Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

GoDaddy's new patent

GoDaddy's new patent

LiamLiam Retired Staff
edited September 2012 in General

http://domainnamewire.com/2012/09/25/go-daddy-patents-announcing-a-domain-name-registration-on-a-social-website/

Today the United States Patent and Trademark office granted the domain name registrar a patent for “announcing a domain name registration on a social website”.

Seems crazy.

Retired LowEndBox & LowEndTalk staff.
Tagged:

Comments

• @liam said: Seems crazy.

And a waste of money.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited September 2012

Yep, that's definitely an invention... Just like rounded corners.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LiamLiam Retired Staff

I wonder if i tweeted "I have just registered adomain.com" if I would be sued.

• That's great but I just patented "declaring" the same thing.

jarland.me | Read about my new hosting experiment.

• @liam said: I would be sued

As a US registrar i'm pretty sure you would :)

• Lets be honest though, the name makes it sound more crazy than it is. The patent details are actually pretty specific and you'd pretty much have to try to be in violation of copying it. It's an application that does this, not the general idea of doing it.

Still a useless patent but easily over stated.

• Gotta love GoDaddy... and the US Patent Office.

• What are their points?

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

• @liam said: announcing a domain name registration on a social website

Wordpress.com has been doing this for a while. Hm.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • ajitajit Member
    edited September 2012

A forum is a social website. Too many prior art/examples.

• Not sure how to even respond to this.

Offering The Best In VPS, Dedicated and Shared Hosting: Fliphost.net
  • If someone will contest the patent, will probably be revoked. Question is, why would there be a need for that, the patent should have not been accepted in the first place. US patents are lawyers paradise, like everything else, for that matter... M

I am only representing myself :)

• jarlandjarland Member
    edited September 2012

Not sure why this patent would bother anyone. If they want to patent this, needlessly, just more revenue taken from GoDaddy's pockets.

This is pretty specific and one doesn't need to work too hard to figure out how to not violate this patent: Start > Partner to publish announcement of registered domain name and link to hosted website > Display control panel including obtaining permission and delay period settings for announcement and link > Publish announcement of domain name and link after expiration of delay period > Monitor traffic generated by announcement and link > Recommend a product for increasing traffic > End.

Seems to me one would have to try to steal this "idea" in order to be caught doing so.

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited September 2012

GoDaddy might threaten with a lenghty and costly process, "incentive" enough to chill any startup. It is not the litigation per se which brings the money, it is the threats and "settlements" that do. M

• jarlandjarland Member
    edited September 2012

@Maounique said: enough to chill any startup.

From doing what? That specific process? Only the title seems so generic and vague. The actual content is extremely specific. Would be hilarious if they tried to fight someone for what the title itself implies.

• "I told you so" etc

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• @Maounique said: GoDaddy might threaten with a lenghty and costly process

Nah.. it won't threaten me.. i'll register that domain with godaddy to become loyal customer... :) Or will then godaddy hold my domain also at ransom? 0_0

• Today the United States Patent and Trademark office granted the domain name registrar a patent for “announcing a domain name registration on a social website”.

Retards all over the place.

-- BOFH

• GoDaddy is not competitive as a web hosting provider anymore. Their shared hosting is garbage because they are running 32bit Linux on 48GB servers, and each customer gets a mere 64MB PHP memory with no APC or EAccelerator enabled amongst other things. It also takes forever to have your account setup. This is the 21st century, wake up! Then their VPS are run on OpenVZ nodes that are committed. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with OpenVZ by any means (it's most likely the virtualization platform with the least amount of overhead), but it's bad how GoDaddy is selling VPS servers. Never mind their support system, or the lack of it. You want something, you gotta call them, and then instead of helping you they will want to sell you some kind of upgrades that you don't need, but they are clueless about the basics.

I see GoDaddy slowly sliding out of the hosting business and sticking with domain registrations only and maybe some shared hosting. It's actually not a bad thing that they are marching in the direction that they are, because considering the pile of cache that they're sitting on if they would wise up and quit throwing money away on those obnoxious ads, they could become very competitive in a very short time. Then again, large companies are hard to restructure, so what ever. I don't care much for them. Just my 2 cents.

• I don't like godaddy, animal killer ceo..

• @vpsnodebox They're sitting on a pile of cache... >_>

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• @SimpleNode no pun intended ... :P

Honestly, I think it is my inner geek thinking outloud, if you know what I mean :D

• C'mon when Super Bowl come this year all the Go Daddy Tits will be all over the place we will not be talking about this will be talking about Tits.... Continue!

https://www.simplydigitalhosting.com/ We are the 1st Virtualmin web host to be using PHP-FPM for efficient PHP websites! Shared Hosting, Un-managed VPS, Managed VPS, Minecraft VPS, Dedicated Servers all with excellent support

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LiamLiam Retired Staff

@DewlanceVPS said: I don't like godaddy, animal killer ceo..

first sensible thing you've said.

Thanked by 1DanielM
  • Catalyst has an animal killer on staff too :P

Gotta kill it before you can cook it!

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @DewlanceVPS said: I don't like godaddy, animal killer ceo..

Meh, i hunt Deer also, does not make me a bad person.

Opinions/Posts are to be assumed my own/personal and not company related unless obvious - Content is protected by free speech laws in the US (where LET is hosted) and Austria (where i live). I am currently not working @ EDIS due to health issues.

Thanked by 3jarland Taz netomx
  • LiamLiam Retired Staff

@William said: Meh, i hunt Deer also, does not make me a bad person.

I wonder if there is a correlation between you obtaining a gun licence and the decrease in deer in europe.

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited September 2012

Come to Romania and hunt the bears. I am afraid to go to the forest for a few years. Serverbear too is invited. M

• Here it is forbidden to hunt the bears - protected species...

• LiamLiam Retired Staff

@rds100 said: Here it is forbidden to hunt the bears - protected species...

All our bears got killed a few hundred years ago except Goldilocks.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2012
  • @rds100 Didn't know it is forbiden to hunt bears. A friend of myne recently killed a bear with his hunting buddies, however it was extremely close to a village and as far as I got told, the bear actually killed some animals or something like this.

• TazTaz Disabled

@DewlanceVPS So he killed elephant and now he is a bad person? Yet you kill chicken and cows and goats and fishes and so many other craps on a daily basis and yet you are a good person? Serious Logic BRAH!

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• jarlandjarland Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: So he killed elephant and now he is a bad person? Yet you kill chicken and cows and goats and fishes and so many other craps on a daily basis and yet you are a good person? Serious Logic BRAH!

Well, in all fairness, I think the distinction was killing for sport vs killing for food.

Love me some deer jerky...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • TazTaz Disabled

@jarland said: Well, in all fairness, I think the distinction was killing for sport vs killing for food.

Hmm, why? You do not need to kill animal for food, turn vegetarian then? And that elephant meat was used to feed those poor Zimbabwean villagers. And your point is?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: turn vegetarian then

While you are at it you can also stop breathing since you are exhaling CO2 which is a well known pollutant ;-)

• ZenZen Member
    edited September 2012

@jarland said: Well, in all fairness, I think the distinction was killing for sport vs killing for food.

Quite clearly says in the video that he was killing it to aide the local villagers who were being effected by the elephant(s). Not that this makes it okay, but in my mind and many others it is more than okay. Shit happens, this is just an example of people getting all caught up over 1st world bullshit.

Transparency: I work for Nodisto and all subsequent businesses: Backupsy, VPSDime, Winity, Cloudive, and DotVPS. My opinions represented through posts on this forum are mine and not the opinions of these businesses unless explicitly stated otherwise.
    Thanked by 1Taz
  • joepie91joepie91 Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Hmm, why? You do not need to kill animal for food, turn vegetarian then?

Okay. First off, if you do not want animals to be killed for consumption, you are looking at veganism and not vegetarianism. Second off, if you believe animals should not be killed for consumption, please have a look at the following picture (ignore Milk and Manure, they do not require killing):

Please hand in every product you have in your house that fits any of the above criteria - if you don't, I can only conclude hypocrisy.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• TazTaz Disabled

@joepie91 said: Okay. First off, if you do not want animals to be killed for consumption, you are looking at veganism and not vegetarianism. Second off, if you believe animals should not be killed for consumption, please have a look at the following picture:

Dude I am meat lover and never complain about my food. I think you haven't read my full rant.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk Again, you are on a Roll...!

• jarlandjarland Member
    edited September 2012

@Zen said: Quite clearly says in the video that he was killing it to aide the local villagers who were being effected by the elephant(s).

I actually hadn't watched the video, just saw some of the random commentary about it on the internet. It never really sparked a passion in me to care about it to be perfectly honest. Good to know though.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: You do not need to kill animal for food

My lunch disagrees! Vegan is code for bag with which one douches.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Dude I am meat lover and never complain about my food. I think you haven't read my full rant.

The rest of your rant isn't really relevant. You point out that there should be no distinction for food vs sport - yet, if one were not to eat meat, that wouldn't actually improve the situation because of all the other things that contain parts of animals (some of which are essential to society at this point in time). If one were to not shoot animals for sport, it WOULD improve the situation. That is where the distinction lies.

• TazTaz Disabled

@jarland said: My lunch disagrees! Vegan is code for bag with which one douches.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: You do not need to kill animal for food, turn vegetarian then?

• lol @joepie91 ...definitely just posted that picture on facebook. Gonna get so many haters. Early start on my afternoon entertainment.

• @ninja_hawk: daily khane me elephant khata hai kya be?

• It's just people who live in first world countries outraged over something taken out of context which happened in a county where you don't have the luxury.

I've seen an Elephant electrocuted to the point of near death and then carted away in a truck because it escaped the segmented area at a circus/festival. But that's perfectly fine, because it was in danger of harming all of us humans!

So what's different? They shot, killed, and then distributed the elephant among the villagers, gave the villagers free clothing, and then left. All of this because from their understanding the villagers where being heavily effected by Elephant overpopulation destroying crops and homes.

When you compare the two, the first one seems much more like animal cruelty and idiocy, the second one seems like a logical choice for people who do not have the resources to go about it any other way.

Transparency: I work for Nodisto and all subsequent businesses: Backupsy, VPSDime, Winity, Cloudive, and DotVPS. My opinions represented through posts on this forum are mine and not the opinions of these businesses unless explicitly stated otherwise.
    Thanked by 1jarland
  • TazTaz Disabled
    edited September 2012

@DewlanceVPS said: @ninja_hawk: daily khane me elephant khata hai kya be?

Pardon me? Can you translate your language?

Edit: Or may be type in your language so I can at least use google?

@Pats a bit help here budddy.