Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Can i install Ubuntu desktop on Xen VPS?

Can i install Ubuntu desktop on Xen VPS?

sonicsonic Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Hi, Can i install Ubuntu desktop on Xen PV? If yes, please link me to tutorial. I want to run Putty on Ubuntu Desktop :D

Comments

• I want to run Putty on Ubuntu Desktop :D

Why would you want to run Putty on Ubuntu? It has the official fully feature support OpenSSH client.

Daniel.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • Tks, i'll try it. Is it ok to install ubuntu desktop on XenPV vps? 256MB Ram is OK?

• @sonic said: Tks, i'll try it. Is it ok to install ubuntu desktop on XenPV vps? 256MB Ram is OK?

I think you'll be pushing it; however if you went with a lightweight desktop environment it might be ok. Look at something like XFCE

Thanked by 1sonic
  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited August 2012

Yes, 256 ram can work. Will not be fast and may put strain on resources. I would suggest 512 RAM. Try xfce4 or lxde. M

Nobody here.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • pcanpcan Member

Tested on KVM 512Mb and Ubuntu 12.04 iso, but you can try on Xen: Install the base system from ISO, then

sudo su apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade aptitude install ubuntu-desktop apt-add-repository ppa:x2go/stable

(if you get a "command not found" error: apt-get install python-software-properties )

apt-get update apt-get install x2goserver

nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config ----> enable ChallengeResponseAuthentication to YES apt-get install x2goserver-xsession

On the x2go client configuration, use this custom command: /usr/bin/gnome-session –session=ubuntu-2d

Thanked by 1sonic
  • xfce is not lightweight enough. lxde is light but maybe something like openbox is more apt

• edited August 2012

You must install Ubuntu Server and lxde, it is a lightweight desktop environment, lxde is only 50MB, after that, you have to install vnc4server to remote your vps

Install lxde: apt-get install --no-install-recommends lxde Install vnc4server: apt-get install vnc4server

at the frist time, you have to login to user you want to run vnc server and type: vnc4server Enter password. VNC Server will run without config and create config file in home directory. (/root or /home/username). Now, you type: vncserver -kill :1 to kill vnc server open .vnc/xstartup in home directory and edit

# unset SESSION_MANAGER # exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

to

unset SESSION_MANAGER exec sh /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

(Remove # and Add "sh") Run vnc server again, type vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x700 -depth 16

Download VNC Viewer, UltraVNC Viewer,... and connect to your vps with VNC Server: IP:1 or IP:5901

exam: 12.34.56.78:5901

Good luck!

• Your other option is using NX instead of VNC, I find it provides a superior desktop experience. You can run LXDE + NX on a Xen 128 but don't plan on doing much else, i.e. firefox.

http://www.sonicboxes.com/?p=69 <--- Barebones LXDE & NX installer, you still need to install any apps you may want to use.

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @nunim said: http://www.sonicboxes.com/?p=69

Gratz, that is a nice tutorial :) M

Nobody here.

• Yes you can install gnome or KDE

Cheap Virtual Private Server!