Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them?

Comments

• What else do you expect for $50, and >100 mbit unmetered?

I don't think they can recoup costs even if it's pure Cogent.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@Wintereise said: I don't think they can recoup costs even if it's pure Cogent.

Nonsense. There's no reason 15 racks can't be run on one line and 3 extension cords carefully run from the office next door.

What? Quality? Not sure what that is.

Thanked by 2Wintereise netomx
  • Lolol, fair enough :P

• Anyone in the US mind ringing them up and see if they're answering? I'm trying to ring them via iCall (free service) so I'm not sure if they're not answering because it's some sort of weird number...

• Commercialmedia.com is AS11288 (bgp.he.net/AS11288)

There is a lively thread on WHT that mentions the AS and positive/negative comments from new customers.

Nothing there suggests another Volumedrive. Every traceroute I tried yesterday went through a 65.113.48.x hop that seemed to be a metro (maybe Comcast) connection. Comcast business in DC/Baltimore offers up to 10 gbps with BGP and aggressively prices (in my limited experience) when other fiber is nearby. I'm not saying this outfit has 10 gpbs, only that bandwidth has probably gotten cheaper in their neighborhood.

• Could you link to that thread?

• @Wintereise

www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1188269

I need more comfort than price here. Most of the text on their site is a copy and paste from Rackspace, no SSL on WHMCS, and I don't think anybody has spoken to someone that wasn't 'Mike'

If that was a shared or VPS provider, I'd be thinking bedroom host.

• They are not picking up the phone right now :(

Or just ignoring me, which I will be very mad.

• Yay got an email from Jeff Martin (Data Center Operations Manager) saying he is setting up my server right now. Very polite, just asking what type of RAID config I'd like the drives to be in. Anyone else got an update?

• Has been 4 days almost, still waiting for a reply for my initial inquiry.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk Seriously? Send an email to mike.jones@..... He's been emailing me back pretty quickly.

I'm getting pretty terrible pings to their test IP from the UK, which is weird. So I probably won't be ordering anything.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk yeah I noticed that contacting mike directly gets you a reply fast. Otherwise things are slooooooow. My initial inquiry was sent the same day as yours and replied to in around 20 mins.

• @AsadHaider @jkr1711 Thanks. I will most likely get a box for some script mirroring. Only if they replies to their initial sales email :P

• Server set up! I'll do a cachefly and dd test in a second :)

• Cachefly test
    wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-09-27 15:41:54-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: â100mb.testâ

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 11.1M/s in 9.7s

2012-09-27 15:42:04 (10.4 MB/s) - â100mb.testâ

DD Test
    dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.18762 s, 149 MB/s

Got what I expected to be honest, pleasantly suprised for a change

• TazTaz Member
    edited September 2012

Raid 10 ? SW/HW?

• RAID 1, currently just got 2 drives

• @jkr1711 said: RAID 1, currently just got 2 drives

Not bad. Software raid?

• Yeah software raid, using debian 6 (squeeze)

• qwest lolwat

• SERVERBEAR MAYBE :D

• Yeeesss.... (we) need a ServerBear!

• @Taz_NinjaHawk I think you can take the honours of doing the serverbearing round here, I got some software to be setting up ;)

• @jkr1711 said: I think you can take the honours of doing the serverbearing round here, I got some software to be setting up ;)

Once they get back to me :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

How fast did you get the server?

• @Alex_LiquidHost Made an enquiry on Sunday, got first reply on Sunday and paid on Sunday. Got placed in a queue, server was delivered on Wednesday. They racked other people earlier this morning, around 30 mins ago server was put online. So 4 days it took which is acceptable for the price

@jkr1711 said: @Alex_LiquidHost Made an enquiry on Sunday, got first reply on Sunday and paid on Sunday. Got placed in a queue, server was delivered on Wednesday. They racked other people earlier this morning, around 30 mins ago server was put online. So 4 days it took which is acceptable for the price

Just wrote Mike an email. I could use a couple of dev nodes of those 34xx xeon's.

Damn, they will deliver it in 2 weeks.

• When I visit them on wednesday I will be able to see if they are truly busy or not :p

• @Spencer Do you get to meet Mike Jones?