Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

KVM Snapshot / AutoInstall / Custom ISO?

KVM Snapshot / AutoInstall / Custom ISO?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hi,

I found it very tedious to be installing the ISO from every KVM I have. Is it possible to create a master template somehow like OpenVZ and apply it to future KVMs? I know it's technically possible, but maybe I'm asking if providers provide this or if it's something SolusVM can do etc?

Thanks.

Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
Thanked by 1jcaleb

Comments

  • Here and here

    Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • @Mon5t3r said: Here and here

    I haven't found that on the providers I've used. So it's just a matter of waiting?

    Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • i use it for testing only and make my client aware about the BETA status.

    Yes! I'm with Carstensz Pyramid Server Now stop asking me please :D
  • Expand: I haven't found that on the providers I've used. So it's just a matter of waiting?

    I thought you bought some KVM VPS from me, or was that just OpenVZ?

    Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • @miTgiB said: I thought you bought some KVM VPS from me, or was that just OpenVZ?

    OpenVZ. Looks like I'll have to go to you for KVM too :p. Oh! I remember I was waiting for the SSD Cache from you for KVM!

    Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • JackJack Member

    @concerto49 said: OpenVZ. Looks like I'll have to go to you for KVM too :p. Oh! I remember I was waiting for the SSD Cache from you for KVM!

    Good Choice , Hostigation's KVM's are epic.

  • @concerto49 said: Oh! I remember I was waiting for the SSD Cache from you for KVM!

    ok, well the nodes are built, just waiting for the CacheCade key to try that out and compare it with flashcache. The 1gb of cache on this raid card is wow

    [root@e5la19 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 3.44605 s, 623 MB/s
    
    Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • @miTgiB said: ok, well the nodes are built, just waiting for the CacheCade key to try that out and compare it with flashcache. The 1gb of cache on this raid card is wow

    Awesome.

    Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • @prometeus any chance of implementing KVM templates? ")

    Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • @concerto49 said: any chance of implementing KVM templates? ")

    At this point we will wait for the template feature to be released with the next stable release of SolusVM...

    For our internal provisioning we use PXE with kickstart for centos and preseed for debian / ubuntu. Do you need to install / reinstall more?

    IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • @prometeus said: For our internal provisioning we use PXE with kickstart for centos and preseed for debian / ubuntu. Do you need to install / reinstall more?

    Haven't started - latency to Europe is very high from here and the GUI installer doesn't play nice. Moved on to doing other things after realizing we'd have to go through the install screen. So if we can get debian on them until SolusVM releases the templates that would be good.

    Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • @concerto49 said: So if we can get debian on them until SolusVM releases the templates that would be good.

    After I complete this interminable node migration I'll prepare a standard install preseed for you. Please open a ticket so we can talk about the details :)

    IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • @concerto49 said: I found it very tedious to be installing the ISO from every KVM I have. Is it possible to create a master template somehow like OpenVZ and apply it to future KVMs? I know it's technically possible, but maybe I'm asking if providers provide this or if it's something SolusVM can do etc?

    Even without using the SolusVM beta this is possible we have been doing this for 9 months now.

    LoveVPS - 2GB RAM - 25 GB RAID 10 Spring Sale from $7.00/mo - We provide KVM Virtual Servers with love!

  • @LV_Matt said: Even without using the SolusVM beta this is possible we have been doing this for 9 months now.

    Tried :( UK location out of stock.

    Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • @concerto49 said: Tried :( UK location out of stock.

    Let me see what we have available.

    LoveVPS - 2GB RAM - 25 GB RAID 10 Spring Sale from $7.00/mo - We provide KVM Virtual Servers with love!

Sign In or Register to comment.