Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAID Card for SSDs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAID Card for SSDs?

BrandonBrandon Member
edited March 2013 in General

I'm planning on building a server with 4 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID10. Do you guys have any RAID card recommendations?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

Mega RAID 9XXX will do quite well. Using 9266 on our nodes currently and they are performing great

Do note there have been reports of issues with LSI cards and the 840s. @Nick_A could probably tell you more than i can.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited March 2013

We're using the Adaptec 6405s, and we're getting about the same speed as @Nick_A on Serverbear's dd test.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I wouldn't use Pros anymore.

• @Nick_A said: I wouldn't use Pros anymore.

Any issues with them?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@ftpit said: Any issues with them?

Hell drive :(

• @Brandon: Did you happen to try it out without a RAID card?

An issue with mdadm raid is that there's not enough i/o bandwidth to handle mdadm's psychotic checking with mechanical drives. I think that this would not be a problem with SSDs.

I'm interested to see if 4x SSD in SW RAID 10 would be viable, or not.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Damian I'm going to try it :)

• @Damian the problem with 4x SSDs in soft RAID 10 would be that most motherboards come with only two SATA3 ports, so two of the SSDs would be on SATA2 ports which would be the limiting factor for the max speed.

• @rds100 said: @Damian the problem with 4x SSDs in soft RAID 10 would be that most motherboards come with only two SATA3 ports, so two of the SSDs would be on SATA2 ports which would be the limiting factor for the max speed.

SATA 2 is theoretically 3GB/s, which could work.

• @mnpeep said: SATA 2 is theoretically 3GB/s, which could work.

Yes, SATA2 gives a practical maximum of about 280MB/s. Modern SSDs can do (at least theoretically) 550MB/s. So SATA2 would be limiting their maximum speed.

• @rds100 said: Yes, SATA2 gives a practical maximum of about 280MB/s. Modern SSDs can do (at least theoretically) 550MB/s. So SATA2 would be limiting their maximum speed.

Wait, so when it says Sata 2 on a motherboard, it's 3GBits, not 3GBytes? It's a scam I tell you!

• @mnpeep :) Of course it's 3 gigabits per second :)
    SATA1 = 1.5 gigabits / second
    SATA2 = 3 gigabits / second
    SATA3 = 6 gigabits / second