Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preferred forum software?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Preferred forum software?

winstonwinston Member
edited August 2012 in General

For anyone who runs a forum, what is your preferred software for it?

I prefer MyBB but I'll also settle with phpBB3, and Vanilla seems pretty cool.

MyBB - Easy to set up and looks great with the right theme, also very quick and easy to add custom pages to. The mods and theme site is difficult to use though, and adding plugins would be useful to have in the AdminCP (like wordpress)
phpBB3 - I haven't used it in several years but IIRC it has a nice new in-adminCP mod system and it doesn't look that bad
Vanilla - It seems original and very fast

What do you prefer? (and if you don't mind, a general description of what you host)

Comments

• Have you checked LET?

Or are you just creating new post to gain post counts?

Thanked by 1Taz
  • No I was creating a discussion, thanks for the hostility.

• TazTaz Member

SMF ftw, Light weight, dev friendlly, awesome community, a lot of useful mods available , good default anti spam setup and last but not the least, They got some Sexy Themes for SMF over @Dzinerstudio.

• I used SMF for a while but I didn't like the URL system. It has a lots of mods and the themes are 'okay', but the anti spam is annoying (at least in my opinion it is) - if you submit a post and it errors that you have to wait, and try to submit it again, it tells you that you already posted it and it's a duplicate - very annoying, you must to back to the thread and re-enter the post.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I think what Erwan is trying to say is that this has been discussed before..

Anyways, my personal favourite is MyBB, awesome plugin base, easy to code with etc.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • BrandonBrandon Member
    edited August 2012

I really like IPB, vBulletin and Vanilla.

• winstonwinston Member
    edited August 2012

@Infinity said: I think what Erwan is trying to say is that this has been discussed before..

Oh, my bad, does this need to be closed?

I also tried out vBulletin and I absolutely hated it. I couldn't stand the AdminCP/ModCP (it's ugly) and compared to MyBB (converted from MyBB to vBulletin) everything seemed to take 10x longer to do the same action

I haven't had a chance to use IPB yet.

• MyBB/PunBB/FluxBB

• TazTaz Member

@klikli said: FluxBB

^This^ Easiest thing to integrate with an existing website (in terms of design) and what we plan to use for NH.

Thanked by 1flam316
  • Xenforo is a good forum software as well.

• MyBB

• @Night said: Xenforo is a good forum software as well.

I heard Xenforo is a stolen vBulletin with a facelift :O

• I always found MyBB quite complicated to update. Has that changed or is there any Auto-Update function now? Otherwise, I liked MyBB.

• @Amitz I think you still have to upload + overwrite all of the files if that's what you mean

• Yes, that is exactly what I mean and what I disliked somehow...

• @Amitz said: Yes, that is exactly what I mean and what I disliked somehow...

yeah, it's a pain in the ass, especially when you edit the files to make group colors display on the board index :(

• flyfly Member

phpbb isn't that bad. it's pretty much the standard. vanilla is pretty stupid tho.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@winston said: Oh, my bad, does this need to be closed?

Nah, there's no need, let the discussion go.

Vanilla's backend is pretty crap, it looks alright for the end-user though.

• I like the simplicity and look of vanilla. It, unfortunately, won't work for any of the forums I host :(.

• OSQA?

• @kampung said: OSQA?

Huh?

• Open Source Question Answer

• www.osqa.net/

• Previous LET CMS

• flyfly Member

looks awful lol

• @fly said: looks awful lol

agree'd haha

• @winston said: @fly said: looks awful lol

agree'd haha

Looks beautiful for me :D

• RophRoph Member

Long time SMF user here. I love it.

For tiny forums I have dabbled with SMF using SQLite for the db, though it's a little feature heavy if you want something incredibly simple. Instead I'd go with FluxBB for that purpose.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2012

@winston said: I heard Xenforo is a stolen vBulletin with a facelift :O

No, it isn't. Thank god it isn't.

It's basically a bunch of disgruntled vBulletin devs that decided to make their own forum software, as far as I am aware. And seriously, XenForo is absolutely excellent. If they managed to make such a good piece of forum software by ripping of a piece of crap like vBulletin, they are probably the best code refactoring team the world has ever seen.

If I had free choice, I'd always pick XenForo. If it has to be free, SMF. Their code is quite messy, but it's pretty secure, and very lightweight.

Thanked by 1Night
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Any forum can look good with the right theme.
    When it has to be public and dynamic, I go with the standard. Keep up to date and apply some theme, that is it.
    Free, as usual, so, it is, as you guessed, phpbb.
    The more tested that is, the more secure in my eyes, even tho phpbb passed a time with horrible coding and security, that is in the past now.
    M