Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[RIDICULOUS] OVH's 2013 lineup - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[RIDICULOUS] OVH's 2013 lineup

Comments

• @zhuanyi said: Why I am always the bad luck one? :(

Lol. The last time I tried getting a better than Celeron cpu, it took 5 tries. In the end though, can't even tell the performance difference.

• @zhuanyi said: They do and if you use the server for legal purposes, I don't see why you can't show them your ID.

He's a HF member, so you can see his dilemma.

Incidentally, I haven't been asked for any sort of ID.

• i dont think i'll ever go back to OVH after datashack/dacentec/hetzner

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited November 2012

@fly said: i dont think i'll ever go back to OVH after datashack/dacentec/hetzner

And any of those hosts offer a Dual core Atom, 2 gigs RAM, 5 TB Bandwidth and a nice 500 gig hard drive for $13 a month?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@NateN34 said: And any of those hosts offer a Dual core Atom, 2 gigs RAM, 5 TB Bandwidth and a nice 500 gig hard drive for $13 a month?

Yep, and datashack/dacentec aren't in Europe, and Hetzner's lowend offers suck.

Okay so anyone who already got one, can you check if the 5 TB transfer limit is calculated from incoming+outgoing or maybe some one direction only? Because in French it says "5 TB out", with no other suggestions by google translate :)

• CPU model : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2659.953 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1989 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 1:04,
    Download speed : (11.3MB/s)
    I/O speed : 118MB/s

Is this any good?

• @ztec said: CPU model : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz

Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 2659.953 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1989 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 1:04,
    Download speed : (11.3MB/s)
    I/O speed : 118MB/s

Is this any good?

Depends on what you need it for. The disk I/O is good, but not so much the CPU.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+2.66GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+N2800+@+1.86GHz

• I actually hoped for a decent CPU but as I can see now, I didn't get it. Too bad.
    Let's see what this box can handle though.

• @Gary said: He's a HF member, so you can see his dilemma.

I was hoping he will do what he said, stay away from the evil, but I guess turns out I was the naive one :)

• got mine... not much lucky...

ordered via paypal, sent papers and receipt of credit card (i dont know if its ok or bad to send cc receipt)

CPU model : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz
    Number of cores : 2

couldnt figure out how to find the harddisk model :/

i will install torrent, i think there is not much restrictions besides irc ...

edited November 2012

@tridinebandim said: there is not much restrictions besides irc ...

I don't think there is a restriction on IRC, but you might have to go into the Manager and manually open ports for it.

@rm_ said: anyone who already got one, can you check if the 5 TB transfer limit is calculated from incoming+outgoing or maybe some one direction only?

^^^ so can anyone answer this? Basically find where you have the bandwidth counter, "xx of 5 TB bandwidth" and check if it increases both when you download and when upload stuff, or not.

• @tridinebandim said: couldnt figure out how to find the harddisk model :/

hdparm -i /dev/sda

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited November 2012

thanks @rds100, i just started to reinstall os ( just for security :p ),

i just learned that its not like a ovz reinstall :)

ill try when it gets ready.

btw how much it takes to reinstall? :) (do they install manually?, i can access to server..)

• @rm_

At the minute all I can find is on the Summary page on the manager

Bandwidth / Traffic 
    Network Connection:     100Mbps
    Monthly traffic:    5.00 TiB per month
    Reinitialisation:   
    Consumed this month:    
    Remaining this month: 

Then on the traffic page it has both current,average and maximum entry and exit but it does not list a total that I can see.

• @tridinebandim said: btw how much it takes to reinstall? :) (do they install manually?, i can access to server..)

Reinstalls are fairly easy with their panel. Lots of options for basic installations or you can try the vKVM and load a ISO via URL. Basically just a few clicks and you're done for the most part.

edited November 2012

Consumed this month:
    Remaining this month:

Well it supposed to list totals here. Maybe they still don't have accounting in place, like on the Micro VKSes :) Thanks.

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited November 2012

should i reboot the server to start install?

its stuck at "Reinstallation initialization "

edit: started to roll... :) (dont you love it when noobs come in a rush and ask every single thing :) )

• Yeah, I've been getting that this morning too. Probably just an issue on their side. Normally that part lasts maybe 2 minutes and the whole install of debian6 in 20 minutes.

• Where do you get these prices in dollars? If I go on OVH.com they are in Euro (which is about 88$ for the SP 2 instead of 69,99$. They are also available in Beauharnois, QC, Canada :D (which is about 100 km from where I live)

• Do they really require you to send a scan of your ID via email? Isn't there an option to upload it via HTTPS or something?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: I also noticed that a couple of days ago, or maybe even 3. London remains blank.
    M

Update London url in your bench script to:

linodeuk=$( wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.london.linode.com/100MB-london.bin 2>&1 |  
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited November 2012

Win I guess.

model name  : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz
    Model=Hitachi HDS721050DLE630
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.22291 s, 131 MB/s

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said: Do they really require you to send a scan of your ID via email? Isn't there an option to upload it via HTTPS or something?

A few years ago I tried to get something from them, that was the procedure.
    Looks like it didnt change much :P
    Maybe will need to send you via snail mail in the future.
    M

• @Maounique said: Maybe will need to send you via snail mail in the future.

It's not mine anyway, i would probably need to send my boss's ID since his name is on the company credit card :) But still sending such documents over emails sounds stupid.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@rds100 said: But still sending such documents over emails sounds stupid.

It is stupid period. I can fake any name and address, this is like you have shop and you put at the door a requirement to enter to give your SSN while nobody cross-checks if it is yours or not. Will put off legit ppl while thieves will have no problem with that.
    M

• I blurred out basically anything that wasn't my name+address on my documents that I sent over. Went over fine with them.

• @tridinebandim I didn't see that you replied to me. You were accepted instantly. You don't need to send them anything. You probably already figured this out, though :p

• thanks for reply @lzp :)

i got in touch with support about vat, they wanted me to sign a document and send a bill that has my name and address on it, and said they are waiting this documents to go
    further and set the server. in 1-2 hours after document sent, they set the server.

it was a nice experience: french site, dedicated server ordering ... :)

@tridinebandim said: it was a nice experience: french site, dedicated server ordering ... :)

The most interesting experience I had was when I was ordering a VPS from CityNetHost (Egypt), felt like an international terrorist or something, entering my credit card details at the "Bank of Misr" website, with a logo in Arabic script. :)

• Can anyone order this, or do I have to be EU/UK/US citizen?