Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

personal data offsite backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

personal data offsite backup

jboogiejboogie Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hi, what do you use for offsite backup of your personal data? Emails, code, pictures... Do you back it up in only one or multiple places?

I currently have only on-site backups and I'm looking for roughly 100gb somewhere. It doesn't really matter if it's a VPS or something like dropbox, I'm looking for the cheapests options.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hostigation's 1GB vps. Best deal I've seen on 100gb from a quality provider.

• AsadAsad Member

Backblaze looks interesting for online backups, $5/mo for unlimited storage.

Currently just backup my storage server onto backup disks using Windows Backup, and the data is also copied across to a portable hard drive every few weeks or so. I really should get an online backup solution (or fireproof safe :P) in case my house burns down or something.

I'm pretty interested in what others have to say too.

• Kimsufi 2G. 15 Euros per month Atom server with 1TB hard drive. rsync it up!

Thanked by 1rm_
  • AsadAsad Member

@HalfEatenPie @jarland Is that for personal backups or work server backups?

I use a Kimsufi and Hostigation for server/work backups, but wouldn't stick my personal stuff on there.

• jboogiejboogie Member
    edited August 2012

backblaze seems indeed cheap but it doesn't support linux.

@jarland you mean Hostigations OVZ-1024 plan? it seems nice but I don't think I really need 1gb ram and 2 cpus

• @AsadHaider why not? I'm personally planning on using encryption anyhow....

• AsimAsim Member

@jarland said: Hostigation's 1GB vps. Best deal I've seen on 100gb from a quality provider.

Hostigation discontinued their backup plans
    https://www.hostigation.com/?page=Backup

• @AsadHaider said: I use a Kimsufi and Hostigation for server/work backups, but wouldn't stick my personal stuff on there.

Its cheap, I use it for work and personal stuff.

Although for personal stuff I also sync it to dropbox (while work also goes to my OwnCloud and a few other apps.

• I use multiple backups to backup my PC aswell as NAS.

I use Backblaze
    Livedrive
    External FTP server
    and OSHS Backup accounts

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2012

Here's a pretty awesome backup plan: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/torqhost-e15year-128mb-kvm-in-estonia/
    If you need more space, Kimsufi 2G. Keep in mind that in addition to the 1TB HDD you also get 100GB FTP space (accessible from the server), so in total it's about 1100 GB of space at your disposal.

• In a word:

Crashplan.

Supports linux, and if you don't want to pay for their online storage, you can back up to external drives, and also other computers you control for free.

So I back up to crashplan themselves, another machine in my house and also a relatives machine. I also host some relatives backups for them too. No need to open ports. You can back up to a USB drive, and then take that drive over to a friends house and continue backing up to it over the internet. Meaning that you don't need to wait for the initial backup to complete over the interwebs.

A Kimsufi 2G sounds like a good idea, but with Crashplan only being $50 a year for unlimited storage, the Kimsufi suddenly looks very expensive.

• Linux: I use S3CMD at 0.125/GB via Amazon S3 (AES256 server side). Nothing too important to encrypt locally first.
    Windows: Mozy and Dropbox.

edited August 2012

@Robert said: Crashplan.

I don't trust a proprietary program to just pack up all my data including all passwords, banking and credit card info, and send it to their servers (into the "CLOUD").

"But it's encrypted! And no sir, we can't decrypt it on our end! Just trust us!"

Yeah right, if I'm ever going to store my data on someone else's servers I will want to use proven industry-standard free software encryption tools and backup programs, not some binary blob ("the client") which does who the hell knows what under the hood.

• @rm_ said: Yeah right, if I'm ever going to store my data on someone else's servers I will want to use proven free software encryption tools and backup programs, not some binary blob ("the client") which does who the hell knows what under the hood.

That's why you encrypt it before it gets there. :)
    Ive been using this for some time http://www.duplicati.com/

• @rm_

I really don't have anything important enough to worry about it. If they want my photos and music, they're welcome to them :-)

You can replace the encryption key in the crashplan client with your own I think.

edited August 2012

@DanielM said: That's why you encrypt it before it gets there. :)

Ive been using this for some time http://www.duplicati.com/

Yep this one looks good (LGPL), but the point is that CrashPlan (and Backblaze etc) also claim to encrypt your stuff before it leaves your computer, but when their client is proprietary you can't verify if that's actually the case, or if their encryption is implemented correctly and has no backdoors ("second sets of keys").

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jboogie Yeah it comes with ram and CPU, but the important part is storage to price.
    @Asim It's not one of his backup plans, just happens to be the best deal on 100gb I've found.

• @DanielM said: Ive been using this for some time http://www.duplicati.com/

+1 for this, i'm using it also for backing up to Amazon S3 and it works very good.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rm_ said: Yep this one looks good (LGPL), but the point is that CrashPlan (and Backblaze etc) also claim to encrypt your stuff before it leaves your computer, but when their client is proprietary you can't verify if that's actually the case, or if their encryption is implemented correctly and has no backdoors ("second sets of keys").

Tarsnap :-)

Encrypted, open source (though not BSD/GPL license), Amazon S3-backed.

Unfortunately, very expensive, but if you are truly paranoid...