Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice

DanielMDanielM Member
edited August 2012 in General

Looking for your opinion and advice on this upgrade. tell me what you think

Should i upgrade my laptop to a 2820QM from a 2630QM?

I will also be likely upgrading the ram to Maybe 16GB or 32GB (If i can find the right parts) there is 8GB there at the moment.

Comments

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Yes you should upgrade it.

• 200$ more doesn't justify 300 Mhz more.

• That's a beast of a laptop already.

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: 200$ more doesn't justify 300 Mhz more.

The newer CPU takes more ram too!

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@DanielM said: The newer CPU takes more ram too!

Did I ever mention I hate you for having such a beast of a machine?

I only have a lowly centrino 2 quad core HP HDX 18 with 4GB ram. Ehh, its a nice laptop, but it overheats like crazy (even with proper maintenance)

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • @DanielM said: The newer CPU takes more ram too!

Then i guess the question is if you need 32gb RAM instead of 16.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: you need 32gb RAM instead of 16.

I honestly don't think its worth it to have a laptop with 32GB RAM unless you're planning on compiling a ton of code or doing something that's ram intensive.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I honestly don't think its worth it to have a laptop with 32GB RAM unless you're planning on compiling a ton of code or doing something that's ram intensive.

I do a fair bit of gaming and firefox uses alot lol. (Its using almost 2GB Now)

• @DanielM: Firefox is only using up 700mb to 1.2GB of RAM on my end, and I also do my fair share of gaming.

I'd say use 16GB for now. You don't know when you'll buy a new laptop and when you do, get the 32GB then. (if you need it)

• You won't run into any RAM issues with 16gb. On a sidenote, switch to Chrome! ;)

• @gsrdgrdghd said: switch to Chrome! ;)

I would do if they fixed the roboform problems :D

• @DanielM said: I would do if they fixed the roboform problems :D

You could also just use the Chrome inbuilt password manager :P

• @gsrdgrdghd said: You could also just use the Chrome inbuilt password manager :P

Roboform is soo much better. Plus it sync's to android etc.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I keep over 100 tabs opened, WoW opened and a bunch of other shit, including photoshop, visual studio and 10 putty terminals.. And I can not get even close to filling my 8 gigs of RAM on my i5 laptop.. How the hell are you going to fill 16 gigs and even 32 gigs..

• Wait, Wait you utilize 2GB RAM currently and require 32GB, Yeah that makes sense...

• As does Chrome :P The synicing of open tabs and bootmarks to Chrome for Android is really amazing :D

• @Jacob said: Wait, Wait you utilize 2GB RAM currently and require 32GB, Yeah that makes sense...

did i say that? Read before making stupid comments

Thanked by 1DeletedUser

Seriously what games do you play to utilise that much RAM :D .. and generally not even sure what can be done on a desktop PC to utilise fully 32GB (or even closely).

• @gsrdgrdghd said: As does Chrome :P The synicing of open tabs and bootmarks to Chrome for Android is really amazing :D

Roboform also does bookmarks. :) aswell as Multiple Ident's

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited August 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Seriously what games do you play to utilise that much RAM :D .. and generally not even sure what can be done on a desktop PC to utilise fully 32GB (or even closely).

Need For Speed The Run
    FSX
    MS Flight
    Need For Speed World.
    HAWX 2

Most of them use around 1-3GB but still :D

Yeah, cause I've played all of them.. Not sure what FSX means, but if it is flight simulator x, I played it as well... And never came close to 8 gigs :D

But still makes sence... you can launch a couple of instances of each :D

Anyway - don't go with the faster CPU and 32 gigs of RAM, complete waste fo money. Better keep your current configuration and buy something twice as better in a couple of months.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Anyway - don't go with the faster CPU and 32 gigs of RAM, complete waste fo money.

This

But if you are still defending the idea of having 32GB, then I don't know why you ask...

I honestly would have stayed with my old Dell with centrino CPU, 2 gigs of ram and 6 hours battery... Unfortunetelly the video card did not have proper dirvers for windows 7 and ubuntu had other dirvers issues.. The only reason I dumped it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Upgrading just to upgrade is pointless. If you aren't using 8GB of RAM now then doubling it or even quadrupling it is a very unwise decision. While you're free to waste your money however you want (notice the word waste), bragging rights mean very little when the community is already aware of your intelligence level. No offense to you personally but this statement stands for just about every person who ever spent money on an upgrade that they won't benefit from.

Thanked by 2yomero HalfEatenPie
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

My laptop is an EeeePC 900 I bought for a bargain, 2 for one for 50 bucks. It has some bad sectors in the hdd but everything else works perfectly, sold the other for 50 bucks after I installed it nicely, so it is free.
    Small, battery lasts a few hours, it is almost pocket PC. Blazing fast with Puppy linux in ram, but I couldnt make the GSM modem work, so I use a small pocket one with a wireless router I got for free from my phone provider because i was a 4 Eur customer for 12 years.
    Only thing I dont like is that it is white.
    Can have 30 terminals open, even more, plus some browser tabs (no flash or other stuff, or course). It is not nice that cant load java applets for terminals, but I can use it to access my home computer if something heavy needed.
    M

• I remember when I have a pc/laptop with 256mb ram. When a virus attack, I can still stop it, stop the registry attack and file deletions. That's because the memory is not enought to handle the process.

And when I have my laptop with 4GB of ram in 2004, I can't stop the virus attack. It went so fast :p

• @KuJoe said: Upgrading just to upgrade is pointless.

Thats not just the case.The CPU is Significantly faster

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited August 2012

@KuJoe said: No offense to you personally but this statement stands for just about every person who ever spent money on an upgrade that they won't benefit from.

Perhaps you should read my previous posts within this topic.I have a budget to upgrade the system so why not?. the cpu it has is quite old now anyway.

• @DanielM said: .I have a budget to upgrade the system so why not?.

Then DO IT and don't ask here.

• @yomero said: Then DO IT and don't ask here.

Because i have certain worries which is why i asked for everyones opinion. and no need for caps :)