Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago VPS6.NET network down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago VPS6.NET network down?

winstonwinston Member
edited August 2012 in General

I got (another) pingdom alert telling me my VPS went down - which it did, HTTP, FTP, and SSH all timed out - except when I went to VPS6.NET to complain, their site is down too...it's been 13 minutes (or am I the only one seeing this?)

EDIT: of course it comes up after I post this, but still - the entire network went down for 15 minutes?

Comments

• Film at 11?

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

your title is misleading. which datacenter are you in?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

More likely they got hit by a DDoS and it affected their whole network before it was blackholed.

• @fly said: your title is misleading. which datacenter are you in?

yeah I realize that now, chicago

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

ENTIRE INTERNET IS DOWN OMG

based on your post history here on let, you need to sit stuff out before you run here and bitch.

Thanked by 2Infinity Damian
  • winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

@fly said: based on your post history here on let, you need to sit stuff out before you run here and bitch.

I thought it was fair to run here and bitch when my VPS has constant network disruptions for 5 days, and this wasn't a run here and bitch - this was a "any ideas what's up, I'm not a network engineer but I found it strange that everything went down at once"

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

Another of these threads..

@winston said: I thought it was fair to run here and bitch when my VPS has constant network disruptions for 5 days, and this wasn't a run here and bitch - this was a "any ideas what's up, I'm not a network engineer but I found it strange that everything went down at once"

Have you asked VPS6 about it? That might be a good start.

Thanked by 2Damian HalfEatenPie
  • flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

open a ticket. if you don't get a response, poke at them. if you don't get a response for more than a few days, poke them again. if there's one thing vps6 is good at, it's responding to tickets. and there's the chris parr/naruto variety show on live chat.

Thanked by 1Damian
  • @winston said: except when I went to VPS6.NET to complain, their site is down too...

It will be difficult to open a support ticket.

• flyfly Member

be patient.

• It seems there was a brief ISP outage that affected some areas of the world, likely networks/ISPs routing through nLayer. We've confirmed that the issue has been resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience.

mystery solved

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited August 2012

We saw a network-level outage affecting our Chicago network; whether nLayer or one of our other peers was responsible, I'm unsure at this moment. Things are back to normal now. I apologize for the few moments of unavailability.

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • flyfly Member

nLayer

/me shakes fist

• Aren't hosts supposed to put their own website on a redundant network? (i.e. a competitor) :P

• @serverbear said: Aren't hosts supposed to put their own website on a redundant network? (i.e. a competitor) :P

It's generally ideal, but we would then lose the advantage of having direct access to all of our backend infrastructure. All in all, 7-8 minutes of downtime every several months doesn't hurt too much. :-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Had another report of an outage in Chicago today, unless siteground is hosted in the same facility.

• I had my site over at HostGator, mainly because it was "guaranteed" to not die on me, the only downside is that I had to wait hours to get ports opened for some web-apps.

• @eastonch said: I had my site over at HostGator, mainly because it was "guaranteed" to not die on me, the only downside is that I had to wait hours to get ports opened for some web-apps.

uhhhh....huh?

• @fly

is it also wrong to run here and bitch when I have another 7 hours of downtime (and counting)?

• Yes. Open up a support ticket (if you can). If not give them atleast a day or so to sort it out or atleast let you know what's going on. Work with them instead of posting publicly immediately.

• winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

Yes this server has hardware issues. Total downtime so far is 6 hours and 25 minutes. > We are doing everything we can to restore power.

I cannot believe this now, to think I was about to switch VPS nodes....