Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFMPEG Requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FFMPEG Requirements

picypicy Member
edited March 2013 in Help

Guys,

I need to know the requirement of VPS which can do about 2000 Conversion per day. Or even more.

Comments

• Lots of horsepower (CPU)

• For $79/mo you can get an AMD FX-8120 and for $84/mo you can get an AMD FX-8320 which is defo worth the 5 bucks.

These AMDs burn CPU like hell, they're amazing, both available at Datashack

• @picy most VPS won't allow you this. CPU cores are usually fair-use shared and having a constant high load will affect other users. You have either find a VPS with dedicated core(s) or get a dedicated (which is the common practice for such tasks).

• picypicy Member

@nstorm please refer this thread http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/8489/doubt-regarding-ip#Item_10

And pleas say what can i do.

• jhjh Member

Have a look at Amazon's Elastic Transcoder

• I've already replied you there. You'll need a tunnel/vpn on your US VPS. That way you don't have to install ffmpeg at your VPS. If you can't configure tunnel yourself find someone to do that for you (hint: fiverr.com).

• picypicy Member

For downloading video and conerting video to mp3 do i need very high end config?

Wont Kimsufi KMS 2g do the job?

• Probably. But if you already got server, you can use Kimsufi to just download end extract original AAC track (it doesn't requires much), upload it to your main server where it will be re-encoded to MP3.

• picypicy Member

@nstorm so is there any way to access US youtube page through german ip? other than vpn?

• Time to convert depends on (available) clock speed. More cores is more concurrent processes.

• Buy a cheap dedicated in US, do the conversion there, then dump the data over to your EU server if you want to.

• RophRoph Member
    edited March 2013

If you're just doing audio, what's the point? My old Intel E5200 chews through hundreds of tracks fairly quickly.

• @Roph said: E5200

That's actually not that bad of a processor

• You say 'conversion' not 'transcoding'. Ie are you just remuxing or is the a video convertsion in the process?

• BayuBayu Member

Extracting audio stream from flv/mp4 container doesn't required high power cpu, but may require fast hdd if demuxing is performed simultaneously.

• @abaxas I guess he needs to extract aac audiotrack from mp4 container (considering this is the most common combination on youtube) and transcode it to MP3.
    Transcoding will be doing too much CPU utilization if run that often for VPS. But he already got dedi where he can transcode, just need to download video from US IP and probably extract that track (without transcoding).
    Not a rocket science, pretty easy to do and all options were already offered to OP.

• Ok, OP, here is how you do it:
    1. Buy an US VPS or dedi with enough traffic
    2. Setup a private transparent HTTP proxy (Looks at Host field) and restrict access to dedi (iptables)
    3. In your german dedicated server you put the US IP followed by youtube.com and www.youtube.com in your /etc/hosts file

That's it! All your traffic will be through your german IP except for youtube, that will be through USA. If you need any help doing this, for example with setting up the HTTP proxy, just shoot me a message :-)