Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

EDIS colocates Raspberry Pi for free?

EDIS colocates Raspberry Pi for free?

CoolMoonCoolMoon Member
edited October 2012 in General

A list of VPS Providers with their Data Center information: vpsdb.net

Comments

• LiamLiam Retired Staff
    edited October 2012

Yes it's true.

Retired LowEndBox & LowEndTalk staff.
  • Is it only available in Austria?

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • Available freely worldwide, I believe.

-- BOFH

• LiamLiam Retired Staff

@Nexus said: Is it only available in Austria?

Only in their Austrian datacentre, yes.

• @CoolMoon said: Just saw that...is that true? anyone interested?

You have to pay for shipping + USB stick with OS preloaded/IP configured + USB power/data cable.

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! See here for how to get one yourself!
    Have a domain that you have no use for at the moment? Click here to see how you can help! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@CoolMoon said: anyone interested? :)

lol Edis has been offering that for 6+ months or so

President Of Operations/CEO/CFO/CTO/COO of my account

• @Liam said: Only in their Austrian datacentre, yes.

Damn :( Lost hope

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • Yea, and it is still offered :)

Opinions/Posts are to be assumed my own/personal and not company related unless obvious - Content is protected by free speech laws in the US (where LET is hosted) and Austria (where i live). I am currently not working @ EDIS due to health issues.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

What's the specs for transfer, then? As I recall, the Pi is hard-pressed to do more than 10 mbit/sec, so do they give 3000 gb/month?

(edit) Nevermind, read the article, dummy. Sigh.... (/edit)

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • Still waiting my Raspberry Pi to arrive - ordered in June and still nothing much here yet!

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

• @Damian said: What's the specs for transfer, then? As I recall, the Pi is hard-pressed to do more than 10 mbit/sec, so do they give 3000 gb/month?

100Mbit shared / 100Gb Traffic :)

Opinions/Posts are to be assumed my own/personal and not company related unless obvious - Content is protected by free speech laws in the US (where LET is hosted) and Austria (where i live). I am currently not working @ EDIS due to health issues.

• I meant you can order from wherever, it wasn't restricted to .at citizens.

But yeah, only available in the .at DC.

-- BOFH

• @William can we also order a RPi and let it ship to the datacenter?

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited October 2012

@joodle said: @William can we also order a RPi and let it ship to the datacenter?

I'm sure they would do that. You shouldn't forget: You also have to include a SD-Card/USB-Stick with preconfigured OS+network...

But anyway: Come on... NL -> AT isn't that far away, you can also ship that on your own :)

Anycast DNS => DNS4 or Rage4

• @Amfy said: I'm sure they would do that. You shouldn't forget: You also have to include a SD-Card/USB-Stick with preconfigured OS+network...

But anyway: Come on... NL -> AT isn't that far away, you can also ship that on your own :)

I know, was just a question lol

• @joodle said: @William can we also order a RPi and let it ship to the datacenter?

Yes - You need to HAVE them write EDIS GmbH on them then AND ship an SD card with the preconfigured OS.

• What if the SD card is broken down? I have to ship the unit back and replace one then return it to Austria? Maybe they could sell some system SD cards and some USB flash drives for storage space to cover part of their cost...

A list of VPS Providers with their Data Center information: vpsdb.net

• How would you do a reinstall? Reboot is pretty simple, power off, on.

Offtopic, since when is @Liam administrator? Last time I saw, it said mod?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    http://raymii.org - http://sparklingnetwork.nl - Need a VPS Control Panel? http://z1s.org/ - Need a VPS that doesn't suck? https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=7435ae6b8212
  • @Raymii said: How would you do a reinstall?

You don't...

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! See here for how to get one yourself!
    Have a domain that you have no use for at the moment? Click here to see how you can help! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions
  • LiamLiam Retired Staff

@Raymii said: Last time I saw, it said mod?

I've never been a moderator.

• @CoolMoon said: What if the SD card is broken down? I have to ship the unit back and replace one then return it to Austria?

Yes.

@CoolMoon said: Maybe they could sell some system SD cards and some USB flash drives for storage space to cover part of their cost...

We can't sell storage mediums (for taxing reasons, copyright tax)

How would you do a reinstall? Reboot is pretty simple, power off, on. Reimage.

• is this still offered? Like, forever? Got several without use

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Liam Community Currator?

• @netomx said: is this still offered? Like, forever?

Yes/Yes

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @William said: Yes/Yes

can you give me your address?? :)

• @netomx said: can you give me your address?? :)

You need to order it for the IP data....

• @William said: You need to order it for the IP data....

thank you! Just did that

• LiamLiam Retired Staff
  • pcanpcan Member
    edited October 2012

Has anyone here already put a Raspberry Pi on colocation at EDIS ? Does it work well ?

A limitation of Raspberry Pi is the need to reflash the SD card on a PC when upgrading to the next Raspbian major release, and this does not play well with colocation. Raspbian is the Raspberry Pi Debian port, and is pretty complete. Early Raspbian releases had a buggy driver that was causing packet loss at high CPU; this has been fixed on september Raspbian image. I was waiting for this fix before eventually shipping the board. A colocated Raspberry Pi could be a useful small backup server, to avoid storing data on shared disks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rm_rm_ Member

@pcan said: A limitation of Raspberry Pi is the need to reflash the SD card on a PC when upgrading to the next Raspbian major release

Nope, that's a limitation of Raspbian.

(also I am not sure this is really mandatory, you could probably still do apt-get dist-upgrade + some additional stuff manually).

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@William are there lots of people already who colocated rpi with edis?

• Anyone tried this http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008 ? Looks pretty good as with 1 Ghz the RPi becomes a bit more usable and could be used to host small sites / forums ?

OpenVZ | Los Angeles, California | 8 Cores CPU | 3 GB RAM | 50 GB Disk | 3 TB bandwidth/month | $30/Year | Here !
  • I stupidly forgot to fill in a customs declaration (didn't think I really needed to within the EU), so I think Austrian customs kept mine :-(

• If you are in the EU there shouldn't be customs involved usually.

• I wonder for how long will endure a usb thumb drive or a sdcard...

• RobertRobert Member
    edited October 2012

@rds100 - that's what I thought, but people have since told me I should have still filled in the little green form. Not sure who's right, but it never arrived. So I'm down one RPi, a 32GB SD and a 32GB USB drive :-(

• Nah, I didn't think it was worth it. Never mind! It's been about three months so I don't think it's coming back.

• Well, it if can't be delivered to the recipient for any reason it should be returned to the sender. At least that's how the posts work here. Where are you, in which country?

• LiamLiam Retired Staff

@rds100 maybe he did not have a return address?

@robert tried contacting the austrian postal services/customs?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

@Liam Austrian post will not talk to him. He can only talk to his own postal service that he used to send the parcel (Royal Mail or whatever). So he should be contacting Royal Mail and ask them to investigate what happened with his parcel (assuming he is in England).

• Yeah, I'm in the UK. I doubt I'd get anywhere with the Royal Mail. They either lost it or delivered it to Austria. Either way, I doubt they can find it. It wasn't sent recorded.

• Austrian post... Wonder what they're like @William :P

Hope the issue with the lost pi is resolved, thinking about buying two and colocating one with Edis :)

• I think I put my return address on it, but it's been months now. I think an Austrian customs guy has a new toy :-)

• @Robert or it's heaped ;)

• I'm sure one way or another it was my fault, so don't let it put anyone off Colo'ing their Pi!

• Still you should ask Royal Mail to investigate. At least they can tell you "it was sent to Austria" or "we misplaced it somewhere". Of course they wouldn't admit it, but still... :)

• Maybe.. But without any tracking information, I'm not sure how they'd know one way or the other.

• If you still have the payment receipt or whatever you got when you sent it and paid for it...