Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IpxCore Current Status - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IpxCore Current Status

Comments

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

@Pats said: +1 @Randy cool.. thats good comment :)

:) lol. i learned the hard way, so yeah. just a advice for ipxcore :)
    Postman @Pats respond my PM Leh

• DomDom Member

@ElliotJ said: In the UK, we have the Data Protection Act - Even if there isn't a 'public' privacy policy, the UK based company must adhere to it.

If the names posted are genuinely fake then they are essentially pseudonyms (pseudonym is classed as a unique identifier under the DPA, which covers membership/account IDs etc). And pseudonyms are only covered by the DPA if it's possible for someone else, not the original data controller, to discover the real identity of said person.
    So it's a bit of a grey area but if they are pseudonyms and there is no public knowledge linking back to the original identity (highly unlikely in this case), then the screenshot(s) Damian posted wouldn't fall under the UK's DPA.

Whether it infringes other laws i'm not 100% sure but even if it doesn't, it then becomes a question of ethics.....

• really? seriously? All that over a screenshot of fake details?

Thanked by 2TheHackBox Jacob
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

@LAKid said: @Maounique You're over-reacting, Damian didn't post anything, it was fake.

You never complained to Google's privacy policy directly, now picking on a small guy?

that is two different things, this is a public forum. it dosen't matter if its fake or not, You still released details of customers. and its a mistake that cannot be corrected as it has already been done.

• DomDom Member
    edited August 2012

@Randy said: it dosen't matter if its fake or not...

Depends if posting the data in the public domain infringes any laws.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@Dom apart from letting a customer feel if they do something wrong by mistake will their data be splashed across the internet!

Thanked by 2Randy Spirit
  • GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited August 2012

that is two different things, this is a public forum. it dosen't matter if its fake or not, You still released details of customers. and its a mistake that cannot be corrected as it has already been done.

!(http://files-cdn.formspring.me/photos/20120123/n4f1e259fac26f.jpg)

• @GIANT_CRAB said: that is two different things, this is a public forum. it dosen't matter if its fake or not, You still released details of customers. and its a mistake that cannot be corrected as it has already been done.

!(http://files-cdn.formspring.me/photos/20120123/n4f1e259fac26f.jpg)

i am just sharing my views, that is all.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited August 2012

@httpzoom said: @Dom apart from letting a customer feel if they do something wrong by mistake will their data be splashed across the internet!

Ah, and there's the pivot! This wasn't a mistake, it was obvious and willing.

For example, I suspended a client today because their VPS was compromised somehow and someone was running SSH scanner from it. Please let me know when you see their client info.

• This is so stupid.

Use your real names sissies.

Charlie mutha^$&5n Cron

Thanked by 1NickM
  • "Willful" that's the word.
    Apple vs Samsung, Jury found Samsung was guilty by "Wilful act", and awarded $1 billion,
    according to US law, if it's "wilful", the judge can increase the fine by 3 folds, to $3 billion.
    Punishment fits the crime? It's up to you to argue, but in this case, Damian was the judge to his own product. So I think nobody can say he's right or wrong, it's his., not mine or not anybody else's.

• DomDom Member

@httpzoom said: apart from letting a customer feel if they do something wrong by mistake will their data be splashed across the internet!

No, the provider would have to uphold their end of the various privacy laws which would prevent the above from happening. If the provider fails to do this then the customer has the right to seek action against them.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@Dom actions speak louder than words!

Thanked by 1Randy
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

Over-reacting... Well, if it was a genuine mistake, cool, if Damian stands by his act and tries to prove it was right, then a debate is needed to see whether he was right or wrong. I dont think this is over-reacting, maybe it is his business, but he posted on this forum and we have the right to comment on it.
    So, no, this is no over-reaction, it is a genuine debate about a genuine problem, whom are we entrusting our data to, and is it justified or not for ppl to give fake details for an under 7 $ a month deal.
    M

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Maounique If it was real, then you have every right to criticize, but it was fake, joke, fiction, made-up, not-real, that's why I said it's over-react. wouldn't you agree?

• RandyRandy Member
    edited August 2012

@Maounique i agree on this. i dont think it is over re-acting. not at all.

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

You only think it's overreacting because they disagree with you, whereas you think that you doggedly defending the guy is an appropriate level of reaction.

It doesn't matter if the details were real. The point of the thread was that he wanted to show us all the witty cancellation email he sent. It's self-aggrandizing* "Look At Me" behavior. Most people find that unprofessional. I don't care that he sent the guy a snarky email. I don't care that he posted a fake name, because he he followed his (nonexistent**) privacy policy. My problem is that he's the kind of person who feels the need to puff himself up and brag to the other kids on the play yard about how cool he is.

The question was asked in another thread about whether seeing financial data for a provider would make you feel more secure about doing business with them. Someone mentioned that you can tell more about a company by the personalities of the people that run it. They're right.

*: Look it up.
    **: Which is also unprofessional. If you're collecting people's data you should at least have the courtesy to say, "We reserve the right to use your information for any purpose we desire."

• tl;dr

• @Soylent I don't think he was 'puffing himself up to make himself look like the cool kid'.... It looked to me that he was enriching the thread content instead of posting the same one word sentences that all the other providers around here do.

I suspend a ton of people per week for various abuse related things and I'm sure @Damian is aware that every other provider here does this so he wasn't thinking this made him look cool.

• Welcome to IPXCore Talk, where the post content doesn't matter but the post count does.

That being said -- we've got a weekly rag (magazine) where I live that publishes information about all those folks that went to jail the week before, name, pic, etc. These folks haven't been convicted, merely accused of a indiscretion against the law.

It's a parallel, to what has happened here with the exception (if I've waded through this and understood the matter) it was a violation of the TOS and proof was provided.

@Damian has said he would develop a Privacy Policy next week, No?

Right or Wrong, Apology or No Apology what's done is done, it's how it will be handled in the future from this point on. Could this have been handled better, sure almost anything can and here is what I got out of it. Don't break the TOS/AUP and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Thanked by 2Inglar ipxadam
  • @connercg I also don't understand why people here want to be so 'anonymous'....... Got something to hide?

I haven't been anonymous on the Internet since I first started using it at age 12.

Thanked by 1NickM
  • @connercg said: @Damian has said he would develop a Privacy Policy next week, No?

Yeah, i'm in preparation for moving, so it's on 'the list' for next week.

• I'm not trying to be anonymous and it makes no difference to me if IPXCore has a privacy policy. If I wanted to be 'anonymous' I wouldn't have service with BuyVM.

I stated previously in another thread I live in WV, if anyone is bored they can fire up Google and have it.

• @connercg that wasn't directed at you... but towards everyone here so concerned that people don't know their real names and addresses.

• @Corey No worries -- I missed the context on that one, lol

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

What was made up ? The name ? I gave fake nam

@Corey said: Got something to hide?

So, privacy is a thing of the past, everyone should prove they are not guilty, nowadays... You are from US, right ?
    M

• @Corey said: Got something to hide?

Google "False Dilemma" or "Affirming the Consequent." Or maybe just start with "logical fallacies" and work your way up from there.

What's your social security number? Got something to hide?

• @Maounique Let's calm down, would you answer this question?
    Who's privacy was revealed or invaded or harmed here, just tell me that..:)

• flyfly Member

you guys are all stupid

• @Soylent that is retarded...... Social Security number can be used to steal your identity... name and address not so much.