Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH is giving out about 10000 dedicated servers in their new US DC for free!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH is giving out about 10000 dedicated servers in their new US DC for free!

NevilNevil Member
edited August 2012 in General

I'm kind of impressed that no one else posted that here. So OVH has a new data centre in the USA and they are giving out 10000 beta dedicated servers for free. Aswell as the micro vKSs these dedicated servers are testing products and you may lose it whenever the provider decides to. OVH promised to contact you before taking away your dedicated server.

Specs of the dedicated server:
Processor Intel Core i3 2130 2x3.4GHz (HT enabled)
RAM 16 GB DDR3
Hard disk 2x 1 TB - SATA2
RAID SOFT - 0/1
NIC FastEthernet (100Mbps)
10TB traffic/mo*

*If you exceed 10TB of traffic per month the connection will be cut down to 10Mbps from 100Mbps.

You can install Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux (lots of templates, with cPanel, SolusVM, DirectAdmin, Xen Server and much much more) or Windows (Windows Server 2012 Datacentre RC and Hyper-V Server R2). It has unlimited free remote reboots aswell as reinstalls, monitoring, RDNS control and a lot of other stuff.

You can sign up for one here: http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/
Managerv5 Address: https://ca.ovh.com/managerv5/

You need a Twitter account and you have to follow OVH on Twitter to recieve a validation code.

Special conditions of beta test:
http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/support/termsofservice/Special_Conditions_Betatest_CA.pdf

I got mine yesterday and reinstalled to Windows Server 2012 Data centre RC today but this metro stuff looks aweful :(.

Test (Speed and Ping):

Geekbench:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/909593

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Didn't know they were giving out more. Limit reached for today :(

• flyfly Member

old.

• Yeah, Limit reached.

• vahevahe Member

And when is their tomorrow? What's their timezone?

• @vahe: look on OVH's twitter :P Next batch is 9:00 EST

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

No am or pm...I guess that means am.

• how many each day? sorry many sites are blocked in our office

• 125 dedicated servers on AM @jarland.

• vahevahe Member

@jcaleb said: how many each day? sorry many sites are blocked in our office

1. Here's the tweet "Today, 125 free beta dedicated servers #BHS will be available for N/S American resident at 9:00 EST"
  • Ohh... I'm not qualified. Thanks so much. All social network are blocked here =)

• NevilNevil Member
    edited August 2012

Here is a quick speed test to show that it is really a 100Mbit:

Actually they add 250 new dedicated servers every 24 hours into the pool.

• Did anyone manage to get one, fancy submitting a benchmark? Keen to see how these perform. 10,000 free test servers is a crazy amount imo.....

• ReeRee Member

I had one expire about 2 weeks ago. It was nice to play with, but too expensive for what I need.

@serverbear They're only free for a month. It's actually a pretty good idea IMO. I don't run a hosting operation but I guess there's some percentage of new hardware that fails right away. So I assume there's some sort of burn-in testing that gets done to help weed out these faulty components. And you can either have staff perform this testing (costing at least $9.90/hr if OVH pay minimum wage in Quebec), or you can have guinea pigs fight for the chance to do it for free (and eat the cost of transit, which I assume is much cheaper overall). Of course not everybody will push the server hard so it may not be the greatest burn-in test, but it's better than nothing I guess.

• @Ree said: They're only free for a month.

Hell I'd still pay for it afterwards

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited August 2012

@Ree The fact that you can get 10,000 trial customers within such a short period of time is impressive.

Will this move make it easier/cheaper for some canadian hosts to offer beefy Canadian packages?

How's the latency to East Coast USA?

• @serverbear said: The fact that you can get 10,000 trial customers within such a short period of time is impressive.

Its OVH. They're the same people who sells Atoms for 23 dollars USD.

• @HalfEatenPie Technically that's Kimsufi, right?

• @serverbear said: Technically that's Kimsufi, right?

Haha that's true.

But the billing system and everything else is OVH :P (including control panel)

• @Nevil said: So OVH has a new data centre in the USA and they are giving out 10000 beta dedicated servers for free.

Where is that data center located? Why did OVH open another one after opening the one in Canada?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Where is that data center located? Why did OVH open another one after opening the one in Canada?

Its their Canada datacenter. @Nevil just said it wrong (they've been advertising it as a US datacenter but its in Canada)

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @HalfEatenPie said: @Nevil just said it wrong (they've been advertising it as a US datacenter but its in Canada)

Nope. Open the site, what does it say? OVH arrived in USA. So what did I say wrong? lmao

Not my fault.

• Limit reached. Maybe I should try again tomorrow

• @Nevil said: Nope. Open the site, what does it say? OVH arrived in USA. So what did I say wrong? lmao

Exactly what you wrote. On their site it says that OVH arrived in the US. You said that they have build a data center in the US. The two statements are obviously not the same.

Anyway this is not the point of the topic. Does anyone know at which times they restock?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2012

@Nevil: Eh, alright , but just letting you know its in Canada.

From OVH's website, it says "Discover BHS, our datacenter in Beauharnois."

Their "USA" order page: https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/usa_order_beta.xml

Their youtube link "discovering" the datacenter: (aka its in Canada)

Google Map of their location: http://goo.gl/maps/ka0Qd (building's in Canada)

The image on the main page:

Don't take most of their advertising 100%, it most definitely has much better connection to the USA than their other locations in Europe, but its still in Canada unfortunately. The world of Maple Syrup and Mounties.

I made that same mistake too though earlier... was actually quite disappointed it wasn't actual in-in the states.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Anyway this is not the point of the topic. Does anyone know at which times they restock?

Look at their twitter page for all their time updates.

Next stock is in 15 minutes.

• @serverbear said: Did anyone manage to get one, fancy submitting a benchmark? Keen to see how these perform. 10,000 free test servers is a crazy amount imo.....

Throwing a benchmark your way!

• Apparently this round is only for people in Canada :/

• You have to be from canada? thats how it looks to be after I got the code.

• @ElliotJ Free doesn't count towards the comp you know :P Many thanks, appreciate it.

• Here is a benchmark from Geekbench:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/909593