Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meteor Shower - Tonight
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Meteor Shower - Tonight

edited August 2012 in General

Anyone else plan on star gazing tonight?

I've read different reports, but most claim that 60 - 100 shooting stars per hour will be visible between 12am - 2 am EST (GMT -5)

If you live in the city, go for a drive and get away from the city. If you live in the country, go to your backyard.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

From which coordinates can it be seen?

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

Sucks living in a city because of all the light pollution.

• @AsadHaider said: Sucks living in a city because of all the light pollution.

How long would it take you to get out of the city? Even 10 - 15 miles outside of a large city should be enough to give you a pretty good view of the night sky (assuming no clouds).

If you've never experienced a meteor shower before, then Perseid meteor shower tonight will be well worth it.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Thank God I live out of the city, and easy access to the desert :P

Hope to find something nice :)

• @rsk said: Thank God I live out of the city, and easy access to the desert :P

What desert?

I lived in Nevada for about 10 months, about 50 miles outside of Vegas in the desert. The night skies there were amazing, I had never seen such clarity when looking up at night.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
  • AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

@MannDude said: How long would it take you to get out of the city? Even 10 - 15 miles outside of a large city should be enough to give you a pretty good view of the night sky (assuming no clouds).

From where I am in Manchester, probably an hours drive or so towards Macclesfield into the Lake District (UK) would be the best place to go.

Shame I can't drive out there tonight. I hate living in build up areas, and I'm not even near the city center. Just saw on Spacedex there's actually a couple of people meeting in the Peak District tonight to watch it.

@MannDude

i live in dubai

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

@rsk said: i live in dubai

Isn't that totally crowded with bright lights everywhere?

• Will this be able to be seen from Eastern Florida?

• should be good, not at work until late afternoon.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I could just watch a video on YouTube. Translation: Outside? Not if I'm not on my way to get burritos!

@gsrdgrdghd

in the city its bright. but im on the outskirts :P

• Clouds in my city now :(

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited August 2012

Just saw one after 45 minutes of looking at the sky lol (I'm in holland)

• AsadAsad Member

I just hiked out to miles into some random trail in the middle of Stockport with a friend, didn't see any meteors but it was fun to do. No light whatsoever besides my camera, would have been pretty screwed if it died.

• aubsaubs Member

@AsadHaider : 11:00pm - 04:30am (GMT) ... That's midnight to 5:30 BST. Maybe you were too early?

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

@aubs Yeah maybe, didn't want to stay out there too long so we went home :P

• aubsaubs Member

Awh. Were you scared of the dark?! LoL ;-)

• AsadAsad Member

@aubs Two teenages (my friends crippled).. middle of nowhere, pitch black, trail frequently used by homeless people/druggies :P

Yes :/

• aubsaubs Member

@AsadHaider : Christ ... Going somewhere like that, you should have known where you were going with the abilities of those you were were going with. Glad you had a nice time there though. :)

• AsadAsad Member
    edited August 2012

@aubs It's a fun trail to go to at night, just need to watch out for the crazies living under the bridges along the way :P we got about half way and turned back though, kept an eye out for any meteors but didn't see any at the time.

Managed to see anything yourself yet?

• aubsaubs Member
    edited August 2012

@AsadHaider : LoL I'm near Oxford centre so no :( - Road Wars (on TV atm) has the most flashing lights that I get. LoL I'm jealous of you guys going into the peak district! Glad you had a nice time :-)

Thanked by 1Asad
  • It's cloudy here :(

• I cant see anything here;-)!

• I stayed out from before dark until around 2AM, saw a LOT but didn't see what I expected.

Probably saw 1 on average every 3 minutes or so. A few times I'd see 3 within a 30 second period then maybe not another one for ten minutes.

Was still awesome though. Beer made it worth the wait.