Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What distro do you use on your VPS? Why? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What distro do you use on your VPS? Why?

2»

Comments

• @gbshouse said: 12.04 is more up-to-date with packages that Debian 6 for example mono-runtime or pdns-server

In This Thread: People who don't get the point of Debian Stable. If you want bleeding edge repos then change your sources list. Some of us like our servers to be stable.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited August 2012

@Soylent said: In This Thread: People who don't get the point of Debian Stable. If you want bleeding edge repos then change your sources list. Some of us like our servers to be stable.

Yep, I agree 100%

For those who wish to use stable, but want to upgrade individual programs:
    1) Add the unstable repo
    2) create /etc/apt/apt.conf
    3) Paste the following

APT::Default-Release "stable";

4) When you want to upgrade a single program, use:

apt-get install program/unstable
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Soylent - as far as I know Debian people there is to much politics. We switched all our servers from Debian 6 to Ubuntu 12.04 because we couldn't wait until package maintainers decide when to put new version to stable release. Currently they support mono-runtime 2.6.7-5.1 and Ubuntu 2.10.8.1. From the developers point of view the difference is huge - support for .NET Framework 4.0.

• Thats exactly @Soylent's point @gbshouse. Debian is for people who want to have tested and stable software.

• bamnbamn Member

Plus if you don't like Debian's older nginx package, you install third party repos for nginx's packages.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: Debian is for people who want to have tested and stable software.

This.
    I started with slackware, moved to redhat at 7 after everyone was saying how good 6 was (I checked and they were right, 6 was way better than 7), stayed till 9 then moved to debian and never looked back.
    When Ubuntu came up I gave it a try, is not bad for desktop, sure this is also a reason for which mono and other development tools are more updated.
    For VPS I use centos 5 when is not my machine or when I put kloxo for someone to host a site, all the rest debian.
    M

@gsrdgrdghd - but why you assume the 12.04 is less tested than Debian stable?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

Because it has newer software. (and thats not an assumption made by me, go ask the Ubuntu and the Debian devs)

@gbshouse Debian has a way higher install base in the server market. As such is way better tested. Probably tehre are more Ubuntu desktops, tho I doubt it, but on servers debian is way ahead.
    M

Since Ubuntu derives from Debian it's not strange that there is more Debian based servers. Note that most of not-LEB providers (Azure, Amazon) offers Ubuntu because they offer support services.

• @gbshouse said: Since Ubuntu derives from Debian it's not strange that there is more Debian based servers.

Noone ever said that its strange that there are more Debian servers than Ubuntu servers. Whats your point?

@gbshouse said: Note that most of not-LEB providers (Azure, Amazon) offers Ubuntu because they offer support services.

How is that related to the discussion?

@gsrdgrdghd said: Noone ever said that its strange that there are more Debian servers than Ubuntu servers. Whats your point?

@Maounique said: Debian has a way higher install base in the server market

What distro do you use on your VPS? Why?

@gsrdgrdghd said: Note that most of not-LEB providers (Azure, Amazon) offers Ubuntu because they offer support services.

• ReeRee Member

What distro? Ubuntu 11.04, 11.10, 12.04, and Windows 2008 R2
    Why? I like Ubuntu (and Windows) and I install whatever is current when the server goes online, and don't typically upgrade until the end of life date.

I stated that there are more debian installs on servers than ubuntu to show it is more tested, because someone raised the question:

@gbshouse said: but why you assume the 12.04 is less tested than Debian stable?

I think Debian is more tested because it has more installs.
    Sorry for the slightly offtopic.
    M

• @gbshouse said: but why you assume the 12.04 is less tested than Debian stable?

Because the Debian and Ubuntu devs will both tell you that for a fact. They'll tell you that because it's true, and because they all know that's the entire philosophy behind Debian Stable. It's the entire reason Shuttleworth picked Debian as the basis for Ubuntu. It's a solid, stable source to build on.

No one's saying this makes Ubuntu bad. It's my go to OS for old desktop hardware. I'd wager to say it makes Ubuntu a worse server OS, but not by much, and less so in environments with more RAM available. It's a narrow definition of worse, like saying you like one of your kids more than the other.

If I prefer Debian it doeasnt mean Ubuntu is bad. I just think Debian is better for my specific situation (low memory servers on VPSes) and since I use it more often, I also know it better. I mean packages and versions, at times it matters for PHP and MySQL, for example.
    Ubuntu I have on an 8 GB desktop because of the better hw support. Didnt feel like compiling ALSA at the time of install, for example and at times i forget that plain netinstall disk has no firmware, that being "non-free".
    No OS is perfect. Sometimes even Windows does a better job for a specific task. This is why I go to virtualization, I can get a big machine and slice it giving and os and a machine for every task. Specialization to the extreme, chose the best for a certain task.
    BSD is better at times, Debian at others, Windows is sometimes necessary. I have CentOS too.
    M

• Debian 6 for all my server..and all are sourced to debian 6 repo + dotdeb...that's just enough for me...

• @Shamli said: Debian 6 for all my server..and all are sourced to debian 6 repo + dotdeb...that's just enough for me...

This.
    Ubuntu is debian UNSTABLE, discussingabout theUbuntu stability is useless.
    And... as aside note, debian unstable isn'really so unstable.

• I use Debian 6, Ubuntu 12.04 and recently I put Oracle Linux latest version on one of my main VPSes.

I haven't noticed any difference in stability between Debian or Ubuntu and its only been a few weeks but Oracle is running strong too.

• How sure are we that debian 7 will still be as awesome as it's predecessors?

• @jcaleb said: How sure are we that debian 7 will still be as awesome as it's predecessors?

We are sure because its been out for awhile now and its pretty great.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I'm using Debian nowadays. I feel like it's more easy to use in some ways compared to CentOS. That's because I'm not a pro sysadmin or some sort

• Debian 6, because sexy ;)

• Debian 6. I don't like how CentOS organizes config files in /etc/ directory.

Thanked by 1tux
  • FreeBSD and Ubuntu 12.04

• @black said: Debian 6. I don't like how CentOS organizes config files in /etc/ directory.

I agree.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

Edit: Wrong thread