Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

What would you like to see @LowEndBox & @LowEndTalk?

What would you like to see @LowEndBox & @LowEndTalk?

LiamLiam Retired Staff
edited October 2012 in General

We maintain this community for you and thus we'd like to know what you would like to see change or improved. Suggestions can be posted below or sent via private message.

Please don't mention the deadpool; this months edition is late ;-)

Retired LowEndBox & LowEndTalk staff.

Comments

• For LEB: Perhaps something like DSLReports' reviews section, leaderboard, awards (gold/silver/bronze) and all?

"We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
  • Official community-driven open source projects (for fun mainly) would be nice to see.

Also an explanation as to when you got rid of the "community curator" tag @Liam ? :P

VPN.sh - Secure and affordable VPN services

• YKMYKM Member

Comparison matrix of providers ?

Thanked by 1averell
  • My biggest deterrent from getting involved at LEB has always been the newest post feature. Sure it shows the last 5-6 posts, but a link to see a longer history would be little effort, and make the likelyhood of my visiting more often.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
    Thanked by 1vedran
  • LET seems fine as it is. About LEB... i don't care much.

• LiamLiam Retired Staff

@ihatetonyy said: For LEB: Perhaps something like DSLReports' reviews section

@YKM said: Comparison matrix of providers ?

We hope to implement reviews in the near future.

@liamwithers said: Official community-driven open source projects (for fun mainly) would be nice to see.

I think we have a few of these like Ministall but we can't really impose this.

@miTgiB said: My biggest deterrent from getting involved at LEB has always been the newest post feature. Sure it shows the last 5-6 posts, but a link to see a longer history would be little effort, and make the likelyhood of my visiting more often.

I'm a little confused about what you're asking. Do you mean on the offer itself?

@rds100 said: About LEB... i don't care much.

Because you don't use it or?

• I know that this is a long shot, but then again it's just a suggestion: With Drupal 7 you could extend the functionality of this website beyond a forum and add support for profiles, social networking among community members, support for more complex content types, internal automation support with rules (http://drupal.org/project/rules) and much more. Of course I don't know how difficult it would be to migrate the data from Vanilla Forums to Drupal. Anyway, it is just a suggestion.

• A working search function in LET would be useful. It will maybe avoid the start of duplicate threads. Google search restricted to the lowendtalk.com domain works, but not anyone know this.

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • wdqwdq Member

Maybe a feature for the blog that allows users to rate VPS providers. Similar to a reviews section on something like Amazon.

• @Liam said: I'm a little confused about what you're asking.

Not much could be clearer, give me the option to see more posts. A link to a longer history would be the easiest solution.

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • LiamLiam Retired Staff

@miTgiB said: Not much could be clearer, give me the option to see more posts. A link to a longer history would be the easiest solution.

I thought you meant the offers! Will definitely look into this!

• Well I'd like to see staff of a LEB host have a "LEB Host" role instead of the default "Member" it shows they are different from the normal users and everyone can know who is who.

Ishaq
    Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • @Liam said: Because you don't use it or?

It's just not interesting for me. LET is a community, and it is nice to be part of the community. LEB is mostly a list of advertisements and i am not interested in these since i am not really into shopping for LEBs.

• I was just thought a free email address like [email protected] / [email protected] :p

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - my blog | Server Uptime status
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • A monthly summary email of offers ranked by popularity, I find that LEB offers move pretty quickly off the front page & I'll miss one that I might want to grab (I've grabbed offers 2-3 months old before that were still active).

Or perhaps a way of showing offers that aren't time sensitive but still active.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • joepie91joepie91 Member
    edited October 2012

@vpsnodebox said: With Drupal 7 you could extend the functionality of this website beyond a forum and add support for profiles, social networking among community members, support for more complex content types, internal automation support with rules (http://drupal.org/project/rules) and much more.

And that would be necessary... why?

If you want a social network, there's Facebook. And MySpace. And VK. And whatever other social network you'd like to use. I don't see why something like LET would have to be bloated with "SOCIAL ALL THE THINGS", unless there is a very good reason for it.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • Maybe we could integrated lowendtalk and lowendbox...

__BitAccel__ - OpenVZ VPS / TUN, PPP 24/7 Support!
  • Ability to edit comments in LEB (like for an hour after posting it) or, if this is not possible, a Preview button so we can double check what we're about to post, before submitting it.

Fusioned | KVM SSD VPS | LSI RAID10 | Netherlands 1Gbps | R1Soft | IPv4 & IPv6 | SolusVM
  • Honestly? I think we should move away from vanilla, I hate it. But then again, it is what makes this place original :P

The late nofications thing I made a topic earlier about is one issue many are having, other than/then that, I agree with @miTgiB

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited October 2012
    1. More wiki tutorials
    2. provider listing and some summary about them. maybe do it in wiki also
  • @George_Fusioned said: a Preview button so we can double check what we're about to post, before submitting it.

Look above your editor toolbar - it's already there :)

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited October 2012

@joepie91 said: Look above your editor toolbar - it's already there :)

Holy sh*t, never noticed that..

@Liam Fixing the BB code tags or changing "You can use Markdown in your post." to you can use HTML.. Newbies are always making formatting mistakes and asking how to post images correctly.

• There should be a better categorization system. If i want to rent a VPS anywhere in Europe, i would have to go through 5 different categories. You should make some sort of generic categories like US west, central, east, Europe and SEA

President Of Operations/CEO/CFO/CTO/COO of my account

• @joepie91 said: Look above your editor toolbar - it's already there :)

Was talking about LEB actually :)

Fusioned | KVM SSD VPS | LSI RAID10 | Netherlands 1Gbps | R1Soft | IPv4 & IPv6 | SolusVM
  • @AsadHaider said: Newbies are always making formatting mistakes and asking how to post images correctly.

Actually, this seems to be a bug in how LET is set up - on another Vanilla installation I've toyed with, the 'Markdown image tags' work fine. Not sure what causes the problem.

• What would I like to see more at LET/LEB? More Girls!

My Blog | - [email protected] - 386-320-9435
  • mujmuj Member

I think you should get another forum software XenForo.

• A serverbear-like sorting system for offers - possibly even integrate ServerBear benchmarks (if possible)

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• a Chat widget or a Shoutcast

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - my blog | Server Uptime status
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • SpiritSpirit Administrator

@ErawanArifNugroho said: a Chat widget or a Shoutcast

just visit us at #lowendbox at irc.freenode.net ;-)

• @SimpleNode said: A serverbear-like sorting system for offers - possibly even integrate ServerBear benchmarks (if possible)

We are more than happy to provide some sort of API for this.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • @serverbear said: We are more than happy to provide some sort of API for this.

Indeed... So offers can include some test or a general search in serverbear for their plans that will yield something like: ranked 5 in the best bang for the buck in BW category for plans costing 1-3 $. Also integration for searching, serverbear could make a synthetic index considering BW, IOPS, cost, some bench all having a certain % from the ranking and make a general ranking. There will be some problems, of course, but i consider the compromise acceptable. M

I am only representing myself :)

• There used to be a very nice page - hostingwizard.net that had such comparison of different metrics for VPSes, unfortunately the guy that owned it disappeared and the page no longer works.

• I think LEB/LET should have a synthetic index of sorts. For example: 1. Time since the first offer by the provider; 2. A caracteristics/$ ratio taking into consideration all features (space, bw, virtualization) adjusted for ssd/non-ssd and location. For example asian hosts will get more points per bw and KVM/Xen more points than OVZ; 3. Official raking at the last quarterly poll; 4. A synthetic serverbear like ranking taking into consideration at least 3 major tests (bw, IOPS, unixbench for example).

If intelligently tweaked, it might very well offer a clear picture of the plan's worth. However, I doubt this can be implemented. M

• @Maounique said: If intelligently tweaked, it might very well offer a clear picture of the plan's worth. However, I doubt this can be implemented.

We implemented something similar the other day called BearRank for plans, basically it takes the % value of UnixBench, Disk IO, Bandwidth, Amount of HDD Space & Amount of RAM then turns it into a score out of 100%. Not perfect but gives a good indication :)

• @serverbear said: We implemented something similar the other day called BearRank for plans, basically it takes the % value of UnixBench, Disk IO, Bandwidth, Amount of HDD Space & Amount of RAM then turns it into a score out of 100%. Not perfect but gives a good indication :)

Wow ! It should also include the price since that is incredibly important, make a full ranking :) Sure, wont be perfect, as ppl are still cheating, but as the site gets more popular, there will be more and more real world tests, not special servers "tested" by the providers. Another criteria should be the number of tests already done for the same plans. M

• LiamLiam Retired Staff

@vpsnodebox said: I know that this is a long shot, but then again it's just a suggestion: With Drupal 7 you could extend the functionality of this website beyond a forum and add support for profiles, social networking among community members, support for more complex content types, internal automation support with rules (http://drupal.org/project/rules) and much more. Of course I don't know how difficult it would be to migrate the data from Vanilla Forums to Drupal. Anyway, it is just a suggestion.

We have a forum being built.

@Ishaq said: Well I'd like to see staff of a LEB host have a "LEB Host" role instead of the default "Member" it shows they are different from the normal users and everyone can know who is who.

This is not needed.

@rds100 said: It's just not interesting for me. LET is a community, and it is nice to be part of the community. LEB is mostly a list of advertisements and i am not interested in these since i am not really into shopping for LEBs.

So would you like to see other content on their?

@ErawanArifNugroho said: I was just thought a free email address like [email protected] / [email protected] :p

I do not see the point of this. There are plenty of free email providers and a domain costs 5-10$

@serverbear said: A monthly summary email of offers ranked by popularity, I find that LEB offers move pretty quickly off the front page & I'll miss one that I might want to grab (I've grabbed offers 2-3 months old before that were still active).

Or perhaps a way of showing offers that aren't time sensitive but still active.

I think it's quite easy to check back a few pages but we'll think about this.

@jcaleb said: More wiki tutorials provider listing and some summary about them. maybe do it in wiki also

Will you write any?

@gsrdgrdghd said: There should be a better categorization system. If i want to rent a VPS anywhere in Europe, i would have to go through 5 different categories. You should make some sort of generic categories like US west, central, east, Europe and SEA

True. Hence why we recently introduced the 'Asia' tag. I will explore this further.

@SimpleNode said: A serverbear-like sorting system for offers - possibly even integrate ServerBear benchmarks (if possible)

I think it works well how it currently is. As the old saying goes "If it aint broke don't fix it".

• @Liam said: So would you like to see other content on their?

Yes! Now basicly i only read the deadpool posts. And some (very few) of the offers. It would be nice if there was other interesting content to read.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Liam said: Will you write any?

ok, yes i will.

• A Top X chart showing offline times of a given node...or should that be a suggestion for webhostingfail @zen? (re: Avante thread)

"Go cheap on rarely used things"

• RandyRandy Disabled

a section for Providers to post updates, but doesn't show up on the main page of lowend talk to annoy users