Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

[Unofficial] BuyVM New website preview.

[Unofficial] BuyVM New website preview.

SonicVPSSonicVPS Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hi guys,

Our web designer had a bit of spare time, so I asked him to make a new one site for BuyVM.

Current site:http://www.buyvm.net Unofficial new site preview: http://kodohost.com/buyvm/

We are a colo customer of theirs and I a really appreciate how Francisco always goes above and beyond to provide assistance. Even here within the community, he's commonly one of the first to offer lend a hand when needed.

This is just a way of showing our appreciation.

What are your thoughts on this new design compared to the old?

Comments

• Yeah both sites are extremely slow on my end too.

• horribly horribly slow.

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen Based - SolusVM Control Panel - TUN/PPP/FUSE/SIT/GRE - cPanel/DirectAdmin/Parallels - Chicago/Buffalo/LA Coming Soon! - Great Support!

• Quite slow, with a few broken images (translation-related across the top) and javascript issues. Looks nice, though.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited September 2012

seems like network issue on their end. ping time out from here

nevermind

• jarlandjarland Member
    edited September 2012

Works great from here. Love it! Some issues with some of the images at the top and the last nav entry pops down to a second row, but that's just repair work ;)

jarland.me | Read about my new hosting experiment.

• BuyVM's site is down?

"The server at buyvm.net is taking too long to respond."

• I hardly think load speed is relevant on a test/beta/preview.

That said, that typeface is focking horrible & the old school green on black terrifies me back to my past working on mono VDUs so I'm not a fan. Sorry.

• @Night said: BuyVM's site is down?

"The server at buyvm.net is taking too long to respond."

Alas.

Our stuff at awknet melted and Justin has been slow to debugging what broke. For now the filtering range is at home until he addresses it fully. Hopefully this is the end of the headaches at least.

Francisco

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel
    Thanked by 1klikli
  • To be honest its not that great, the current (its so crappy its good) site is more readable with the darks, its also not really creative as its the old site with a slight upgrade and not great font.

Thanked by 1haphan
  • It's not as readable. Agree. It doesn't stand out. There isn't enough contrast. Isn't as flashy either. The old site is less fancy but more usable.

Also would cater for the 2 locations now.

Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • TazTaz Disabled

If buyvm do gets a redisgn, it should be done by either Harzem or Jay. Two of the best web designer I have ever seen in my whole life.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @HC_Ro said: the current (its so crappy its good) site

So true! But it's so good...

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • I have bad news and good news..

Bad news : It's too slow to open it in my side.. Good news : My home connectivity is always slow.. :D

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @Rikimaru90 said: Bad news : It's too slow to open it in my side.. Good news : My home connectivity is always slow.. :D

It's slow because he's pulling the .js off the BuyVM site, which is currently nullrouted.

I'm surprised the current buyvm site gets the love it does. I built it in a couple days :P

Francisco

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel
  • @Rikimaru90 said: Bad news : It's too slow to open it in my side.. Good news : My home connectivity is always slow.. :D

Same here, haha, still loading... I go grab a coffee instead wait for it =D

• no offense, but i like the current buyvm site better. friendly to my eyes (clear and very readable).

• I find the new one difficult to read

• tinyraytinyray Member
    edited September 2012

color palette too bad. however, styles so good.

• @winston said: I find the new one difficult to read

Agreed... Maybe more weight at fonts? But I love it's new design, cool bro..

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

• There's not enough contrast between the text and the background color. Give it some more lightness and it will look good. I also think the current BuyVM site looks good, but could use a little less text/background contrast.

• NightNight Member
    edited September 2012

I do like the design personally, though I do think it does need a font change.

• I like everything except this page:

http://kodohost.com/buyvm/faq.html

The text behind the green makes it really hard to see, IMO.

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • I like it.

/me is colorblind.

• The green on green is bad, and I really really don't like the super-anorexic font.

• Nice design

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - my blog | Server Uptime status
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • Too dark for me, makes it hard to compare the plans properly.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • Wow! This is a huge improvement over the old one.

Thanked by (1): NateN34.

• Not loading for me here... will try again later I guess.

LowEndTalk has guidelines? | Follow LowEndNetwork on twitter & win!
  • from the middle to top, me no like. middle to bottom, me likey

• ChiefChief Member
    edited September 2012

Works now, seems to be up and down like a yoyo according to posts here.

New site looks nice, not sure what that green thing on the left of the BuyVM wording up the top is meant to be, but overall a nice improvement visually however practically harder to read.

• So looks like it just needs a font / colour change.

I think I'll throw it over and he Fran can address these. :P

• It's.... different. I mean the old is more a landing zone before the cart. The new call for contents. I like the general idea of the new..

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • I like it, and I like the logo as well, but still not sure what the logo is, all I can workout is "VM".

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

• both loads very slow

• RandyRandy Disabled
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk your hawk logo is covering your text on your site on the header

• Not too sure about the font...

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• +1 about the font... Looks like something that should be on alienvps... other than that I like it...

• Use the Ubuntu font;

In the last 3 web projects I've worked on (including our site), I've scratched my head about what font to choose, then just gone "f*** this, I'm just going to use the Ubuntu system font". It seems to fit anything.

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• Looks good but not fan of the font as others mentioned especially on FAQ page looks "childish"

Also is it me or this is displaced? http://prntscr.com/fgjjq (Mac OSX - Safari)

• @StormVZ said: Also is it me or this is displaced? http://prntscr.com/fgjjq (Mac OSX - Safari)

Same with OS X and Chrome.

Daniel.

• Looks good but not sure about the font

Put your small hosting business on auto-pilot with Loading Deck
  • LiamLiam Retired Staff

On the whole, I like it but the font and the green text could be improved. Not sure about the logo but everything else looks great.

Retired LowEndBox & LowEndTalk staff.
  • WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited September 2012

The font is a bit iffy imo as well, other than that, great job guys :)

-- BOFH

• The capital "V" in that font looks far too much like a "U" for it to be a good idea to use it anywhere that you're selling KVM-based VPSes...

Lead Developer - HostGuard Control Panel

• @NickM said: The capital "V" in that font looks far too much like a "U" for it to be a good idea to use it anywhere that you're selling KVM-based VPSes...

LMAO

• Error establishing a database connection for http://kodohost.com/whmcs/ font is wrong and to little - reading is problem agree with tinyray ,,color palette too bad. however, styles so good,, - maybe idea so good neon green, roto baners hm.. with 1280 by 768 screen full screen with banner, to big header opening page with noscript or similar firefox addon is very informative slow or no load ,,logo,, is .... posting unfinished design hosted on crappy server is not good
    Good luck

• SonicVPSSonicVPS Member
    edited September 2012

It's not an unfinished server - that site has nothing to do with the preview, was just the easiest place to dump it at the time.

So far every one has pretty much agreed on the things that need to be worked on.

I'll take a look at this unless Fran wants to finish these off himself, I doubt he has time for this though, and it's some thing that was done in the first place because of this - I also thought the original could be improved.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

• @SonicVPS said: I doubt he has time for this though

Yes, playing League of Legends is a bit of a time vampire....

Thanked by 1Taz