Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

CentOS Installation Problems

CentOS Installation Problems

dominicldominicl Member
edited November 2012 in Help

Hello

I've done this before..but can't remember what I did last time. I'm trying to install CentOS via a DVD. I've got a DVD drive attached to my server mounted with the CentOS image. It's saying there's no CD/DVD media when I am given the option. The other options are: Hard Drive, NFS directory and URL. I am not sure how I resolved this last time.

There is a DVD in the drive, as I am booted into the installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Protip : Netinstall.

Transparency: I work for Nodisto and all subsequent businesses: Backupsy, VPSDime, Winity, Cloudive, and DotVPS. My opinions represented through posts on this forum are mine and not the opinions of these businesses unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited November 2012

If it's a netinstall or minimal Centos image, it will not give you the option to install via disc, and will only give the listed options.

You can just do a netinstall, would be easier: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/centos-6-netinstall-network-installation/

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • jhadleyjhadley Member
    edited November 2012

You need to install via URL

The URL you need is http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.8/os/[architecture]/ for CentOS 5 or http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.3/os/[architecture]/ for 6.

Put your small hosting business on auto-pilot with Loading Deck
  • TazTaz Disabled
    edited November 2012

Check bios and change the boot order?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @jhadley said: You didn't burn the actual ISO to disk by any chance did you? Also is it an internal or extenal DVD drive?

Not 100% sure on that, the DC did it. I'm doing a netinstall as suggested. Seems to be working now. Just couldn't remember how I did it last time!

Thanks.

• @Taz said: Check bios and change the boot order?

That wouldn't make much sense, its getting to the device, and telling him there is no media on it. Netinstall is the best option here, even from a home connection a minimal netinstall will not take that long. If there is no OS/bootloader on the HDD it will skip and go to the next in order, so changing it really makes no sense.

Transparency: I work for Nodisto and all subsequent businesses: Backupsy, VPSDime, Winity, Cloudive, and DotVPS. My opinions represented through posts on this forum are mine and not the opinions of these businesses unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • I'm in the installation. Resolved. Thanks guys, especially @Zen. I miss the thank button :(

• You're welcome

• TazTaz Disabled

Misread :(

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @Taz said: Misread :(

;) No probs