Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

few questions regarding OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

few questions regarding OS

sam-maximum sam-maximum Member
edited April 2013 in General

most common question centos vs debian || centos 32 vs 64 ||------>which one consume less CPU
what recommendation is there for a single core processor when cpu load easily touch 1 and above?

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If your cpu load touches 1 and above its not about the OS. You need to trim/optimize your applications or (if already optimized) get something with more resources.

Asking about what OS is better is like asking: what is better, which marmelade is better, orange or strawberry?

• You're likely to reach a lower memory footprint with Debian than with CentOS with less 'tweaking'

• Centos and Debian are both good OS. It depends on which one you are used to and what are you going to use it for. i.e for a system that has RAM under 256MB Debian is the reasonable choice.

• As explained by @vRozenSch00n totally depends on your comfort zone and the kind of applications you would like to use. If you dont have such dependency start with debian 6 / ubuntu 12.04

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited April 2013

@peppr yes debian 6 / ubuntu 12.04 I think are best choices.

• i use these few things nginx/php-fpm/mysql/ftp/ssh

• @rajin90 what os are you using right now..

•  sam-maximum sam-maximum Member
    edited April 2013

centos 5 : cpu cores 4 intel xeon x3430

• I personally not really found of CentOS as packages are too old, but I still have 3 tiny (the biggest one has 64M RAM) server running CentOS/Scientific Linux 6 and they are running very well.

For most time, I prefer Ubuntu 12.04 first, then Debian 6, you can optimize it down to less than 10m RAM usage without many tricks, for fresh system of course, and apt-get just uses less memory than yum.

As for the high load, you should check your applications first to seek for the reason, if you are on a clean server and it reaches high, contact the provider to see if there's anything wrong (most likely, yes) with the host node.

• @MikHo said: which marmelade is better, orange or strawberry?

strawberry, ofc.

• In Centos, Mr. Yum is to be blamed for taking too much memory when we update the system.

• @vRozenSch00n said: Mr. Yum is to be blamed

yum can be tamed to run even in a 64MB VPS. I remember running in ipxcore 50 cent vps

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Lol deadpool

• Yum has no issues with low memory if you are not dealing with OpenVZ.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited April 2013

@dmmcintyre3 ... Yum has no issues with low memory if you are not dealing with OpenVZ.

That may make a good article for your blogs @MikHo & @Raymii. A very detailed comparison between OpenVZ and KVM ? Linked to on the LET wiki.

EDIT : s/may/would/

• @dmmcintyre3 exactly, we can always use the swap :)

• @bnmkl said: Hat may make a good article for your blogs @MikHo & @Raymii. A very detailed comparison between OpenVZ and KVM ? Linked to on the LET wiki.

Well, not really IMHO, OpenVZ/Xen PV is paravirtualization, more like isolation only running the same linux kernel, and KVM/Xen HVM is just like VMware or Virtualbox or real hardware, all isolated, with your own kernel, windows, BSD etc. That OpenVZ/PV uses less memory is because it doesn't run its own kernel and related stuff. It's more like a chroot on steroids.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@bnmkl said: A very detailed comparison between OpenVZ and KVM ? Linked to on the LET wiki.

Its not detailed perhaps but I think I did get the main difference?
    http://t.co/DuT89MsKnV

• tuxtux Member

@Raymii said: Well, not really IMHO, OpenVZ/Xen PV is paravirtualization, more like isolation only running the same linux kernel, and KVM/Xen HVM is just like VMware or Virtualbox or real hardware, all isolated, with your own kernel, windows, BSD etc.

You can run own linux kernel in XEN PV.