Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Billing Software: OpenBill - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Billing Software: OpenBill

Comments

• @joepie91 as i keep saying the ioncube is not there to stop the scum, it is there to keep the honest people honest.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@24khost said: @joepie91 as i keep saying the ioncube is not there to stop the scum, it is there to keep the honest people honest.

How exactly does Ioncube "keep honest people honest"?

• cause honest people slip, they run into money problems. They start looking for ways to cut costs. One of peoples biggest costs is licensing. People are honest in general until problems hit, then they look for ways to get around those problems.

@24khost said: cause honest people slip, they run into money problems. They start looking for ways to cut costs. One of peoples biggest costs is licensing. People are honest in general until problems hit, then they look for ways to get around those problems.

And Ioncube solves that problem how?

• Buting58Buting58 Member
    edited September 2012

@jhadley said: If I were to raise the early adopter discount to 50% would that make it affordable/worthwhile to you, or would it still be too much?

50% would be great, but I really wish you would lose encoding and the developer license. The encoding is the other thing that's holding me back!

• It keeps them from going in themselves and ripping out the licensing code.

@24khost said: It keeps them from going in themselves and ripping out the licensing code.

And you think nulled versions won't surface when you use Ioncube?

Thanked by 1MuZo
  • @NickBudi said: 50% would be great, but I really wish you would lose encoding and the developer license. The encoding is the other thing that's holding me back!

Ok I've raised the EAD to 50% but those licence options are staying, for now at least ;)

Thanked by 1Buting58
  • @joepie91 yes, but like i said it is not to protect against scum it is to keep the honest man honest.

• Buting58Buting58 Member
    edited September 2012

@24khost said: @joepie91 yes, but like i said it is not to protect against scum it is to keep the honest man honest.

IMO encoding to keep the honest man honest is not worth doing (and doesn't really work).

@24khost said: @joepie91 yes, but like i said it is not to protect against scum it is to keep the honest man honest.

Uhm. I ask you for elaboration about "keeping honest people honest", you say you mean people that can't pay for a license anymore and would otherwise null the software (remove the license checker). I tell you that that will happen anyway, even if it's Ioncubed, and you come back with the same argument about "keeping honest people honest" that I disproved 2 posts ago. Are you just not understanding what I mean, or is something else going on?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

too expensive :( and I wanted the ful source code to implement internet invoice system

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If you make the invoicing templates transalteable (to be able to get translated to other languages) I will buy for sure.

• @netomx it comes withan Internet invoice system

@Alex_Liquidhost Ill get on that, thanks

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@jhadley said: @Alex_Liquidhost Ill get on that, thanks

This sounds great. As the whole thing is too long to read, are tehre any setup monthly / yearly / owned prices? And do you have an ETA on finishing it up

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: This sounds great. As the whole thing is too long to read, are tehre any setup monthly / yearly / owned prices?

www.openbill.co.uk has the details

@Alex_LiquidHost said: And do you have an ETA on finishing it up

The initial release should be on 01/10 when a 50% discount will be available. The next release should be on 01/11 when the discount will stop.

@netomx said: and I wanted the ful source code to implement internet invoice system

@NickBudi said: but I really wish you would lose encoding and the developer license. The encoding is the other thing that's holding me back!

@Zen said: encoding is not needed IMO

@NickBudi said: I too am not a fan of dealing with encoded files.

@telephone said: Obfuscated code to me is worse than a hosted solution.

@Chief said: Personally I think you need to drop this idea of "encoding" it altogether, you're doing nothing but making it more difficult for your legitimate customers to use and customise the product.

@MikHo said: You also bring up that one of the reasons you do your own is that you dont see the source code. Yet you are thinking of encrypt/encode your own?

@rds100 said: Even if encrypted, people who want to steal it will steal it. So think of some other ways to collect your payments.

@jhadley: if you plan on listening to potential customers, I think this would be pretty good place to start.

• @joepie91 I guess I can't explain it very well. It is just the way I look at it.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@joepie91 said: if you plan on listening to potential customers, I think this would be pretty good place to start.

The source code is available at £100 with the discount, which is what I was planning to release the source code for, even when I was considering just an open-source version. I've just added more options for people who want something cheaper.

That's the way I look at it anyway.

• I still don't get what you're selling or trying to sell.

• @LAKid said: I still don't get what you're selling or trying to sell.

Nothing yet - this is just gathering feedback. Once it's available I'll be selling licenses for OpenBill, a piece of software to enable freelancers to track time and invoice clients, and for their clients to pay online.

• @jhadley So... you're just talking?

edited September 2012

@jhadley said: The source code is available at £100 with the discount, which is what I was planning to release the source code for, even when I was considering just an open-source version. I've just added more options for people who want something cheaper.

I fail to see how it makes sense to make the encrypted version cheaper than the source-readable version.

EDIT: I am assuming the prices on your site are still current.

• @LAKid said: So... you're just talking?

At the moment, yes. I'll probably open another thread when it's done for anyone who wants to actually buy a copy.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2012

@joepie91 said: I fail to see how it makes sense to make the encrypted version cheaper than the source-readable version.

You're right in a way that those with an 'owned' licence probably ought to have the source, but then £59 for the full source seems very cheap...

Honestly I think the current structure is fine. I think I'll try it and see how things go - changes can be made later if necessary. I'm more concerned with the product itself than the pricing at the moment anyway.

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited September 2012

I don't see what's the big deal here, if you want invoicing system, grab one open-source shopping cart, modify a bit to your own invoicing stuff, unlimited plan, all kinds of payment gateway, flexible invoice template of your own...even copy WHMCS a bit, make it look-legit, of course no API to solus or to provisioning vps, etc.
    Also, you can even translate it into about 30 languages by putting their flags on it.

@jhadley said: You're right in a way that those with an 'owned' licence probably ought to have the source, but then £59 for the full source seems very cheap...

I'm not sure what readable source has to do with price, or how it can seem 'very cheap for full source'. If your license only allows modifications for personal use and such, and does not allow redistribution of forked versions, where is the problem? How does ability to modify the source for personal use in any way warrant a higher cost?

By billing people for the ability to read and modify the source, you are billing them twice as much or so, for something that did not cost you any extra effort to start with. You are essentially intentionally crippling the cheaper version. I don't consider that fair by any standards.

@jhadley said: Honestly I think the current structure is fine.

It seems your potential customers disagree.

@jhadley said: I think I'll try it and see how things go - changes can be made later if necessary. I'm more concerned with the product itself than the pricing at the moment anyway.

In that case, I'd advise forgetting about the pricing structure entirely for now, and only start considering it when you are about to release the first version.

• Really, really like this and will give a heads up to a few clients that are on the hunt for a simple invoice system.

Couldn't tell from the webcast if it was implemented but the option of adding different invoice 'types' would be handy. Similarly the ability of attaching costing to an invoice 'type' would again be useful ie - Select 'design' and it'll automatically add the unit price.

Not essential but a link against each client on the client page to create an invoice would save peeing around with the 'Invoice For' box (looked like a nasty bug with Bootstrap).
    Again, not essential but the ability to select a number of clients and then generate the same invoice for each would be extremely useful.

Also will there be a module payment integration?

Keep it up though, certainly looks impressive.

• Thanks @Dom!

Types already exist, though there is no default pricing. I'll look at adding this to the next release subject to demand.

Good ideas about adding (multiple) invoices from the client page. Ill add it initially then add the functionality to do it for several clients at once in the next release.

PayPal will definitely and 2CO will hopefully feature as of the initial release.

• Another quick thought - ability to search for clients on the client page and list client(s) that match accordingly. Would save some arse-ache to those that have large client lists.
    And similarly with invoices, would be useful to search for a particular invoice based on ID, client name/email address etc etc.

On another note, i think the checkbox and 'actions' drop-down on the invoice page should be on the same side as it would save the user having to scroll around.

Also, will there be the option of scheduling payment reminders? I know this could end up being a bit 'spammy' for the client but it'd save having to do it manually.
    And once invoices are paid, are they permanently 'locked' prevent further modifications?
    And will there be user accounts for the admin side of things? Or is it just once account?