Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTB: second hand servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WTB: second hand servers

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited August 2012 in General

Looking to buy a dedicated server to colo with one of the DCs in Chicago for a project I have.

Specs would prefer to be the following:

1. 1U
  2. Dual Xeon Quad Core
  3. 16GB of RAM
  4. 2 SATA hard drive, 200GB or more each
  5. preference given to HP Proliant servers with iLO remote access
  6. Need power cord and rails, i.e., it should be in a ready to use state
  7. hardware RAID card
  8. Will consider offers which is different on point 1-6 if the price is good, I will just buy some stuff off ebay and have the DC to install them for me.

Budget: ??? I am not sure to be honest, would like to hear what the rest of the community says as well. Don't plan to spend anywhere more than 800USD though

And if there is anything that you'd like to suggest on the setup, feel free to post it here as well. Will primarily be used as a VMWare server with 2 Windows 2008 instance running on. No need super fast disk I/O or anything, but should be usable for MS-SQL server.

Feel free to PM me the price if you do not want to make it public. Note that the server will be shipped directly to DC and you will be paid via Paypal only (obviously the address is not a confirmed paypal address, however I guess I have been here long enough to say I am definitely not a scammer trying to get free servers :P)

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Good luck.. I tried buying from here as well, but noone seemed to sell anything. Your best bet is ebay. I was able to get some awesome deals on there.

• Thanks @Alex_LiquidHost, I tried to get something off ebay but most of them only ship to confirmed shipping address, which make no sense in my case, so I figured I could try my luck here.

• AsadAsad Member

@zhuanyi In that case, speak to some of the suppliers/sellers directly and explain it to them. Maybe pay by bank wire transfer, they just don't want to get scammed/chargedbacked.

• @zhuanyi said: Thanks @Alex_LiquidHost, I tried to get something off ebay but most of them only ship to confirmed shipping address, which make no sense in my case, so I figured I could try my luck here.

i had some long conversation with "mrrackable" on ebay, they do ship to your prefer data center. but i don't know if they still have some stock that come with IPMI/iLO/DRAC/[put another name here]

ps: my recommendation buy new hard drive.

• @Mon5t3r said: i had some long conversation with "mrrackable" on ebay,

Thanks, I have send him a note with a few questions.

• Interested in Dell PowerEdge blade servers at all?

• @EricCubixCloud said: Interested in Dell PowerEdge blade servers at all?

PM me plz?

• @Zen said: always looking to buy servers.

Hello, I've got a few requests for more information. I should not have mentioned it until I confirm how many we have and when they can be sold.

Sorry about that - could I get back to you within the next few days?

• @zhuanyi said: PM me plz?

Hi,
    Please read above what I've told Zen.
    Sorry about that. Feel free to shoot me a PM/e-mail for further discussion.

Shall I post in this thread when I'm able to confirm details?

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited August 2012

@zhuanyi said: PM me plz?

I don't think blade servers is really what you need based on your requirements.

• Would you consider a server that is 2u?

• Here's something to consider:

http://www.servermonkey.com/dell-poweredge-1950-4-port-configure-to-order/

Configuring this server with your specs brings it to a total of: $569.99. If you need rails then it is: $629.99

Thanked by 1EricCubixCloud
  • @Brandon said: Configuring this server with your specs brings it to a total of: $569.99. If you need rails then it is: $629.99

mine got to 783....i guess because i added the DRAC card and the RAID card?

• @EricCubixCloud said: Shall I post in this thread when I'm able to confirm details?

Sure, thanks

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

you can buy a new Dell R210 II for $699 if you buy without the HDD it comes down to $459.. not the specs you want but something to consider compared to buying a used server!

Components:
    No Operating System
    PowerEdge R210II Chassis with Cabled 2x3.5 HDs and Quad-Pack LED Diagnostics
    Intel® Pentium® G620 2.60 GHz, 3M Cache, Dual Core/2T
    4GB Memory (1x4GB), 1333MHz, Dual Ranked UDIMM (speed is CPU dependent)
    500GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3.5in Cabled Hard Drive
    Onboard SATA, 1-2 Hard Drives connected to onboard SATA Controller -No RAID
    No Controller
    DVD-ROM Drive, SATA
    Bezel
    No Rack Rails or Cable Management Arm
    On-Board Dual Gigabit Network Adapter
    Baseboard Management Controller
    Electronic System Documentation and OpenManage DVD Kit
    Options
    1Yr Basic Hardware Warranty Repair: 5x10 HW-Only, 5x10 NBD Onsite
    No Installation
    Maintenance Declined
    Also Includes
    HD Multi-Select
    Shipping Material,PowerEdge R210II
    NEMA 5-15P to C13 Wall Plug, 125 Volt, 15 AMP, 10 Feet (3m), Power Cord

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited August 2012

That looks like a dinosaur. It doesn't even meet any of your requirements though (except the RAM)?

• earlearl Member

I bought a dl140 G3 with 2x 5310 cpu 4gb ram hot swap HDD @ $125

• @Brandon said: That looks like a dinosaur. It doesn't even meet any of your requirements though (except the RAM)?

Ya, that's true, it is cheap but it is tooooooo old....

• @earl said: I bought a dl140 G3 with 2x 5310 cpu 4gb ram hot swap HDD @ $125

Where? EBay?

• earlearl Member
    edited August 2012

craigslist

@zhuanyi

I thought you were going to buy the Supermicro at Dacentec? they have HP's now!

• @earl said: craigslist

LOL, nice

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Zen said: Build your own.. these old prebuilts are great but I've seen from experience building your own is always best.

That's the thing, I do not want to build a server in Canada and pay 13% of GST and send it to US (and probably need to pay US import tax as well) when I could buy the server in US and colo in US with no tax payable...

• @Zen said: I would rather buy from craigslist than eBay :D

do people ship items on craigslist or it is always local pickup?

• @zhuanyi said: That's the thing, I do not want to build a server in Canada and pay 13% of GST and send it to US (and probably need to pay US import tax as well) when I could buy the server in US and colo in US with no tax payable...

Send the money to someone in the U.S to buy the parts, build it for you and send it to the DC?

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited August 2012

@zhuanyi said: do people ship items on craigslist or it is always local pickup?

It depends on the seller but I never shop on craigslist... I found a sweet deal on Kijiji a while back but I'm waiting for his replies back. Once he does I could give you his contact details. He has some really good deals.

• earlearl Member

@zhuanyi said: do people ship items on craigslist

There use to be warnings all over craigslist to deal locally only!! lots of scammers on there especially during the holidays

• You may want to look around at CedarPC.

• @Brandon said: Send the money to someone in the U.S to buy the parts, build it for you and send it to the DC?

like server monkey i guess? Brandon you are based in Canada right? How did you get the server in Datashack set up or you are just renting there if it is not a business secret?

• @Zen said: You buy the items, ship to DC from seller, pay DC to build. Many DC's will build it for a small fee.

did not realize that, good point, so newegg.com is where I should try then?