Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them?

Commercialmedia? Anyone used them?

jkr1711jkr1711 Member
edited September 2012 in General

Was browsing through WHT a few days ago and saw a thread about commercialmedia, I'd never heard of them before and noticed that their site was pretty...useless. There was barely any info and no pricing/ordering pages but I was looking for a fairly low budget unmetered east coast server so I emailed them. Got a good price off Mike Jones (who seems to be the only person I ever talk to?) so I bit the bullet and ordered the server. It's due to be online by Thursday so whilst I've been waiting, I've been looking for reviews about them online but I got absolutely nowhere, not a trace (despite the domain being registered in 1998 and not due to expire until 2018...). So to put it short, has anyone used them before? I'd just like to know what to expect from them in a couple of days

Comments

• They contacted me as well. Talked themselves up to be a big deal and then gave me a deal that makes Datashack look like LiquidWeb. That worries me.

• TazTaz Disabled

You will never know until you have tried your self. Since it has already been paid of, have fun!

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• This is the email I got from them:

"Hello John,

Nice to meet you and thanks for your email and I have pricing details on our most recent offer.

These are two configurations that we are currently offering.

CPU: Dual 2 x 5420’s; 16 GB RAM; 1 x TB HDD or 128 SSD Samsung; 100 Mbps Unmetered; /29 for $50.00 per month (minimum 2 server commitment). CPU: Intel E3-1230 ; 16 GB RAM; 1 x TB HDD or 128 SSD Samsung; 100 Mbps Unmetered; /29 for $60.00 per month (minimum 2 server commitment).

Let me know if you are interested or ready to move forward with any of the configurations above. I’ll send you a sale order confirmation and we can put your servers in the set up queue.

Our Option Items are Below:

Upgrade from 1 TB HDD 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD – $15.00 per month

Add secondary 1 TB HDD - $15 per month

Add secondary 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD – $20.00 per month

Upgrade from 16 GB DDR3 to 32 GB DDR3 ECC Memory - $20.00

R1Soft Enterprise Agent – $350 (one time)

R1Soft Enterprise SQL Agent – $25 per month

Cisco 10/100 48 port layer 3 switch - $25 per month

Upgrade to 1Gbps port - $20 per month @ 5000GB monthly transfer

Upgrade to 4 port 0/1/10 hardware raid controller –$25 per month

Upgrade to 4 port 0/1/5/6/10 hardware raid controller – $40 per month

Upgrade to 1TB 7200RPM SAS - $20 per month

Add secondary 1TB 7200RPM SAS - $30 per month

Upgrade to 2TB 7200RPM SAS - $20 per month

Add secondary 2TB 7200RPM SAS - $40 per month

Upgrade to 3TB 7200RPM SAS - $60 per month

Add secondary 3TB 7200RPM SAS - 500GB 7200RPM SAS - $70 per month

Thanks,

Mike"

Customized the server a bit but that pricing is certainly tasty. Fingers crossed that they're good

• TazTaz Disabled

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @Taz_NinjaHawk Yeah that's their site

• Rather cheap.

• Post that one "Fuck you, Baltimore!" video here.

Yeah, that site looks too simplistic.

Shane Elmore | Programmer In Progress

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited September 2012

Ask @lele0108

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• TazTaz Disabled

Looks nice. Keep us uptodate with your experience.

• I am going down to get a tour of their DC soon. I live about hour and half away from them.

• I have servers ordered, none delivered so far D:

~ Jimmy VortexUnit. Who likes poptart.cats?
  • TazTaz Disabled

How long have you been waiting for?

• They look good emailed them :)

• Why is it that datacenters have the oldest most out dated websites with no real information on them?

• lele0108lele0108 Member
    edited September 2012

About 5 days ago. Calling them once I get home. They do answer phones.

Can't say much, since the rate I get the servers are insanely cheap. Also, just a note, both servers are customized with extra RAM and disks, so that might be why.

• They told me about 1-2 days ago that they're 2 weeks out on 1230 orders with 50+ orders to fill, I guess it might take a while since they offer at such a low price.

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

• They no pick up phones now, and they are one day behind the time they gave me for setup.

• 30 minutes response time...

Hi Jack,

How are you? Thanks for your email.

We can customize any server you would need but our current offers now are:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dual Xeon 5420
    16 GB RAM
    500 or 1 TB HDD
    /29
    100 Mbps Unmetered
    $50.00 per month

1230v2
    16 GB RAM
    500 or 1 TB HDD
    /29
    100 Mbps Unmetered
    $65.00 per month

We also do have some X3430's for $40 per month (2 x 500 HD; 12 GB RAM).

We also have 5620's in stock.

The 1230v2's are about 2 weeks out on delivery (back order).

Thanks,
    Mike

• And 50+ orders sounds sketchy, because my invoice was like #24 and #33.

• JarJar Member
    edited September 2012

I would be careful about ordering from them. The deal they gave me was less than any of the ones you guys have listed. I'm not listing it because I don't want to tempt people. I asked for their AS number after they claimed to have 6 upstream providers, no response since. Matching company name found lists 2 upstream providers, and their test IP is registered to level3. This is all after they talked themselves up on the phone as a really big, quality, non-cheap datacenter. Talked with mike on the phone for probably around a half hour. The pieces don't add up yet. I'm not saying they won't add up and prove me wrong, but be careful.

Another interesting note was that they came to me. Unsolicited email. I'll forgive it, doesn't bother me, but it's noteworthy.

• VictorVictor Member
    edited September 2012

Has anyone taken a tour of their DC?

EDIT: Just noticed their pricing seem to be different by +- $5 on all emails, including my own.

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

• Got this from Mike:

Hi Jimmy,

I will check.

We had a new shipment of serves coming in today. We were expecting 40 but only 26 came. I’m checking to see where your server is in the queue.

Thanks, Mike

• Yay cogent and qwest, and why did the test IP they gave me belong to level3?

• @jarland Are cogent and qwest good networks to have?

• JarJar Member
    edited September 2012

In the mix, sure. As the only two when they told me they have six, not as good as promised. Qwest isn't bad IMO I'm just wondering where the other 4 are...

• @liam said: To be fair, I have to admit; I spoke with Mike last year when I was considering putting a server on the east coast.

Yea, I spoke with Mike as well, seems like it's a family business as most of the stuff are registered to Chris Jones while Mike Jones is shown as secretary. I might get a server from them for testing once they finish their current queue.

• Some things sound a bit fishy; outdated site for what you'd expect for a budget provider, not many reviews, long domain life.... I'm unsure, I hope it's legit.

• I know others that have servers with them.

My own experience of ordering was terrible and after the long delays, broken promises and server being delivered with only half the ram I asked for, I didn't even bother logging in and requested a refund. Still waiting on that, actually.

• That looks pretty good if it's legit, going to give them a call later on.

• Okey, those are some really nice deals... That won't pay out to them even in 2 years (the e3's)

• qWest is great enough to cover for Cogent's shortcomings, I see no problem with the net for the price you'll be paying.

-- BOFH

Thanked by 1klikli
  • JarJar Member
    edited September 2012

@Wintereise Good enough to make up for the claim that they have 6 upstream providers? That's what Mike told me. Still fishy.

• @jarland said: Good enough to make up for the claim that they have 6 upstream providers? That's what Mike told me. Still fishy.

Who cares.. They have quad core xeon servers for 40$, that's like 2-3 times cheaper than the cheap providers.. If they do deliver and are somewhat reliable, noone should really care about the network, you won't get a better thing for that pricing.

• I care about honesty ;)

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • @jarland said: I care about honesty ;)

You've got a point.

Thanked by 1Jar
  • It is not just the number of upstreams that make a network premium. You can have the best upstreams possible and overload your links like hell - this doesn't make your internet premium.

• Well, comcast is a cable TV operator, phone operator and what not. Such mastodonts are usually very clumsy and their IP network is not managed very well. While Cogent is a pure IP provider so all they do is IP netowrks and they manage their network well.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Well I do believe that they have a cage or two at equinix Ashburn dc2 as that was offered to me so they could be talking about that location in terms of uplink?

• I think they have a cross-connect between the two.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited September 2012

Did anyone notice their SLAs:

99.999+ % Power availability.
    99.99+% Temperature & Humidity availability.
    99.00+% Cross Connect availability.

What about network availability? Wasn't able to find anything in their Terms of Service about it.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited September 2012

Additionally, anyone know where their datacenter is physically located?

There's this listed on their site:

Easy access from 95 North.

If it means I-95, it covers about 8 states on the East coast of the United States, so doesn't help to narrow it down...

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • @Damian

DC1 Joh Ave Baltimore, MD 1430 Joh Ave Baltimore, MD 21202

• Im heading down there in less than a week, is there any questions you guys want me to ask?

• JarJar Member
    edited September 2012

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Baltimore-MD/New-Birth-African-Methodist-Episcopal-Church-L2386811146.htm http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14108636/1430-Joh-Ave-Baltimore-MD/

Google maps doesn't help much. Offices do seem to be addressed each by their own number and not something like 1430 #1, #2, etc. judging by the sign stating 1420-1430 on a very small stretch of offices there (I could be wrong, no idea what's behind this building up front beyond satellite view, it could be the building in the back). No sign for commercial media, but who's to say how up to date street view is there or if they even have a sign.

Hard to say. Interested in what @Spencer finds out. Ask how long they have been there and if they have been in the business prior to this. Mike really talked them up like they were a big time datacenter that had been around for years and had a lot of high profile clients. That's the big part I'm not sold on, but I obviously don't want to miss out on a good deal if they are legit. That's why I seem so interested in this. If it seems too good to be true it usually is, but man would I hate to miss the boat ;)

• @Spencer find out information such as who have they been in business with, why we've never heard of them; why there isnt an easy ordering feature on their site... etc.

Curious, you may just walk into a trap and die ;(!

• Oh also ask them why they don't have an SSL certificate on their whmcs... Hopefully my personal data is safe

• They're colocated with Reliable Hosting Services at its BWI2 site: reliablehostingservices.net/baltimore2.php

I drove by this morning on my way to work and note 1430 Joh is one of the more anonymous data centers I've visited, even by DC standards. I didn't see either firms' names or initials out front or on the building (not unusual) and with the street number missing (on purpose?) from the building, can only confirm there is a sizable generator in the back. The Cogent and Qwest lines suggest a metro network to me, but internet sources like this (datacentermap.com/usa/maryland/baltimore/commercial-media_connectivity.html) suggest other carriers might be available.

Thanked by 2Jar Damian
  • Oh, they advertised 6 upstreams?

Probably meant on-net, but anyway, why not confront Mike about it?

Send him to the link to any BGP announce aggregator and ask for an explanation, simple.

-- BOFH

• @Wintereise said: Probably meant on-net, but anyway, why not confront Mike about it?

I asked, never heard a word back. I mean I'd love to be wrong but I'm caught between a great offer and that nagging feeling that something isn't right. So I'm on the edge of my seat on this one ;)