Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare Opinion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare Opinion

hAwNerkhAwNerk Banned
edited August 2012 in General

Do you use cloudflare? I'm having reports to my visitors of false positives requiring captcha to enter my site even at essentially off setting. I'm planning to ditch it off. What are your experience with cf?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Never used it... Heard a lot of bad things for it, however a huge load of good things as well..

• Im Official Partner using a lot, never gets errors to my hosted sites or complaints. If you have healthy nameservers i dont see why you can't use it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I used it for about an hour on our website but switched back to DNSMadeEasy, CF just didn't work for us and if we wanted it to work it would have been to expensive. I do use CF on my personal website and I don't get any complaints about it (although I don't get a lot of traffic either).

• When I was using cloudflare, for every single "false positive", it turned out that they had a virus of some kind.

• I only use cloudflare for dns with "passthrough"(no caching). With caching, I was getting >11 secs respond time and pingdom constantly reports it as down.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited August 2012

@hawnerk set your security setting to off or low if you want to minimize captcha checks. There's usually a good reason they're getting it though

• If you use cloudflare, and your site starts having issues, please turn off cloudflare and check again, before you ask your host about server issues. Every "server issue" we've had with shared hosting has turned out to be broken/incorrectly-configured cloudflare....

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Zen said: cPanel based cloudflare plugin is there for a reason hosts..

I had an issue exactly via the plugin... I can stand behind @Damian on this case, it is absolutely the same with us. We get atleast 3 issues monthly, cloudflare related, the only tickets I get for the shared hosting I am offering.

• I know for a fact many people hear of Cloudflare and think instantly it can be used for DDOS protection. Correct traffic gets filtered but still...

• I use Cloudflare for DNS on all my lowendboxes.

I've never really had an issue with it, it works and it works well.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@Zen said: cPanel based cloudflare plugin is there for a reason hosts..

Exactly.
    I use cloudflare with few CMS websites maybe half year or so but so far no issues.

• @Spirit said: I use cloudflare with few CMS websites maybe half year or so but so far no issues.

what about the uptime?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

Isn't exactly uptime thing where should be no issues with CloudFlare? :) When people complain regarding CloudFlare they usually report false/positives downtime notices about their site hosting not CloudFlare itself.
    So far I haven't seen or got report from my site visitors about such issues.

• @Spirit said: So far I haven't seen or got report from my site visitors about such issues.

Good for you. Sometimes CF even give me captcha! how nice of them

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Been using it for at least a year now and working great

• @Fliphost said: Been using it for at least a year now and working great

You use pro or free only?

• @Zen said: Site down notice? Setting

Site noticed down while actually it is up? Where is the settings?

Thanked by 1Roph
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NanoG6 said: Site noticed down while actually it is up? Where is the settings?

iptables --list

• @joepie91 said: iptables --list

Ow yeah you're right, I accidentally blocked port 80 on my iptables :)

Thanked by 3klikli Amitz eLohkCalb
  • @Zen said: Maybe no one bothers to check the settings and find the variety of 100+ settings that can be adjusted to suite your needs.

Ha! CloudFlare works when you set it to essentially off. Otherwise yuo will have random false positives.

Thanked by 1Roph
  • hAwNerkhAwNerk Banned
    edited August 2012

@Zen

You have a long way to go. Trying to sound so wise yet you feel coming from an empty shell.

@Zen said: Captcha? Setting. Site down notice? Setting. Legit visitors being banned? Setting.

If you read my first post, I set my security setting to -ESSENTIALLY OFF- (I capitalized, bolded, italicized, and striked it through so you wouldn't miss it) so the captcha should be very minimal and by the way, I do not consider it "people talk about when it comes to 'errors' or 'bugs'" but rather a minor imperfection of the system and I am not out here crying as if cloudflare is causing me hell, I am just having a minimal problem and asking for opinion.

@Zen said: the sole reason of CloudFlare is to manage your DNS, provide some optimization, and some filtering to stop the bad guys.

Trying to sound Mr. Know-it-All huh! You missed CDN and Cache.

Once again a noob that didn't read up and think before posting.

• @hAwNerk said: You missed CDN and Cache.

I guess that falls under "provide optimization".

btw essential off != off. Try setting your security to custom and then editiing the specific settings on the security page.

• @gsrdgrdghd

I quote "provide some optimization". How can you place it under "some" when it is as important as "managing DNS".

• @Zen said: I can promise you every issue you are having is related to a setting/user error. The whole captcha thing is related to stopping layer 7 floods by verifying legitimate visitors from the others. You can turn it off.

I only have one issue, the captcha.

"You can turn it off." You have 3000 domains on cloudflare yet until now you believe that you can turn it off? Read the comments here especially of Damon @cloudflare: http://e1ven.com/2012/02/27/thoughts-on-cloudflare/

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NanoG6 said: Ow yeah you're right, I accidentally blocked port 80 on my iptables :)

Okay, since you don't seem to be making even a slight effort to understand what I'm saying...

Many scripts such as DoS-Deflate use iptables to block out IPs that have too many connections open. Since using Cloudflare makes all requests go through their servers, it is possible that you will receive several hundred requests from one Cloudflare IP, even if it's really several people making the requests. A script like DoS-Deflate would, at this point, blacklist that Cloudflare IP, essentially making your site unavailable for everyone that happens to be going through that specific Cloudflare server - after all, it's blocked. Cloudflare will say your site is down - after all, your server is pretending to them to not be accepting connections! - while it's actually running and accessible fine from a non-Cloudflare IP.

If this is not the case, do tell whether you attempted to contact Cloudflare support about the issue or not. I have seen many people scream that Cloudflare is 'a piece of shit and always makes my sites go down', yet none of these people seem to have made any effort to resolve the situation with the - quite helpful - Cloudflare support.

• hAwNerkhAwNerk Banned
    edited August 2012

@Zen
    Okay I accept my mistake with that past tense. At least I accept my mistake and not make excuses.

@Zen said: If you're getting the Captcha there is a reason for it, it won't show up for the sake of it.

I know that. I was just telling you that you cannot TURN IT OFF completely no matter how you insist on the settings. Read the link I gave you.

Hey Zen / Mr. Know it All, why the hell did you box the "customize challenge page" in your screenshot? Do you even know what is it? It doesn't concern any of the issues here since it is on the cosmetic side.

Wut Zen?

• @joepie91

I am just having very minor issue with I believe is false positive for .0001% of my site visitors and I am nowhere crying or screaming because of this. Just asking others' insights and opinions about cloudflare. That's all.

• hAwNerkhAwNerk Banned
    edited August 2012

@Zen said: Because if it is an issue, you can at least customize it and let your visitors know in your own style why they're being presented with a captcha.

Letting my visitors know why they are being presented with a captcha doesn't help with my issue of some visitors being presented with a captcha which is technically what we are talking about. Stop sliding through the the holes Zen.

@Zen said: Yes you can, the third option I highlighted is a big part of the captcha process, and if its still showing up after that you can contact CloudFlare and I'm sure they would have no issue with assisting you.

If you read the link I gave you, Damon of Cloudflare himself said that you cannot turn it off.

Grow up older man. Nice try. I am not sure if you trolling or just stupid.

• hAwNerkhAwNerk Banned
    edited August 2012

Though you can effectively remove the function you still cannot turn it off (which contradicts your argument because when I said you cannot turn it off, you said and I quote "Yes you can") . As stated in the link you cannot turn it off which means that it is still basically there and the false positive will remain but you may never realize it unless, again and again, you read the link and because:

I just cannot feed the troll forever. Have a wonderful day Zen-Nazi!

• @hAwNerk said: I just cannot feed the troll forever. Have a wonderful day Zen-Nazi!

Them's some mighty tall words for a guy who just joined yesterday.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie