trust it, just for playing.

Please vote, thanks. :)

Comments

• u4iau4ia Member

I, as I'm sure a lot of users here, run the gamut of various providers that I trust at different levels. So the answer is: all of the above :)

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited August 2012

I had a dream a few nights ago about building a distributed service across heaps of VPS providers (all pooling resources together). That way if one goes down it wouldn't matter :P

• I'd also probably say all of the above, depends on the provider.

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

->2. No.matter you trust or no, backup everyday. I am actually planning to couple of more I agree box on my signup page that will have these
    Besides the tos factors,
    ->I will maintain a regular backup of my contents.
    ->(This is for let playas) I wont run benchmark 24/7/366 .

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

1 and 2 should be the same thing. A backup should always be taken because hardware can fail, people can fail, and all molecules will breakdown eventually. The only time you should ever not take backups of your data is if you can afford to lose it and it will have 0 impact on your life/business.

http://jmd.cc/servers/backups-do-them-yes-now-yes-always/

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • I do care about my data, however, sometimes I'm just too lazy to back it up!

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited August 2012
    1. I'm basically playing a long game of Virtual Russian Roulette.
  • Thanks all. I probably choose #2. backup is very important for a VPS application. I once had a VPS with Directspace, they lost my data for two times. That's terrible.:(

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@DNSbed said: backup is very important for a VPS application.

The same can be said for dedicated servers, HA clusters, and storage systems.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

• NickMNickM Member
    edited August 2012

My level of trust varies from "not at all" to "I trust it to be down more than it's up". So I do backups hourly and I use OpenStatus to monitor everything.

• But my tektonic vps before was rock solid, and I didn't need backup for 2 years.

• gianggiang Veteran

My vote is 2 and 4.
    I got few free VPS(s) to use for 4 :D

• I backup every 30 minutes.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

@jcaleb said: But my tektonic vps before was rock solid, and I didn't need backup for 2 years.

OK, wait for its hardware to fail :) i am guessing they have at least RAID 10?>

• @Randy said: OK, wait for its hardware to fail :) i am guessing they have at least RAID 10?>

I quit already bec. they are expensive. I transfered to an LEB and just backup frequently. More cost effective

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

backups are required even in case of trust.
    :)

• @prometeus said: backups are required even in case of trust.

:)

Yes, the question is just how often...

• @jcaleb said: quit already bec. they are expensive. I transfered to an LEB and just backup frequently. More cost effective

Hahahah, i Wonder which provider is hosting your backup ^^

• @jcaleb said: Yes, the question is just how often...

Every data changes :p
    Every MySQL Databases changes.
    Every file changes

• 1 for main server
    1 for secondary server
    5 for file backup

• @Randy said: Hahahah, i Wonder which provider is hosting your backup ^^

Buyvm 128 ovz. I don't have lots of files to backup.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jcaleb said: But my tektonic vps before was rock solid, and I didn't need backup for 2 years.

Nobody needs backups until something goes wrong.
    Nobody will tell you in advance when something will go wrong.
    Nobody should assume nothing will go wrong.
    Hence everybody should take backups IF they think the data is valuable.

I personally only play with vpses.
    With one exception, all data there is either not mine, not important, not irreplaceable with minimal effort and I do tell ppl that hold data there to do their backups.
    M

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • lol , :)

@Maounique said: Nobody needs backups until something goes wrong.

Nobody will tell you in advance when something will go wrong.
    Nobody should assume nothing will go wrong.
    Hence everybody should take backups IF they think the data is valuable.
    I personally only play with vpses.
    With one exception, all data there is either not mine, not important, not irreplaceable with minimal effort and I do tell ppl that hold data there to do their backups

You are good as always :) Congrats M

• All for me, too.

I don't really consider our data on VPSes as 'backups', I consider it more like 'replicated'. I only consider the things we put on S3 to be 'backups'.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

@Jeffrey said: I do care about my data, however, sometimes I'm just too lazy to back it up!

Even your clients data?

Most of us have more than one VPS, but I trust the majority of my VPS's, and backup umm.. never. I've got my backup script somewhere on my NAS, one day I'll be bothered to start backing up.

• I backup my VPS's data everyday with Dropbox.
    My dropbox has upgraded to 18G for free.

• @Infinity The ChromiumHosting Shared Hosting server is backed up daily, automatically. :)

• @Jeffrey said: The ChromiumHosting Shared Hosting server is backed up daily, automatically. :)

How about your VPS nodes?