Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Hostigation LAX BGP Issues anyone?

Hostigation LAX BGP Issues anyone?

klikliklikli Member
edited October 2012 in General

Constantly dropping routes, so site gets down It's been a issue for more than a week Can't open a ticket (their website is down too) so got to start a thread here.

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

Tagged:

Comments

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited October 2012

My servers working fine though. Just the main site that's down for me.

@miTgiB - Hopefully he'll get an email to his phone, probably already knows though :P

• dominicldominicl Member
    edited October 2012

Main site is down for me too.

@miTgiB

• @klikli said: It's been a issue for more than a week

Doesn't sound like @mitgib. Although the main site is down currently.

google that will ya?

• I just signed up last week and I've noticed a lot of network drop outs from the beginning. I've just been giving it some time to see if it's temporary, or if this is the way it normally is.

Looks like I signed up just in time for the fun.

• Yup, issues here too.

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited October 2012

@david @jamson Which location? I'm in NC and I've not had a single issue for weeks..

• @AsadHaider said: Which location? I'm in NC and I've not had a single issue for weeks..

LA for me. It seems to go in stages of being solid, then dropping in and out. It's usually only a few minutes, but i assumed it was just me since nobody else was reporting issues.

• My vps in LA is down too.

Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • serverbearserverbear Member
    edited October 2012

Pretty sure they've been having some DDOS problems in LA recently?

https://twitter.com/hostigation/status/256580550565982208

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • My VPS in LA is down too.

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• Oops forgot tagging him. In case someone is curious...

• @AsadHaider said: Which location? I'm in NC and I've not had a single issue for weeks..

It's the Los Angeles location.

• My server is up now, but I still want to know what's happened.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

Just wait for Tim to get up, it's night for him right now.

I'm sure he'll post an update then.

President Of Operations/CEO/CFO/CTO/COO of my account

• MowdMowd Member
    edited October 2012

I started to use hostigation on 10/17 because everybody say it's good. But...

Date(UTC+8) Downtime 2012-10-26 17:24:29 30m 2012-10-26 17:18:30 2m 2012-10-24 10:55:29 2m 2012-10-24 10:52:29 1m 2012-10-23 01:03:29 11m 2012-10-22 02:58:29 3m 2012-10-19 11:38:00 15m 2012-10-17 23:25:00 2m

• @Mowd said: My server is up now, but I still want to know what's happened.

From Klikli's graph it looks like it's been going up and down.

Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: Just wait for Tim to get up, it's night for him right now.

I'm sure he'll post an update then.

Yeah, this. No point repeatedly asking here or opening support tickets, just wait for Tim to reply.

• @concerto49 said: From Klikli's graph it looks like it's been going up and down.

Mine is still up.

• VictorVictor Member
    edited October 2012

Are they using QuadraNET by any chance? Our servers there were unreachable just then but came back up again after awhile. Not sure what happened, but looking into it myself..

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

• @Victor said: Are they using QuadraNET by any chance?

Yep - https://twitter.com/hostigation/status/256584109323857922

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited October 2012

It's not only you. I've been having these downtime since early feb/march and have since abandoned the vps on LAX. I submitted ticket but it was never taken seriously because it was a short burst of downtime, from random 5 mins to 15 mins.

30 days:

picture alt

6 months:

picture alt

I really wanted to get back to using the vps because seriously hostigation offers the most amazing and weird iso.

• As i have a BGP session with them, yes, i see them drop too.

Opinions/Posts are to be assumed my own/personal and not company related unless obvious - Content is protected by free speech laws in the US (where LET is hosted) and Austria (where i live). I am currently not working @ EDIS due to health issues.

• @cosmicgate, which vps type do you use? kvm or openvz?

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited October 2012

@Mowd: kvm, because i like their choice of iso. really weird stuffs.

• oh no, I just jump out of kiloserve, don't tell me I jump into another nightmare...

• No, you haven't.

Someone go slap Kate at Quadranet

-- BOFH

• Hmm, Quadra told me they had an issue with a line card which is now fixed, not sure if it's the same issue.

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

• Move over to NC, it's nice over here. ;)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2012

@Victor said: Quadra told me they had an issue with a line card which is now fixed, not sure if it's the same issue.

Not real sure, Kate left no IM overnight, and I just woke up, had a few customers that left a ticket it was out for 30 minutes, but I have no attack logs from the router, so I am guessing it may be related.

EDIT: Just received response from Quadranet support that it indeed was the line card

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • @KuJoe said: Move over to NC, it's nice over here. ;)

I won't have power to add servers until Jan.

• @cosmicgate said: It's not only you. I've been having these downtime since early feb/march and have since abandoned the vps on LAX.

Well now this is something I am seeing become much more prevalent. I think it is due to the way I built the LAN, and before I start having the same issues as @Francisco is in San Jose, I've started moving to a much more segmented network. A jumbo VLAN1 was not such a wise choice, and there are now 1000's of hosts in it, so I have begun creating separate VLANs and will limit each to a /23 of IP space. The convenience of a massive IP pool is now lost with this. I should have the new servers ready to go over the weekend, with enough gear for a KVM node and a couple of OpenVZ nodes, since you've abandoned your VPS, you'd make an excellent test subject.

Thanked by 1cosmicgate
  • I've never found Quadranet to be a great facility. Seems mighty popular in the VPS community though.

Throughput every time I test something on their network underwhelms.

• @pubcrawler said: I've never found Quadranet to be a great facility

It is a better facility than most for the price

@pubcrawler said: Throughput every time I test something on their network underwhelms.

How does full available wire underwhelm?

• Quadranet is then one of those price magnets. That makes sense.

I've never seen full wire speeds to anything in Quadranet's facility. Could be the end resellers. Probably dealt with 3-4 different entities at that facility.

Their own speed test file is rather pokey though too... Have tested it from dozens of other providers and have maybe two locations that get decent speeds, but far from gig speeds.

• I think Tim does extremely well for a one man show.

When I had services with him in both locations , ticket response was never more than an hour or two.

Services were only down once or twice one due to a power issue on the router and other someone was getting an attack these were in CLT , LA had 100% uptime for the time I used it.

• It's once again down.. (edit: just got up for now-.-)

What should I expect to this sort of downtime? :3

• I have my IRC bouncer on his LA nodes, ive never had an issue.

• @klikli said: What should I expect to this sort of downtime?

It will require a new IP, but put in a ticket and I will move you to a new VLAN. What is it you use to monitor?

• @miTgiB said: What is it you use to monitor?

me curious too....

• I'll bet my bottom dollar it's UptimeRobot!

• These are the outages my ping tracker has detected so far since I setup the service a week ago (the time is gmt+8).

10/21/2012 19:04:15     00:01:01
    10/21/2012 19:07:58     00:02:12
    10/22/2012 03:02:19     00:03:23
    10/23/2012 01:14:17     00:09:49
    10/23/2012 01:30:12     00:01:01
    10/23/2012 14:44:32     00:02:12
    10/24/2012 10:57:04     00:02:33
    10/24/2012 11:01:28     00:01:12
    10/26/2012 17:20:52     00:02:03
    10/26/2012 17:54:29     00:29:24
    10/26/2012 18:27:20     00:07:56
    10/27/2012 01:58:04     00:01:00

• klikliklikli Member
    edited October 2012

It has been up and stable after the move ;) And, yes, it's UptimeRobot.

• Mine is still giving random drops

• @mitgib mine is down once again, can you please look into this (sorry on mobile can't log a ticket)

• @klikli said: @mitgib mine is down once again, can you please look into this (sorry on mobile can't log a ticket)

Hmm, just wondering, do you have some data starting from around 13/10? I am trying to figure out if it's the same dropouts I am getting from our LA servers as it sounds quite similar.

• @victor deleted monitor on uptimerobot but I'll post my email notification times as soon as I can;)

• @klikli said: @victor deleted monitor on uptimerobot but I'll post my email notification times as soon as I can;)

Ah, alright no worries then. :)

• @klikli said: can you please look into this

Well, when I ping your VPS from home, it missed the 1st 8 packets, then not another after that, as if your nic was asleep. I adjusted the broadcast storm control setting in the switches, maybe they were blocking the arp packets?