Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preferred forum software? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Preferred forum software?

2»

Comments

• I just remember using phpBB3 in 2008 or so and it was at version 3.0.1 or something - it's been what, 4 years, and nothing has changed besides a few security updates?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

My philosophy: why fix it if it aint broken ?
    3.0 was a really good release IMO.
    M

• well I was referring to the fact that there were no new features added in 4+ years :<

What features would you need that arent supported by official modules/contribs ?
    M

• We're looking at IP.Board (Invision), which I'm partial to for some of its UI features. The goal will be to build a client forum within the upcoming VPS6.NET community portal. IP.Board is licensed, so possibly not the best option for everyone.

• I've been a guest on a few IPBoards and, personally, I find all of the ajax/javascript/popup stuff a little too much (I don't know how to explain it)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

IPB all the way. Very nice code.

Put once an invision board, but i think it was free then otherwise i wouldnt, ppl hated it.
    I was also more used to phpbb and dropped the idea, but wasnt bad, also were scripts to convert from one to another, and they really worked.
    Overall not bad experience.
    M

• Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any free board software that has custom page support (so I can add my own content with PHP and display it with the forum layout), built in or via plugin. MyBB can do it with a plugin, but I'm looking for other boards besides MyBB. Oh, and please no SMF - I've had some terrible experiences with it and that wound is still healing :'(!

• NickMNickM Member
    edited August 2012

I have to agree with @NinjaHawk, for pretty much exactly the reasons he listed. Add on SimplePortal and PrettyURLs, with a theme from DzinerStudio and you have an awesome site.

@winston, what kind of bad experience did you have with SMF? I've only recently started using it (within the past year or so) and haven't run into any issues.

• @NickM I dislike the look and feel of the admin cp, and the page addon continuously sent users to blank pages. It also seemed that no matter what theme I put on it, it was always hideous. The "duplicate post submitted" error when you submit a post and it gets caught by anti spam is also very obnoxious and has yet to be fixed. Overall it was miserable and I'm not ready to revisit it.

• New Vbulletin is horrible, I've kept my larger forum on the old 3.8 version.

I actually quite like Vanilla (since using it here), but it's not as customizable.

+1 also for http://xenforo.com/ worth a look.

• I too found VB4 to more worse than its older v3.8. Although, lately, I've ditched VB entirely and been loving iPB. Xenforo also looks worthwhile.

• i am also looking for free forum software
    i need the forum must be integrated with a group in facebook(in a simplest way)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

+1 XenForo
    +1 phpBB for free

-1 vB

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

+1 for phpBB
    by the way SMF is also good.

• I would go for NoNonsenseForum, a PHP based forum, writes everything to RSS files, uses no database...

http://camendesign.com/nononsense_forum

Features

No Database
    All data is just RSS. Starting a new thread creates a new RSS feed. Replying adds an item to the feed.
    No hoops to jump through
    I just want to talk, I don’t want to go through registration and e-mail confirmation and logging in each time.

• TazTaz Member

@Raymii Forums greatest asset is the userbase and content. Without dose, why have a forum?

• @NinJaHawk

I just want to talk, I don’t want to go through registration and e-mail confirmation and logging in each time.

How much data can leak out if they don't have any data?

• I use phpbb mostly because it's tried and true but it's a PITA to integrate a design with it.

• I prefer mybb, easy to use and has many nice theme. and active developed. I can't wait 2.0 version.
    lets hope v 2.0 have plugin installer.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited August 2012

I built a 1kB PHP forum with threads, comments, IP logging, and DNSBL checking. Powered by MySQL, though it could be modified to run off SQLite.

Naturally it was just for fun, so it certainly isn't "preferred" forum software. ;)

That is cool :P
    http://seattle.nfshost.com/f.php
    The previous version in action :P
    M

• PhpBB/MyBB/Xenforo/Vanilla

• Personally SMF is trash when it comes to large forums, the database is just not designed correctly. I'm not even sure they fixed it in 2.0.

Thanked by 1tux
  • TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@FRCorey try once again. Smf literally evolved into something that can compete against premium forum scripts.

• vbulletin