Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PHP-FPM opinion needed: 1 pool for all, or 1 pool per site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PHP-FPM opinion needed: 1 pool for all, or 1 pool per site?

dantesdantes Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hey,

I'm trying to find out what would be more efficient memory wise. Using one PHP-FPM pool for all the websites on the server, or to use a pool per site.

Here is my experience so far...

The first logical thing that came up to my mind, is to use a "pool per site" structure. Because it makes more sense... I tried it on OpenVz. But then I ran out of memory pretty fast. It was before I figured out about the "ulimit -s" thing in OpenVz:
http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/reduce-stack-limit-for-multi-thread-apps/

Anyway... I installed my next VPS using only one pool, under "www-data" user. It works fine, however I noticed that the PHP-FPM processes take 2X times more memory in that setup. However, it may be due to having more traffic as well...

The specs for both servers are OpenVz 512Ram with 4 cores.

On which circumstances would you use one-pool-for-all? And when would you use one-pool-per-site?

Thanks.

Comments

• NickMNickM Member
    edited August 2012

I would use one pool per site if I need them separated from each other. For example, if I were letting a couple of other people host their sites on my server, I would give them each a pool under their own user account so that they can't access each other's files.

• If you're the administrator of all the sites, go one pool for all. Also look into using ondemand manager, you won't have unneeded PHP processes unless people are accessing the site.

• @ihatetonyy said: If you're the administrator of all the sites, go one pool for all.

How does that prevent PHP from accessing other users data?

• @bdtech said: How does that prevent PHP from accessing other users data?

Because each pool runs under different user with different permissions...

===============================================

Anyway guys. Here is what I found. I hope you'll find it useful...

The best way to make the most out of your LEB, is actually by using as many POOLS as possible.

I repeat...

You should have as many PHP-FPM pools, as possible... I work now in a setup that creates a pool per website. That way, the memory consumption is lower...

Here is what happens. Whenever a PHP process gets a request, it forks itself. Which means it creates a clone of itself.

So if you have 10 websites on the same pool, each PHP process contains cache/data/etc... for all the websites...

Bottom line... My PHP-FPM processes used to weigh 50MB in the RAM. Now their 1MB-2MB.

I hope it helped...

• aatish910aatish910 Member
    edited August 2012

I also use one pool per website. Since, each pool runs as the owner of the website, permissions related problems automatically vanish. My LEMP script also does the same.

• i use one pool per site