Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Dedicated Server - Please Increase minimum price for listening
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Dedicated Server - Please Increase minimum price for listening

DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
edited August 2012 in General

Hello,

I can't find any cheap dedicated server provider in LEB, Do you think you need to increase minimum price from $30 to $35 or main aim of this site is listening only VPS Websites :)

What do you think about this?

Comments

• I think a low end box should be around $50 for a dedicated server. This is definitely something that should be taken into consideration by the admin team here though.

• Pretty sure LEB only concentrates on Virtual Machines, not physical dedicated servers.

Call me crazy, but I'd be skeptical of a $30 Dedi and would feel more comfortable spending $30/mo on a VPS. You'd likely get better performance from a $30 VPS that's setup with a RAID10 array, good share of a powerful CPU and dedicated RAM as opposed to the performance of some old Atom with a single slow drive.

What sort of specs are you looking for for $30-$35/mo?

• Do we have even have any dedi providers bursting through the doors to be listed on LEB? I know some of the VPS providers around here offer some deals through PM, but..

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I don't want to purchase a dedicated server, I just want to suggest this idea because of $30 is really lower for dedicated server.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

http://www.lowendbox.com/about/

We will be listing virtual server deals for less than USD$7 per month or dedicated server deals for less than USD$30 per month (those buying cheap dedicated should have been buying medium-range VPS anyway). We will also be writing about getting out more from your low end box.

There hasn't been any real good providers with 30 USD/month anyways so that entire section of LEB has kinda just been inactive.

Now, on LET itself we've been discussing dedicated server deals like Kimsufi and Datashack.

Like you said it is the admin team's decision on what they want to consider Low End Server, but personally I'm fine with LEB having all VPSes :P (You'd get a much better system for 30 dollars a month VPS than a dedicated server that's for sure)

• We offer a semi-dedicated server for $30, but the reality is LEB/LET is primarily focused on the less than $7 price range... A bunch of server listings would more than likely get ignored...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@MannDude said: Call me crazy, but I'd be skeptical of a $30 Dedi and would feel more comfortable spending $30/mo on a VPS.

OK! You are crazy.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2012

@DewlanceVPS said: I can't find any cheap dedicated server provider in LEB, Do you think you need to increase minimum price from $30 to $35

I see at your site that you sell servers in the US, so you come with a perception skewed by the crappy overpriced marked of dedicated servers there. Please don't try to bring that onto us here on this side on the planet. We have perfectly usable dedicated servers for 12 to 20 EUR in Europe, and these are exactly what a "Low End dedicated server" means. If LEB should list anything, it's deals like these. Why it doesn't list them, simply because starting a profitable low-end-dedi business is "a bit" more difficult than starting a VPS business, so you don't see new providers popping up every week. There are something like 3 or 5 companies offering low end servers (OVH, Hetzner, digicube), so what do you do, list those over and over again?

@BlueVM said: We offer a semi-dedicated server for $30

And btw there's no such thing as "semi-dedicated", this makes as much sense as "a bit pregnant" -- it's either dedicated, or it's some marketing nonsense trying to hijack a term and push crappy overpriced VPSes.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@rm_
    so what do you do, list those over and over again?
    Why need to re-list? It is necessary to re-list dedicated server plans? Only Hetzner, OVH did not sell dedicated server..

• I'd say a cheap dedi is anything under $100 a month.

• Under $100/month is too easy, almost any provider can do under $100/month dedi.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I think that if the budget increases to 50-55$ monthly there will be some dedi deals as well and offers.

Personally, I would be interested in low end dedi servers as well.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There are servers under 30$, but very few. Those should be used mostly for storage or BW.
    I agree an increase to 50$ will bring much more offers in, but I am not sure providers will know soon about it and how many customers will they have.
    Can't hurt, but dont have much hope either for changing limit or to many listing if it is changed.
    M

• Anyway, i think every provider wanting to sell dedicated servers on LEB can just buy a banner there and post his ad this way. I don't know how much the banners cost, but probably not too expensive.

edited August 2012

@rds100 said: Anyway, i think every provider wanting to sell dedicated servers on LEB can just buy a banner there and post his ad this way. I don't know how much the banners cost, but probably not too expensive.

I have been trying to get a banner since April... Just no way... Everything is taken.

• @Alex_LiquidHost how so? Everything sold out or what?

@rds100 said: how so? Everything sold out or what?

Yup... For motnhs now. I am even monitoring the spots through buysellads and getting email alerts if a free spot of opened.. Everything is sold out and everyone seems to like the ads.

I am ready to pay double, even a triple the price to get a spot there.. :D

• So @Chief should probably just rise the price for banners. There seems to be too much demand.

Yup... Hope that I will get a spot.. Before Christmas :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Before Christmas

Haha :) A christmas present on your money :D
    M

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited August 2012

some one said semi dedicated wasn't real. We had the idea to do this a few years ago there is money to be made but you have to wait for the right people to buy it.

You would take a Quad core server like a q6600 for cheap since you can get these with raid setup and colo'd for pretty cheap give everybody access to all 4 cores but only 4 vps's per server.

so you give them a

4 vCpu Cores
    4GB Ram
    100 GB Raid 10
    5000 GB bandwidht

$40.00 per month

your paying around 75.00 a month at burstnet for colo plus enough bandwidth
    and making 160.00 with a profit of $85.00 a month per box now once you get a few
    boxes colo'd move to your own rack the price drops considerably and you make even more money.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
    edited August 2012

Crud didn't mean to like @24khost's post.

• did you mean to give it a thumbs down

edited August 2012

@24khost: Was scrolling through and I have a nasty habit of highlighting everything I read as I read it (I know... weird... the quote system messes with me too). Then I click away from the main text (deselect it) and the thank button happened to accidentally hit it.

Its a weird habit I have.

@HalfEatenPie said: Was scrolling through and I have a nasty habit of highlighting everything I read as I read it (I know... weird... the quote system messes with me too). Then I click away from the main text (deselect it) and the thank button happened to accidentally hit it.

Its a weird habit I have.

Thought it was only me... The quote system drives me out of my nerves sometimes.. ;d

• @24khost said: some one said semi dedicated wasn't real.

Correct. It's not. Like he said, it's either dedicated or not, there's no middle ground...

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited August 2012

Well technically it is real, instead of maxing out a server with several vps's you basically make it virtually dedicated. One vps per core taht way there is not alot of over utilization.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Thought it was only me... The quote system drives me out of my nerves sometimes.. ;d

woah....

Another person!

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Raise it to 60 and I have some special offers