Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

What do you use your LEB for?

What do you use your LEB for?

JackJack Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hi,

I thought I would post a topic that wasn't an offer for once.

I know there are 2-3 of these open but they seem to have died down.

So what do you use them for...

I find it interesting in what the Low-end-Community uses their LEB's for...

As then I may think oh that's cool and use a box for that myself :)

Anyway Type away...

Please no troll posts.

Tagged:
Thanked by 1Committing

Comments

• Primary reason: To dance.

Secondary reason: To sell LEB VPSs.

BigScoots.com -- a 100% positively reviewed premium grade Shared, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated hosting company that specializes in industry leading support and management. Check us out today and experience the difference!

Thanked by 1Jack
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator
    edited August 2012
    • Webhosting
    • Online Radio
    • Demo java webapp to client
    • Code Repo
    • File Backup
    • Learn linux
    Thanked by 1Committing
  • Streaming media, and a website or two.

"We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
  • LEB 1: Website LEB 2: Backup of website + database etc. LEB 3: Little personal project ;)

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• Anymore uses?

• Get help with nginx and ddos tools and to have a good time, relax. Enjoy reading post's from hosting ceo's/etc.

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • @Nexus said: Get help with nginx and ddos tools and to have a good time, relax. Enjoy reading post's from hosting ceo's/etc.

Wrong topic mate.

• Oops, totally misread this topic, my bad I apologize.

I use my LEB for a little forum I made and to jump into linux and get used to the functions and familiarize myself with all of them, copy most of them in my notepad folder for later use, incase I switch hosts or whatnot. I come from a PHP background, so not to be rude, but linux is a totally different ball game as in terms of commands and coding, I like it. And my LEB makes me experiment with linux and stuff, I just enjoy it.

• Competing with @AsadHaider.

• To get all your IPs listed on spamhaus, muhaha

• @Spencer said: To get all your IPs listed on spamhaus, muhaha

Thought that was Randy's job?

1. Cloud "storage" with owncloud
    2. Podcasting
    3. VPNS ( I have two, want another in the UK for doctor who :()
    4. Private IRC Networks
    5. VOIP
    6. Minecraft.. :D not anymore though.
    7. .....
    8. to Win!
    1. Code stuff
    2. Code more stuff
    3. Break stuff
    4. Stuff is broken
    5. Code something which doesn't break something
    6. It breaks something
    7. I fix it
    8. Code other stuff

loadbalancing/torrenting/streaming/coding

Transparency: I work for Nodisto and all subsequent businesses: Backupsy, VPSDime, Winity, Cloudive, and DotVPS. My opinions represented through posts on this forum are mine and not the opinions of these businesses unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • I use my biggest VPS to host more VPSes! My little ones I use to host websites, email, dns and a VPN. In the future, I'm going to add an XMPP network and cloud storage.

• To show off that I have many VPS's

• web servers, VPN with ipv6 tunnel, ddos filter, irc, dns, backup storage, hosting smaller LEBs, etc

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • @David_P said: Cloud "storage" with owncloud

Have you found a way to link multiple VPS' for owncloud or by cloud do you mean a single vps with a single provider on a single node?

• @jack. its my fruad customers job. my job is to delist them

• David_PDavid_P Member
    edited September 2012

@luma said: Have you found a way to link multiple VPS' for owncloud or by cloud do you mean a single vps with a single provider on a single node?

single vps with a single provider on a single node..

there is an option for external storage - yet to find out how it works lol..

• sodasoda Member
    edited September 2012

i've bought LEB vps just for leanring configuation of webserver and everything on linux :)

currently i haven't hosted any website in my LEB, at the moment i use my LEB vps for pptp vpn + socks 5 proxy for personal usage :)

currenly status of my 96mb LEB vps , i've installed nginx + phpFPM + mysql (without innodb) + phpmyadmin + pptp + socks5 + sendmail + pure-ftpd

those program above used only 35mb ram from total 96mb ram and i think it's best config/tweak/tune that i've ever learnt.

• Learning linux mainly. @soda, can you share your nginx, php-fpm and mysql configuration? ;)

• @soda you can get rid of pure-ftpd and mocks and just use OpenSSHs sftp/inbuild proxy function.

@Topic: Just gameservers, nothing else.

President Of Operations/CEO/CFO/CTO/COO of my account

• @budingyun said: Learning linux mainly. @soda, can you share your nginx, php-fpm and mysql configuration? ;)

@budingyun Try this http://freevps.us/thread-528-page-1.html :)

• @Jack said: @budingyun Try this http://freevps.us/thread-528-page-1.html :)

I install and setup all configuration manually. So far it's good, just wondering why wordpress back end using much memory when installing theme and plugin.

• sodasoda Member
    edited September 2012

@budingyun google it and you'll find alot of tutorial about setup and config nginx phpfpm

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+install+nginx+phpfpm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a http://www.google.com/search?q=nginx+phpfpm&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&oq=nginx+phpfpm&gs_l=heirloom-serp.3...77371.77371.0.77702.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.382sX9UW2Lo

@gsrdgrdghd if you were installed wordpress you might have noticed that wordpress need ftp account to install plugin , it needed ftp account to fetch plugin and install plugin remotely via admin panel, and about socks i would say that socks5 proxy is too much faster than ssh tunnelling.

• @soda said: google it and you'll find alot of tutorial about setup and config nginx phpfpm

I know how to configure. Just want to know your configuration. :)

• @soda said: if you were installed wordpress you might have noticed that wordpress need ftp account to install plugin , it needed ftp account to fetch plugin and install plugin remotely via admin pane

It is because your web server have no write permission to wordpress files / folders.

Thanked by 1gkz
  • @NanoG6 said: It is because your web server have no write permission to wordpress files / folders.

need also something like FS_DIRECT set in wp-config. cant remember exactly the name.

• @soda if you set the proper user account and permissions. You won't need ftp to install WP plugins.

• maybe, but pure-ftpd is lightweight and it uses lower than 1mb ram , and it doesn't really matter at all...

@budingyun check this one: h++p://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2011/nginx-and-php-fpm-configuration-and-optimizing-tips-and-tricks/

also you need to reduce phpfpm values and also you should uninstall and remove phpcache if you have .

• just some : chown -R www-data:www-data /web/path

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited September 2012

@gkz said: just some : chown -R www-data:www-data /web/path

ah, i was going to write the same thing :)

two moodle, 3 wordpress... webserver

(gonna install vcn and proxy soon)

learning linux, vps, xen kvm and openvz systems

20GB free space in COPY.com (opens in a new tab)(really...)

• Mainly to host a game server and a Teamspeak server. Oh, and I'm running nginx in case I need to share something.

• For all my vps, I'm configuring it using Maxexcloo Minstall v1 + OpenVPN + Squid + PPTPD (if enabled) + Munin (if needed) + NewRelic (if needed)

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - powered by Prometeus XenBiz | Server Uptime status - powered by Prometeus Xen Pune
    I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.
  • Centos 6 x86 + wordpress + nginx + php-fpm + apc + varnish + mariadb = 50mb memory usage. But when i'm using wp back end such install plugin or theme memory usage will spike. It's php-fpm pool that use large number of memory. Any suggestion?

• Centos 6 x86 + wordpress + nginx + php-fpm + apc + varnish + mariadb = 50mb memory usage. But when i'm using wp back end such install plugin or theme memory usage will spike. It's php-fpm pool that use large number of memory. Any suggestion?

• Maybe thats normal?

www.erawanarifnugroho.com - powered by Prometeus XenBiz | Server Uptime status - powered by Prometeus Xen Pune
  • Even when using all 512mb memory and 512 vswap until php fpm pool killed automatically?

• @soda

I am trying to disable some more crap that I might not need, anyone want to chime in? Looks like I got everything essential for a stable little vps eh?

• @Nexus said: I am trying to disable some more crap that I might not need, anyone want to chime in? Looks like I got everything essential for a stable little vps eh?

Seems like you have plenty of ram leftover but if you want to save a little, use syslog-ng vs the default system logger.

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

top - 00:43:55 up 20 days, 18:18,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    Tasks:  24 total,   1 running,  23 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  0.1%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 99.9%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:    524288k total,   105064k used,   419224k free,        0k buffers
    Swap:   524288k total,     5956k used,   518332k free,    34784k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND            
        1 root      20   0  2028   88   60 S    0  0.0   0:36.70 init               
        2 root      20   0     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 kthreadd/267       
        3 root      20   0     0    0    0 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 khelper/267        
      419 root      20   0  1948  432  324 S    0  0.1   0:05.23 syslogd            
      452 root      20   0  2288  252  188 S    0  0.0   0:04.97 cron               
      475 root      20   0  4492  880  660 S    0  0.2   1:45.20 ntpd               
      505 root      20   0  2708    8    4 S    0  0.0   0:00.04 mysqld_safe        
      856 mysql     20   0 41648  11m 3236 S    0  2.2   6:16.27 mysqld             
      857 root      20   0  1668    8    4 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 logger             
      913 root      20   0  4980 1040  716 S    0  0.2   0:00.16 openvpn            
      943 root      20   0  4904 1616 1248 S    0  0.3   0:22.72 openvpn            
      992 root      20   0  5488  312  212 S    0  0.1   0:00.01 sshd               
     1327 Debian-e  20   0  6512  132   72 S    0  0.0   0:00.39 exim4              
     1496 root      20   0  7144 2660  552 S    0  0.5   2:33.62 munin-node         
     2322 root      20   0 11832  368  240 S    0  0.1   0:00.00 newrelic-daemon    
     2323 root      20   0  100m 2220 1448 S    0  0.4   0:10.38 newrelic-daemon    
     2349 root      20   0  8620  784  136 S    0  0.1   0:00.00 nginx              
     2350 www-data  20   0  9220 2284  980 S    0  0.4   0:04.96 nginx              
     2361 root      20   0 59240 3656 1404 S    0  0.7   0:11.91 php5-fpm           
     2363 www-data  20   0 59220 2972  720 S    0  0.6   0:00.00 php5-fpm           
     3488 root      20   0  1712   96   60 S    0  0.0   0:00.00 tail               
    11708 exityz  20   0 72492  24m  16m S    0  4.8   0:01.69 php5-fpm           
    11721 exityz  20   0 73180  24m  16m S    0  4.9   0:00.82 php5-fpm           
    11749 exityz  20   0  2324  988  800 R    0  0.2   0:00.00 top
  • WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited September 2012

mainly just-for-fun, I have these running on my LEBs 1. Webblog 2. Mail server 3. XMPP 4. Redundant DNS 5. RL 6. VPNs 7. Swagging my very own "branded" server to friends. (got every internet identities with @myname.net)

I'm considering owncloud, though.

What?

• To be a VPS master trainer, until I can catch a VPS called Mewtwo... Mwahahaha...

Just kidding, I use it for my web project.. :D

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

• edited September 2012

What do I use my LEB(s) for? Not much, really:

Currently using this one for a flatfile blog i'm working on and to tunnel some traffic through. Resource usage could be less, but I haven't been too bothered to tweak it all yet as I've got plenty of resources to spare currently. I've got another one that is pretty much the same thing, but has MySQL and some random files on it, thinking about making that one a dev VPS for tinkering and this one a production for a couple sites. We'll see.

vpsBoard.com - Now with over 450 members! A friendly community with active discussion. Come join us!

IRC.FREENODE.NET #vpsBoard - Drop by and say, 'Hello'.
  • VPN's moving out of the UK has many advantages, but the telly is the one thing that the missus moans she misses a lot, so a UK IP is a must.