Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motion to ban listing on LEB/LET for providers with private whois
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Motion to ban listing on LEB/LET for providers with private whois

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited February 2013 in General

I started the discussion yesterday in the Kiloserve thread

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/212219#Comment_212219

But I guess this is a potential consideration for a change to this community and deserves its own thread.

Basically in view of Kiloserve's demise, I would like to propose to have LET/LEB to disallow any listing unless providers uses public whois, regardless of how long the providers have been in business. Since although providers who have been in business for a few years are less likely to disappear, it does not mean they will disappear any more responsibly if their true identity are hidden.

I understand that the providers may choose to put fake whois information if that were to become the case. However that also means they risk of losing the domain, which is a big part of the business. Furthermore, I am sure if people decide to use fake whois information, somebody in LET/LEB community will find it out sooner or later, which means it would be a big hit to their reputation as well.

Feel free to share your thoughts below. Providers whose domain are currently hidden under private whois feel free to join the discussion, but please state that your domain has whois info hidden clearly. Thank you.

Comments

• I support this proposal.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

There is no good reason to hide your business identity. You can get a skype or google voice phone number, a post office box or virtual office. There are a lot of ways to be transparent without putting yourself at risk.

I second this motion.

Keep in mind that a degraded reputation by excessive scam hosts will lower the value of the ads on the right.

• @murky said: I support this proposal.

@jarland said: I second this motion.

Thanks people. If this motion gains enough support, I am just wondering will @Liam or @Chief consider taking this into account? Thanks!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I also agree, it has long been contested and afaik already a rule for LEB.

• @AnthonySmith said: afaik already a rule for LEB.

As far as I know it is not, BetaVPS.NET is an example with private whois.

• Expressing an idea or wish = notion

But yes I agree

• @KernelSanders said: Expressing an idea or wish = notion

I think I meant more as in a proposal formally made to a deliberative assembly: to make a motion to adjourn. :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/motion

• I'm in support of this. I was worried at first but when I registered as a limited company all my information became public anyway so it is no different.

+1, OP.

• @Liam said: I have to agree with you. It may already be in the pipeline though - will talk with @chief about it.

Thanks Liam, looking forward to an "official" response from @Chief :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I'm with this too. ;)

• Well, I don't care. If a provider uses whois protection and doesn't even display name, then they have something to hide. If you have something to hide then don't own a company.

• Thanks, and one more thought, some domains have automatic private whois protection (such as .ca domains), in that case I think the providers should list their contact info (physical address/phone/email) on their website before been listed on LET/LEB to prevent people taking advantages of the automatic private whois.

• @zhuanyi I don't like the idea of listing all their contact information on their website, on WHOIS info sure, but lets say you have a upset client with mental issues, they might attempt to harm you.

@curtisg Such is the nature of business. Extremely likely scenario for server at McDonald's but at the same time, unavoidable, all of their annoyed clients know exactly where to find them.

• @jarland a good way I've seen some host owners do, is for example, one person(not naming them) registered a .me domain of their last name, then put firstname.lastname.me and put info about them, etc.

• @Liam said: Although, If I knew your full name and a rough idea where you lived, I could use other online tools to find your address + more sensitive info.

Yes, but would you rather post everything about you on your companies site or just have it anyone who can use whois search be able to see it.

• I support this.

If you hide behind a private whois, it makes me wonder what else you have to hide.

• @curtisg said: I don't like the idea of listing all their contact information on their website, on WHOIS info sure, but lets say you have a upset client with mental issues, they might attempt to harm you.

I believe in UK you will have to list that info to start selling anything online. Yet from what I know, I have yet to see any UK-based provider getting attacked by some psychos.

P.S. You might want to indicate clearly that your business is hidden behind private whois as well:

http://who.is/whois/centralvps.com

• @Liam said: I have to agree with you. It may already be in the pipeline though - will talk with @chief about it.

Good to know! :)

• I cast my vote on this as well.

• Votes for this.

P.O. box, virtual office, etc. No excuses.

• I support this.

• Interesting that none of the new hosts are chiming in here.....

I vote +1 on this.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

No reason not to

• Meh.

• Definitely agree. A physical address lends more credibility.

• +1 on this

• NexusNexus Member
    edited February 2013

I don't host, but I do agree 100% if that matters :P

/signed

• I vote +1 I always get disgusted when I see an offer with private whois.

This discussion has been closed.