Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any VPS/IDC has the Anycast IP provided?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any VPS/IDC has the Anycast IP provided?

jeffpanjeffpan Barred
edited August 2012 in General

As the subject. thanks.

Comments

• Maybe stylexnetwork?

• @stylexnetworks does your VPS provide an anycast IP?

• edited August 2012

@jeffpan

We do provide AnyCAST DNS, however is there a reason you need the specific IP?

Also what do you plan to use it for?

• @stylexnetworks for DNS hosting for my customers.:p
    I can pay for the anycast IP.

• fanfan Veteran

@jeffpan said: I can pay for the anycast IP.

That won't be cheap.

• This does not work as you think it does - You need a whole /24 AND dedicated servers + special software.

Costs are in the thousands per month.

Better simply use any existing provider.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2012

I talked once with the vr.org folk and he quoted it for something like ~ 500USD per month 11 VMs in all their regions plus 1 anycast IP plus managed service

• @gbshouse this is OK, but what happens if one of your VPS in one of the regions is down (at the application level)? I guess the traffic is still routed to it... which is not what you want, to have proper anycast.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@rds100 - I agree, that's why we choose a little bit different architecture for our DNS service

• @rds100

I guess the traffic is still routed to it... which is not what you want, to have proper anycast.

why this happen since it is an anycast IP? thank you.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2012

@jeffpan because i doubt they will reserve a /24 per customer for anycasting, when the customer only needs a single IP. So that /24 is routed (announced) at each location. And your VPS at specific location being down because you are updating your software or screwed your configuration does not mean that the whole /24 will stop being announced from that location.

• @rds100 OK that's it thanks.

• If you're basically looking to set up anycasted DNS, it's definitely easier to piggyback an existing system.

We're using the OnApp CDN DNS service which works well, however Amazon's Route53 is also pretty awesome.