Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft's new outlook.com email...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft's new outlook.com email...

Comments

• Looks like shit, rather not go through the bother of moving gmail to it. Gmail still wins for me with Thunderbird for multiple accounts.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

nice UI. you can also create a new ID. but too bad all the nice-and-short ID already taken :(

• Is it bad that I like this?

• subigosubigo Member

@eastonch said: Looks like shit, rather not go through the bother of moving gmail to it. Gmail still wins for me with Thunderbird for multiple accounts.

Gmail scans your emails and doesn't allow aliases. And the design is awful. The new Outlook looks nice, doesn't scan shit, and allows real aliases. And people still use desktop clients for email? I don't think I've done that in at least seven years.

• azizmbazizmb Member

Doesn't look too bad, I still will stick with gmail though.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

UI in the link you provided = AWESOME! Yet when I login with my e-mail address all I see is the default OWA which I hate with a passion. :(

We were talking about ditching GMail today so I'm finally going to start migrating to another service soon, I hate GMail more than OWA though so it might be an option. With K9 Mail installed on my phone, GMail no longer has any benefits over any other e-mail provider with the IMAP Push option. :)

• flyfly Member

@subigo said: doesn't scan shit

mfw

• subigosubigo Member

@KuJoe said: UI in the link you provided = AWESOME! Yet when I login with my e-mail address all I see is the default OWA which I hate with a passion. :(

I created a totally new account and I see the new UI. Apparently you have to enable it somewhere if you have an old account.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited July 2012

Is it just me or does the location of the send button just seem like a big UI mistake?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

LOVE it. The capcha is pretty screwy though. First time I tried to send an email I typed it correctly (easiest capcha to read ever), it told me I was over the limit on attempts. One? But oh well, I'm not entirely sure what happens if I send an e-mail from outlook.com while logged in as [email protected] and it never asked me to create an alias. So new account, jarland@outlook it is ;)

• @subigo said: Gmail scans your emails...

@subigo Actually it was just nice wording on their part:

We don't scan your email content or attachments and sell this information to advertisers or any other company...

If that's the case, then Gmail doesn't scan emails either, as everything is kept internal.

• @telephone said: If that's the case, then Gmail doesn't scan emails either, as everything is kept internal.

I'm talking about scanning your email to show you ads. They don't even show ads when reading an email.

• This looks so fresh and and organized compared to Gmail's UI. I felt like the Gmail interface suddenly looks "cluttered" right after using Outlook.

Thanks for sharing btw.

• From old hotmail,

Just need to do Upgrade to Outlook ... Then you can pick new @outlook.com name or just stay with the current one.

After pick new one, I have to edit pidgin setting to use new @outlook.com address to use msn.

Rarely use hotmail last time.... maybe I dont use this new outlook and kept it spam free (i hope so).

• Looks amazing. Was able to transition over my Live for Domains email, too.

• u4iau4ia Member

Very nice, I even got 'u4ia' for my account :)

• gianggiang Veteran

I just click on outlook.com and it automatic logon with my live.com email, the new UI look simple but easy to organize than the old UI :D

• lbftlbft Member

There's no IMAP, which sucks.

• @lbft said: There's no IMAP, which sucks.

there is, but on mobile device. PUSH supported.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited August 2012

@NanoG6 said: there is, but on mobile device. PUSH supported.

AFAIK there's Exchange ActiveSync (supported on many mobile devices) but not IMAP.

• ReeRee Member

Wish I had known it supported aliases before I went and registered four different accounts! I'll probably only end up forwarding mail to gmail anyway and not really use them.

Speaking of forwarding, anybody see if the junk mail filter can be disabled? Murphy says important stuff will land in there, and then not get forwarded to my gmail, so I'll never see it.

• @lbft said: AFAIK there's Exchange ActiveSync (supported on many mobile devices) but not IMAP

Well i'm not sure. On my iPhone there are Exchange ActiveSync and Microsoft Hotmail options. When I choose Microsoft Hotmail (@hotmail or @live), not Exchange, the iPhone setup automatically to receive push mail and synchronize. Actually I don't care wether it is Exchange or IMAP, as long as the emails are pushed and synchronized.

• When I login to outlook.com with my hotmail credentials I automatically get upgraded to the new interface. Which I think is much much better than the old one.

The service itself still sucks imo. That smartscreen filter of theirs, @#$%@#!!! Emails from servers with clean ip's, proper SPF/sender-id records and valid dkim-signature getting delivered in the junk folder... Every time I check my inbox for new mail I also need to check my junk folder, what's the use of that filter :S.

• my firstname.surname is already taken =(

• @happel said: The service itself still sucks imo. That smartscreen filter of theirs, @#$%@#!!! Emails from servers with clean ip's, proper SPF/sender-id records and valid dkim-signature getting delivered in the junk folder... Every time I check my inbox for new mail I also need to check my junk folder, what's the use of that filter :S.

That's why you use a third-party (gmail or your own domain) as the email address you hand out to people/sites and have all mail forwarded to your outlook.com address. Then just whitelist your domain and nothing gets sent to the junk folder. I've had a "spam" email that I've used as a filter for like seven years now.

• @jarland said: LOVE it. The capcha is pretty screwy though.

Microsoft catchas are case-sensitive (unlike Google's) and some letters on them are really hard to tell if they are upper case or not.

Does OutLook.com actually support IMAP (unlike other Microsoft email services)?

• @MrLawoodle said: Does OutLook.com actually support IMAP

Nope.

• @subigo said: Nope.

Then by standards, it sucks.

/end of pun.

• @MrLawoodle said: Then by standards, it sucks.

Am I the only one on the Internet who has never once used IMAP or had any desire to use it? shrug

• @subigo said: Am I the only one on the Internet who has never once used IMAP or had any desire to use it? shrug

You have to be rather stupid to still be using POP3.