Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

kernel concerns
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

kernel concerns

drmikedrmike Member
edited November 2011 in General

I just noticed this.

On my quickweb 256 Xen:

Linux vps.cynix.us 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem #1 SMP Tue Mar 8 22:14:55 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

On my pyramidserver 128 KVM in the Netherlands, I have:

Linux vps2 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Mon Oct 3 04:15:24 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Both are supposed to be Debian 6.

Should I be concerned about the differences?

Comments

• Seems to be they have the same kernel, what's the concern? The only difference to me is the compile time.

• @draco said: Seems to be they have the same kernel, what's the concern? The only difference to me is the compile time.

The first one has -bigmen

• Both of those are concerns. the missing bigmem and the difference in compile date.

I should have noted that both of those VPSes just got reinstalled side by side within the last hour with the same sources.list. Entered the commands at the same time flipping back and forth between windows.

• -bigmem is for systems running i386 with over 3gb of ram, similar to EL and -PAE kernels, but reality is both kernels are the same tree, one has the PAE options enabled to see more then 3gb of ram on i386

• The Xen one is a PV, so, probably is the same kernel that your node has.

The KVM can have an updated kernel if you want, like....

Linux lap 3.1.0-1-686-pae #1 SMP Sat Nov 5 13:14:29 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

And well, an old kernel doesn't imply a security concern.

• tuxtux Member
    edited November 2011

If your provider use Xen PV with pygrub/pvgrub, you can install your own kernel to your box

root@tux:~# uname -a
    Linux tux 3.1.0-2-virtual #2-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 26 23:55:47 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
  • I;m just concerned and surprised that there's such a difference between the two. I;m not going to go messing with kernels as I'll probably screw up something else.

The other annoyance is a couple of times during the last year, the -bigmem one has had upgrades come down every so often but yet the version and the date on it stays the same. (I'll get the actual package name when I have ssh access.)

• If it's xen PV then it's normal.

Anyway as they are not the same it would pretty unlikely that the compliation time would be the same :D