Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about 100% uptime SLA?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think about 100% uptime SLA?

JunJun Member
edited August 2011 in General

I often find 100% uptime SLA in many VPS/dedi offers
However, whenever I look close to their SLA, I can't find them attractive.

For example, one of the 100% uptime SLA I found :

100% network uptime
One day credit for each hour of network downtime

However, 99.9% uptime means less than 43.2 minutes downtime SLA while I cannot get any compensation for 43.2 minutes downtime according to 100% uptime SLA :(

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2011

Nobody offers 100% uptime SLA and those that do use it as a marketing gimmick like "unlimited disk space". Even Amazon who has a completely redundant data center and cloud infrastructure only offers a 99.999999999% uptime SLA.

I've never seen a data center that offers 100% uptime and any provider willing to offer a better SLA than their data center (unless in a HA failover cluster in multiple data centers) is crazy IMO.

• Nobody offers 100% uptime SLA

I've seen it.

Usually when you see that, the fine print is that it's for the network within the datacenter and/or the uplinks going out of the datacenter.

And with a dozen disclaimers....

• I've Seen Securedservers offer it but yet to see the catch

• It's always a plus to provide a reference link. :)

• JunJun Member

I can't believe people here aren't used to 100% uptime SLA. Just look through WHT vps offer page and you can find at least one in one page.

• Jun, I believe VmlIT was discussing a specific provider. That's one of the reasons why suggested providing a reference link.

It's probably these folks though although google'ing for that name as well as the 100% phrase pulls up quite a few of them, many with similar names:

http://www.securedservers.com/network.php

• That's them.

"100% Network Uptime Guarantee
    We guarantee the network will be available 100% of the time during the billing cycle of your servers. Our BGP blended network is self-healing and each network cable has been rigorously pretested before being deployed in a production environment. Click here to learn more about our network topology. "

• Having an 100% uptime guarantee its almost imposible, even the biggest Data Centers have had issues, most of them Power Related:
    dreamhost,
    softlayer,
    he,
    Amazon EC2,
    Amazon and Microsoft Data Centers,
    LunarPages,
    Hostway.

Some of them are old, some are recent, in the end they all need to fight against mother nature, and stupid mistakes or accidents made by people.

If you truly want 100%, like

KuJoe said: you need HA failover cluster in multiple data centers

• Makes me wonder why those power generators are doing sitting outside of those datacenters.

Don't forget ev1's fire/power room blowing up:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/webmaster/3663978.htm

• 100 % uptime really not possible (except the cloud) but still many people say they say 100 network uptime not uptime.

so you've to look close on their statements.

thanks

• Would you think 100% uptime or network uptime is possible, not really, as mentioned the biggest providers has issues.

Personally am not yet fully convinced that cloud also has 100% uptime. Although it does look like that.

• I don't think 100% is possible unless you're using different datacenters far away from one another.

We had a power outage a few years ago that took out pretty much the US northeast and much of the Ohio area. I remember David Letterman sitting in a dark studio apologizing for having to run a repeat. I'm sure the idea of throwing him and the rest of the staff on a bus and taking them elsewhere had been discussed.

• @Dr yes problems can occur in whole network, that might only be possible if the data centers are pretty far away.

Regards

• @WebsHosting, can you please use the forum software correctly? It's @drmike, not @dr. We have a couple of folks here with doctorates anyway.

Again, the "Industry Leading" in your sig is showing to be ironic.

• @dr if you're a folk then why are you trying to prove me that you're ? Or I'm coming to get help from you ? This platform is to get help and help others not to fight for names and things.

I mean to let you understand and I've done is by just @dr too. So I just thought not to write a full string.

• 100% uptime guarantee is not possible without a bunch of disclaimers in the fine print. In reality 99.9% is the best that can be offered.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I always think with the 100% uptime Guarantee there is 2 ways to look at it.

1) It is used as sales/marketing tactic with a load of 'small print' that makes it almost impossible for the provider to be held to it. I don't like that very much.

2) It is an SLA measurable that they are willing to stand by, i.e. a target and as such they are fully willing to compensate if it is not met, I don't mind that so much but at the same time I don't like unrealistic expectations.

• I have to agree with a lot of people already;

100% Uptime Guarantee is a marketing tact in the same realms as offering an "Unlimited" amount of disk space. And, when you look at it, the amount of legal 'waffle' surrounding it shows exactly how convoluted it is as an offer.

But, then again, people - as have I - use "Unlimited" disk space hosting, so if you can get away with it in your legal disclaimers; I don't see why it should be all-that frowned upon as a marketing idea.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2011

It's frowned upon because it's lying. Imagine if somebody sold you a product that was advertised to do something but in the fine print you find out it doesn't actually do it.

I won't get into an argument with you here, but your AUP is a perfect example of why "unlimited" providers are looked down upon.

I just did some quick math, and assuming each HTML file was 100KB (which is massive for an HTML file) the most disk space you allow your users to have on their shared hosting is 5GB (this does not include e-mail, databases, or files already placed in the /home/user directory). In actuallity, your Large and Unlimited plans are restricted to the same amount of disk space as your Medium plan. Now you can see why it's frowned upon.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

@KuJoe It's frowned upon because it's lying.

Agreed. I see this quite often in the shared industry when I have to explain to clients who have been ToS'ed elsewhere what "unlimited" really means. There's one provider out there whose ToS actually says 15gigs of space while their website says unlimited.